My doubting friend came by and left the letter...

by confusedandalone 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• laverite
    laverite

AudeSapere,

Good point. Could it be that they know they have to be ready to justify this convoluted mess and have much of the content all ready to copy and paste into a letter (perhaps they have some kind of FAQ doc that they copy and paste this material from as needed to address specific questions. It can then be edited to make it more personal. And voilĂ ! A personal letter response that is highly detailed but that takes only a few minutes to throw together and print out.

• watson
    watson

Letter looks a little fishy....

• Scully
    Scully

Outlaw:

Why do ou think Splane is wearing a black scarf?

Is he cold? Does he need help dressing himself? Is he trying to look like a Rabbi?

Bizzaro worldor what? LOL

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

For example, once they realized the significance of the year I9I4, they started to alert people to the fact that 1914 was a marked year. Insight on the Scriptures (Volume 1, page 135, paragraph 1) states in this regard: "It is a historical fact worth noting that . . . the March 1880 edition of the Watch Tower magazine identifred the year 1914 as the time for the close of 'the appointed times of the nations' (and the end of the lease of power granted the Gentile rulers). This was some 34 years before the arrival of that year and the momentous events it initiated. In the August 30,1914, edition of The World, a leading New York newspaper at that time, a feature article in the paper's Sunday magazine section commented on this as follows: 'The terrific war outbreak in Europe has fulfilled an extraordinary prophecy. For a quarter ofa century past, through preachers and through press, the "International Bible Students" . . . have been proclaiming to the world that the Day of Wrath prophesied in the Bible.would dawn in 1914."' So until the appearance of "the faithful and disdreet slave" in the 20th century, Jehovah coul, use faithful seriints according to his choosing to communicate information or spiritual food to his servants."

The 'extraordinary prophecy' headlined as:

END OF ALL KINGDOMS IN 1914. 'Millennial Dawners' 25 Year Prophecy.

After the quote above, the article explains,

"The Bible speaks of a 'time of trouble such as never was since there was a nation.' This prophecy of Daniel the Millennialists identify as the 'Day of Wrath,' the 'Battle of Armageddon,' the 'Time of the Lord' and the so-called 'End of the World,' references to which are plentiful in the Scriptures."

See for yourself. Scan of the first page is HERE.

Naturally, the 'extraordinary prophecy' didn't come true. I'm thinking the writer of the letter was hoping your friend wouldn't check the historical facts on this.

• jhine
    jhine

Thanks for that AnnOMaly .

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

AnnOMaly - I was thinking something similar. Then you have to ask yourself if he has the nardsack to put the question before them they would atleast think he would check some sources... I am going to ask him if he minds me actually putting a scan of the letter up

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

CAA: I am going to ask him if he minds me actually putting a scan of the letter up

That would be terrific!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Outlaw: Why do you think Splane is wearing a black scarf?
    Is he cold? Does he need help dressing himself? Is he trying to look like a Rabbi?..Bizzaro world or what? LOL.....Scully

Good Morning Scully!..

On Stage..

The WBT$ GB likes to set themselves apart from everyone else..

David Splane wears a Scarf..

Stephen Lett likes to Pretend he`s Talking Into a..

Bunny`s Ass..

..........................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

"Second, you wonder whether the date 1914 as the year the Kingdom was established is reliable, since the information was not revealed directly to Brother Russell but he obtained the information from others. It is true that others calculated that the "seven times" that the stump of the symbolic tree in Nebuchanezzar's dream would be bound would end in 1914. The article "The Real Significance of 1974" in Awakel of November 8, 7994, stated in a footnote on page 10: "In 1844, a British clergyman, E. B. Elliott, drew attention to 1914 as a possible datg forthe end of the'seven times'of Daniel chapter4. In 1849, Robert Seeley, of London, dealt with the subject in like manner. Joseph Seiss, of the United States, pointed to 1914 as a significant date in Bible chronology in a publication edited about 1870. In 1875, Nelson H. Barbour wrote in his magazine Herald of the Morning that l9l4 marked the end of a period that Jesus called 'the appointed times of the nations.'-Luke 2l:24."

1914 "a possible date" - one of many proposed dates. As Jonsson notes, Elliot and Seeley "preferred 1793 (later changed to 1791 by Elliott) as the terminal date." Besides, it's important to recognize that all of the individuals named here based their calculations on the conventional chronology (i.e. c.606 BC being the beginning of Nebuchadnezzar's reign rather than his 18th/19th year) - the very chronology that Barbour and Russell rejected!

See p. 69 of THIS CHAPTER of Jonsson's book, GTR4, for more details.

So the fact that others reahzed that 1914 was the end of the times of the nations does not make that date suspect.

Nor does it make it correct. History and sound Bible hermeneutic has proven it incorrect.

Btw, jhine (Hi), Jesus may well have been 'worshipped' up to the 1950s, but he was never seen as the 2nd Person of the Trinity by the Bible Students/JWs.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I was thinking something similar. Then you have to ask yourself if he has the nardsack to put the question before them they would atleast think he would check some sources... I am going to ask him if he minds me actually putting a scan of the letter up

I, too, would love to see a scan - identifying info. removed, of course. Yes, you would think the responder would have made more of an effort. This is the age of the internet, f' cryin' out loud!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit