I just got ripped off for two grand :-(

by Mindchild 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Sometime yesterday or this morning, I was ripped off for $2,000 in cash. The money was in an unlocked attache case inside my private room of a shared home.

I kept about $5,000 in cash in my attache case inside my bedroom. Yesterday, I spent about $2,000 of that money buying textbooks (this is my occupation), leaving $3,000 in two envelopes, one having $1,000 and the other $2,000. Today, when I went to get some money for paying a bill, I only found the $1,000 in the case but the other envelope was missing.

I have torn my room upside down looking for it. I know I had the money in there and there are only two possiblities. The first is that one of the professor's somehow managed to slip out one of the envelopes when I was in their office buying books (pretty damn unlikely but not impossible) or the second is that when I took the dog out for a walk last night or this morning, my roomie or her low life guest (an unemployed male) came into my room and opened up my unlocked attache case and took one of the envelopes.

I think it more likely that it happened here and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it. I called the cops and they said without proof they could do nothing and that I could be charged with slander if I accuse them of taking the money! Well SHIT.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about this. You think I should confront them and ask them what happened to the money? There would be no way I can prove anything. The money was unmarked small bills.

I guess the days when you can trust someone not to rip you off are long gone.

Skipper

• anewperson
    anewperson

Tell them to please check to see if somehow it accidentally got lost among some of their other things, stuck to something, or whatever. That you've got bills to pay and would appreciate their checking around. That will be a polite way of doing it without making a direct accusation.

• Xander
    Xander

Ummmm....you left 2 grand in cash in your room?

That's...uhhh...interesting.

So, you've heard of this thing called 'banks', right?

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Xander
    Xander

You could probably call a p.i. and have him dust the case for fingerprints.

Might reveal something. At least if the 'low life guest' was screwing around with it, you'd have something to accuse over...

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• noidea
    noidea

Skipper..

Can they check for fingerprints on you attache case??

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Skipper,

You better start looking for better room-mates! :O

j2bf

• Dino
    Dino

Buy one of those mini-cams.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

why didn't the cops call for a duster to come in and check for prints. 2,000 bucks is plenty enough to warrent that? You should complain about it and HELL yes confront them! You don't have to accuse anyone but you certinly have a right to be extreemely upset. If they get all defensive about it then ask them how they think you SHould react?

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/home.html

• ChiChiMama
    ChiChiMama

Mindchild,

I am so sorry,I know you are just sick over this!
    I hope you get your money back.

I had my purse stolen one time and I had to cancel all my credit cards get a new drivers lisense and ss card as a result.
    I remember the feelings all to well.

I wonder why they didn't take both envelopes?

I was also wondering if you could have opened your case somewhere like a car or elsewhere where it could have accdently been caught on something and drug out or could it have gotten wedged inside a file,book, etc...?

I'm just trying to think of all possibilities.

Again,I really hate to hear about this.

ChiChi

• Francois
    Francois

Call the GB. They have Da Troof.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit