Feeling Disfellowshipped

by meep5 24 Replies latest jw friends

• meep5
    meep5

Narcissistic Supply, the problem with the word "cult" is that it's definition is kind of vague. From a dictionary standpoint, it is defined as a usually small group formed around a charismatic leader. I believe "closed-society" is a word that better fits the JWs. The problem is that "cult" has a well-known negative meaning which makes it easier to convey the negative impact the JWs have and "closed-society" sounds benign until you understand that the term basically refers to an authoritarian belief system where it's adherents blindly follow direction from a higher authority (sound like the GB)? It's all about unquestioning obedience.

So the reason I say they aren't a cult is technical. They have all the characteristics except for a single charismatic leader and they aren't a small group. Yes I analyze things to death, forgive me.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome meep5, Please continue to vent on JWN and ask for advice, if you like, about helping to improve how you communicate with your JW family and friends. Depending on your desire to help your JW family and friends to think for themselves and your abiliity to control how you behave, there is a lot that you can do.

I use to think that the WTBTS was not a cult and would defend it as a kooky religion to my friends. Now I know and believe that it is a dangerous cult instead of being a religious cult. The more research you do about the WTBTS on websites like www.jwfacts.com, www.jwsurvey.org, www.watchtowerdocuments.com, www.freeminds2.org, www.freedomofmind.com, etc. the more you may be able to identify your own standards for evaluating whether the WTBTS is a dangerous cult or not.

If you want to learn more about the characteristics of dangerous cults, please read Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visiting his website www.freedomofmind.com, and watching videos on his website.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• franticfran
    franticfran

meep5 you have a pm.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Meeps5 I went through that kind of family BS for over 45 years on every visit and most phone calls. It is very frustrating and sad when you are made to feel that you have no value in a parent's eyes. It produces anger as well when you know the 'truth' is a lie.

It's up to you......... be you a believer or not........... to be the Christian. An't that a kick in the head! As least Christian enough to be of some comfort for your Dad.

This will be a good place for you to rant and share. We also love to hear about your own family stories and interesting things that you can share.

You made the right decision to leave and it is the right decision not to raise your children as JW's.....you can do much better.

Gio

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Welcome. The thing that most identifies a cult is not their beliefs per se, not the size, not a charismatic leader, it's the mind control tactics they use. Check out howcultswork.com. I believe the dubs are a cult. It doesn't really matter what you call it though, it's the damage they do, which you have seen first hand.

I am not sure you can ever get through to someone like your mom, it appears she was all to willing to choose her religion over any feelings she had for you. I hope I am wrong. If you have a wife and children they are your main family, focus on them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit