Feeling Disfellowshipped

by meep5 24 Replies latest jw friends

• meep5
    meep5

Let me briefly explain my back-story: I grew up in a JW household and was technically a JW until 20 years old. I stopped attending meetings in 1998 and told my parents I was done in 1999. I'm not sure where I saw my future when I was 19 but I know for a fact I didn't see myself as a "Witness" then. I hated the hypocrisy and the extreme gossip. I also noticed how the Dogma for JWs is even more severe than the Dogma of the Catholic religion. I saw too much that didn't mesh with my critical thinking mind and I could not hang on any more.

I'm sure what happened next is not isolated to just my case but after my disillusionment I wound up fighting suicidal leanings and drug addiction. I was in a very bad way and I had nobody at all to lean on as all my friends were JWs. I chose to walk away quietly rather than risk being disfellowshipped since I knew that would mean not even being able to carry on a normal conversation with my family. I lost a lot in leaving but I also gained a lot. I conquered most of my demons and wound up marrying someone that I love deeply. I now have a child and another on the way. My life healed and the damage done by the JWs is difficult to see but trust me it's still there and will continue to be for some time. I do still speak with my parents and my father's health is poor. He really appreciates talking to me and seeing my kid and hearing me talk about how well we are doing. My mother on the other hand is the typical JW. She has nothing but pure hate toward me and I feel sick every time I talk to her. Tonight I called to say hi as I do at least once every four weeks and I got her instead of dad. She made yet another lame excuse and said she would hand me off to dad but she was visiting friends.

It really hurts every time I have to speak to her and even my wife can't understand. That's actually why I joined this forum. If you weren't a JW you probably can't understand the feeling associated with leaving and the pain of interacting with those still in. The best way I can describe it to outsiders is that it's one inch from being a cult. It is not a cult but it isn't far from it so when you leave there are consequences. Just like a cult which will always assure you that you can leave anytime. Of course if you do you're screwed but help yourself and leave.

Anyway. When I spoke to my mom it hit me especially hard this time. She has basically disowned me and if my dad dies before her which is likely, she will definitely not speak to me at all. It hurts a lot. The last time I had a real conversation with her it didn't go well at all. She noted that we celebrate the holidays and a relative had mentioned seeing my son in holiday pictures. She then made the mistake of saying that it was a shame to see him being raised that way. That infuriated me to the point that I threatened to cancel our planned trip to see them and let them meet my son. I still have trouble understanding how a religion that claims they have nothing but love can be fueled by so much hatred.

I took a personal vow a long time ago to not speak ill of JWs in trade for being able to keep speaking to my parents. I.E.: I didn't want to be branded an apostate but now I think this religion is evil enough that silence itself is a sin. In fact it is a twisted version of what Charles Taze Russell envisioned. Not that I support that either mind you. After leaving I did some experimenting with other religions before finding the real truth. The Truth is that we don't know what the truth is. The only spiritual path that agrees on that is Agnosticism and thus I wound up being Agnostic. Ask a JW and they will tell you agnostics sit on the fence but the truth is that we aren't so arrogant to believe we know all the answers. Ah well I just feel a bit depressed after my call and subsequent 30 second conversation with my mom. I wish she wasn't so ignorant and blinded but the other side of the picture is that if she was not a JW she would not have the support network necessary to take care of my father.

I fear that the day my dad dies will also be the day I lose all contact with my former family as I do not believe my mother will ever want to speak to me again and the worst part of it to me is that her parents were devout Catholics who shunned her when she became a JW and treated her the same way she treats me. She even took me to a shrink once because she believed my questions about the JW religion indicated a mental health problem and stormed out when she was told otherwise by the doctor. Enough venting, thanks for being there and listening to my problems.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Meep5 first I want to say its nice to meet you! I'm glad you are here and that you posted. Welcome!

im sorry about what you are going through. I think it will be what I go through in another ten hears or so. I just left quietly with fam wife and child this year. I'm sorry again for the pain you are enduring. It isnt fair and I think they are a cult.

Hang in there man.

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Welcome meep5...I can your feel pain Man! along with whole lot a folks on this forum...People who haven't been thru this 'shithole cult' just don't understand. how can they?..But we do!!! ..So RANT and RAGE when they shake your Cage. We totally understand....Congratulations on your little one and one on the way. Glad you're here. insot4

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Welcome matey.

Your story intrigues me. It's hard not to notice the gossip and dogmatic judgemental approach to life when you're in JWs more than a few years, and it seems to be a common thread with every ex-JW here, no matter if we come from US, UK, Australia, South Africa, Europe. So much for the most loving people on Earth.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi there Meep5, It is very nice to meet you. I am so very sorry your mom is treating you, her son, this way. ((((Hugs to you with tears runnung down my cheeks))))) The Governing Body with their twisted rules and regulations, played out with verbal whips, to get their free labor/publisher's to do what they want them to do, has your mom under their control. As you know, it is not normal for a mother to act that way. FacePalm... You are new here, so a very warm welcome to you here on JWN. You can say what you need to say or share what you want, and get it off your chest. After you post, you have 30 minutes to change or delete anything you choose. There is a little yellow pencil on your top right. Just hit it for changes. Just Lois I hope this is not going to be one big paragraph.

• Rebecca 619
    Rebecca 619

meep5: i am so sorry for the way your mother is treating you,i cant even imagine that my son is dfd hes only 20, and i will never disown him hes everything to me the shunning part of beibg a jw is very hurtful and painful,i see my sons anguish everyone ge grew up with is a jw and now no one can even acknoledge him,in fact we just had a conversation a few minutes ago, he notices i wont go to service or meetings if hes home, he gets depressed, or if someone invites me over, i ask him if he has plans if he doent i stay with him,he said he feels hes holding me back spiritually, i reassuerred him id much rather hang out with him than anyone at kh, the desfellowshipping is the worst thing,it is very hurtful especally when your young and vulnerable, hang in there hopefully your mom will change.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I would suggest using "search" and type in Billy-the-Ex-Bethelite. He is a fader and his parents are "in". He has some pretty intriguing ideas he uses in the quest to wake his parents up but also to keep the lines of communication open. He could write a book about his adventures in maintaining his "fade" status. He is a laid back, intelligent guy, that has been there and back AND bought the t-shirt. lol I also suggest you PM, private message him, or anyone else you feel like. Do not ever feel like you are alone. YOU ARE NOT. Just Lois I am sorry this paragraph is probably gonna be one greatta bigga meat ball. lol

• meep5
    meep5

I get what you are suggesting Lois but at this point my parents are depndent on the congregation. If I "woke them up" and they were compelled to leave they would be without any real support. I suppose I should mention that I live 1,200 miles from them. They have nobody other than the congregation. I don't really like the situation but it is what it is. I do see the positives of having a family environment that helps out those in the community. I just disagree with the cult like shunning of non-believers.

To top it off, I inherited my mother's stubborness. I would take a literal act of god to convince her to leave the JW religion. What I want is just for her to speak to me for a few minutes instead of acting like I'm not worthy of her time. If it wern't for my dad I bet she wouldn't even take my calls. I see no real solution to this situation. After all I do know that just as I can't convince her to leave the JWs, you could never convince me to rejoin. It does go both ways.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Coming here is a very good way to vent your frustrations. Yes, we understand that no one else could know what it is like to have been a JW and leave. Please be patient with your mother. She is a loyal JW, which at one time I was-but now I'm here. We don't know what the future holds. She may need you in the future for help with your dad. Don't cut off communication now or it will be hard later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit