Were Any of You Part of the L.A. JW Party Scene in the Late 60s/Early 70s?

by DNCall 53 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I remember the Circuit Overseers looking down on the wild Cali elders and congregations.

I felt pretty special being on the East Coast (and closer to NYC's Bethel).

• tinker
    tinker

I was in the OC and our party scene was pretty happening too. Every weekend a House Party or Beach Party or Wedding, no invitation required, just show up, dance, drink and hang out, make out. Around DC time, The Fourm, Doger Stadium, LA and OC would mingle. Or when The Bethelites came to town we had to show extra hospitality. The Best Party I remember was with all the DC Orchestra people. DNC you may remember some of them ;P

I married a pioneer I met at a party, TOO YOUNG. But I have to say I didn't feel I was missing anything the World had to offer. My social circle was Full, polarized of course but at the time I was having a Blast. Only years later did I realise that high school and college parites would have added to my development as an adult living the the Real World.

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

First K/H meeting was on Florence Ave in Bell/Huntington Park in 73' and met all kinds of folks from "HIGH" school, most of them 'sistas' "fine looking babes"....South Gate, Sante Fe Springs, Downey, Bell Gardens, El Monte had it all! Then the beaches: Huntington Beach was wide open! north and south on the coast hwy..lots of fun!! made the mistake of hanging around my old neighborhood off Firestone Blvd too long! and thats when I realized , get the hell out of LA fast...still a hippy, went to missisppi.. and wild as the richochet! Living life was like the songs that were playing .....insot4

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I lived in near Sacramento then the East bay area during the late 60's Those were the best years of my life. There was a party after EVERY CA and DA as well as graduation partys, weddings, and partys for no reason. ALL featured great music and dancing. I looove to dance so the food and booze didn't matter much to me. (but it sure does now LOL) My boyfriend (who I married) and I went to at least one great party a month. I loved the interacial aspect of these events bc I loved "soul music" and dances. The black bros were so cool and loved to teach us the "skate" the "bounce" etc. Good times before the society became Natzis and squelched all the fun out of life!

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

ugottabekiddingme

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Nars, what do you mean?

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Nope I was more of an L/OC partier in the early 2000's and late 90's.

• DNCall
    DNCall

Hey Designs: I introduced Greg Coleman (Bud's son) to his wife (G*** B****s), Long Beach, right?) during a break between sets of a band we were all playing in. Played a few wedding receptions at Bateman Hall. Also saw the Carpenters play at a Witness wedding reception at the Whittier Women's Club.

Our family used to go with Ben Homer and his wife Danni to Phoenix every Christmas to hang out with a doctor whose family became Witnesses. Lox and Bagels on Christmas morning, an endless stream of jokes with Yiddish punch-lines and then swimming in the afternoon.

Scotoma: Used to hear about the East Coast party scene. Thanks for confirming that the stories were true. The only thing we had that you guys didn't was a high percentage of drop-dead gorgeous surfer blondes with the collective personaltiy of a small fern.

• mind blown
    mind blown

No...but I did partake in the early 80's JW party Scene....

• designs
    designs

DNC- We might have run into each other. I graduated with G. and went out in service with Greg when he came down to see G. Bright young guy, I think he bailed from the Org. shortly before 75.

I dated a ferny, my surfer girl, her in a bikini was as close to paradise as you could get.

Scotoma- A pioneer buddy from N Hollywood who ended up going to Bethel always wore cuff links with his shirts at the Parties. I asked L. why one night at a party and he said he used them for curb feelers to find his way home

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit