"Giving Makes You Happy" jw.org video for kids

by Scully 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I actually listened through all the language versions (I know, weird, but I like languages) of the song and the video was the same for them all.

• besty
    besty

" First, examine whether there is bias. What is the motive for the message? If the message is rife with name-calling and loaded words, why is that? Loaded language aside, what are the merits of the message itself? Also, if possible, try to check the track record of those speaking. Are they known to speak the truth? If "authorities" are used, who or what are they? Why should you regard this person—or organization or publication—as having expert knowledge or trustworthy information on the subject in question? If you sense some appeal to emotions, ask yourself, 'When viewed dispassionately, what are the merits of the message?'

Awake, June 22, 2000.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

IM, yes, without knowing the TRUTH about the WTS the video is adorable.

But WE know!!!

Being AWAKE and AWARE does NOT make one 'militant'. (The word YOU used.)

The video seems innocuous, but...

Inculcate (indoctrinate) GIVING (to the society )while they are little moldable sponges.

Just think:

The connect-the-dots cartoon of Lot's wife turning into a pillar of salt was NOT so adorable.

Was it?

Why depict Lot's wife with an agonized look of pain and horror on her face?

Why did the WTS show her face at all?

What was the purpose of that connect-the- dots for the children?

It was meant to instill FEAR!!

OR do YOU see another purpose?

To point something out does not necessary make one paranoid, militant or cynical.

I'm just not going to be lulled back to sleep by what on the surface seems like a sweet cartoon, when giving to others is something the WTS has NOT been known to do.

Brainwash, Rinse, Repeat.

• rmt1
    rmt1

somebody hit something above.

Painting a fence is code for construction work.

Serving refreshments to a landscaper is code for construction work.

Since (), (), and () have wisely advised me not to be cynical, I'll go ahead and wonder out loud, without asserting anything nefarious:

[00:56] "Why is a picture book of third grade level fractions being visibly, recognizably, unmistakably, apparently, optically, visually, coincidentally, mysteriously, cryptically, serendipetously placed at the END of this video that is about giving and has already included signifiers of construction work?"

It can be argued that giving a fraction of a person-hour as a professional painter, or as a professional landscaper, can be easily converted by some rate of exchange into another, more portable, form of value. Human Resources has codes or cost centers where you can assign fractions of a FTE (Full Time Employee) to various tasks. Your job description may specify that 4/5 of your time goes to doing one thing in one department, and the other 1/5 goes to a related skill in some other department. Fractions are all around us and they are convenient short-hand for estimating shares of a collective good, rates of repayment, rates of monthly contribution to retirement, health insurance, taxes, and other things.

It can be argued that a flower is not a reduceable unit of giving. If the makers of the video wanted to associate fractions with giving, for some reason, then including fractions in a video about giving is an excellent way to acheive that. If the makers of the video afterwards wanted to erase the conscious association of fractions with giving, then capping the lesson with an irreducable, unfractionable unit of giving is an excellent way to achieve that (Derrida, Heidegger, sous rature, erasure).

It can also be argued that a flower is not necessarily just a flower, and is by virtue of who the makers are, a signifier of a happy, permanent, global, utopian, extensively landscaped, unerringly painted, future, state.

Fractions can also signify construction, at least in the United States where 2x4s and 1/2 or 3/8 or 3/4 inch plywood coexist. (I do miss quickbuilds. Good times, by themselves.)

• VM44
    VM44

"...yet the WT will take it anyway"

If a JW bought a lotto ticket and won, the Watchtower would accept any money donated to them from the winnings.

Then the local elders would put the JW on reproof!

• besty
    besty

can someone call bethel and record the call - state that you are a disfellowshipped apostate and that you wish to make a donation to the worldwide work - ask them if they shun mentally diseased cash.

• zound
    zound

The Sparlock video can be recognised as cult conditioning just as it is out of context, just look at all the non-JW's who posted video responses to it on youtube.

• caliber
    caliber

Oh, dreary life in want of pure motive

Broken trust set up in such sweetness....

shattered dreams found on the hidden side of the leaf

that reveals it's message so sadly clear

trust those that need you

when you have nothing to offer but yourself

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I repeat I only commented on this particular video and that alone. I did not comment on sparlock, Lot etc... That’s another issue.

• caliber
    caliber

One C.O. once said "Brothers to you think all those little quotes in "watching the world " are just for our amusement ?

(In other words there is a message from the WT for us to learn and accept as truth or fact )

"The Watching the World section of the Awake has a clear agenda of which you have already pointed out:

It aids in allowing the Witnesses create their own fear mongering scanarios while at the same time appearing to be merely "reporting the news."

~~~~Sab

If in such little things as a quote there is an agenda... then what of a complete video ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit