Now that Gays can legally get married, if one of the gay couple want to become a JW would he or she have to get a divorce?

by booker-t 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• booker-t
    booker-t

I remember years ago maybe 20 years ago an elder or CO was giving a talk on Armaggeddon and he said that we know we are close to the end when homosexuals get the same rights as straight people. He said Jehovah would never allow gay people to marry because it would be an abomination and he would do the same as Sodom and Gommorrah. What if a member of a gay couple decides to become a JWs would he or she have to get a divorce?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Theoretical question, right?

I can't imagine any gay person deliberately joining that homophobic organization.

• mP
    mP

book:

I remember years ago maybe 20 years ago an elder or CO was giving a talk on Armaggeddon and he said that we know we are close to the end when homosexuals get the same rights as straight people.

mP:

Gays have been legaly able to get married for centuries. they only lost those rights in recent times. You can search wiki for countless articles of gay marriage in past cultures. In fact it was the common practice.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hortensia is correct, the WTB&TS is no supporter of gay rights.

If I recall correctly, the official WT position is that a gay person can serve Jehovah as long as they remain celibate.

So unless the marriage is just so you have a partner for tennis, it is off-limits.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Lots of gay people are in homophobic religions though...confusing to me too.

It's a funny question in the OP because they say divorces are only allowed on the grounds of adultery.

My guess is this has already come up and the elders said the relationship had to end (divorce or not), just like they did when polygamists joined up.

• Violia
    Violia

I do not think they would allow the gay couple to live together, as they would not view this as a real marriage. As far as i know they will tolerate you being gay as long as you are celibate. I can't imagine them allowing them to remain under the same roof , that is ,if they wanted to be accepted at the KH.

in England Oscar Wilde was sentenced to 2 yrs in prison for being homosexual. This was around 1890 or so. Per Somerset Maugham's bios ,thousands left England after his imprisonment and fled for the Islands. It was not until 1967 that homosexuality was no longer a crime.

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

This has happened here. The studying partner has left the 25 yr. marriage/relationship in favor of continuing their study.

tt

• cantleave
    cantleave

Twinkle toes that is so sad, and the JW's say that they don't break up families.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

I doubt if a divorce would be necessary. The JW's would most likely take the stance that same-sex marriage is no marriage and is therefore null and void right from the start, although this could cause legal problems, especially if the abandoned one found someone else. I would imagine the newly-converted one would have to cease dwelling with his partner and would most likely even have to give an undertaking never to be with him in an unchaperoned situation.

Quite why JW's think the good Lord has nothing better to do than to hang around watching what we do with our genitals is quite beyond me.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

They would in all likelihood tell them to end the relationship and get a divorce. Not because God recognises the marriage because they would argue he doesn’t, but because it would be a legally pragmatic thing to do in releasing oneself from any legal obligation. Of course even a cursory reading of the Sodom and Gomorrah story would show it was not destroyed for homosexuality but for treating the vulnerable and poor and strange with contempt. Something the WT does to the vulnerable and poor and those strange to it, including gay people of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit