New book - "Journey to Gods House" by Brock Talon

by AnnOMaly 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

This thread's in tandem with clarity's started HERE in the Members Only section.

Remember the JWN poster LivingTheDream from 2 years ago? His threads often had me in stitches and he had a real knack of hooking you into the story so that you kept reading. Who of us could forget the account of the booming voice of 'God' ordering a double chocolate chip ice cream? Or Mary and her big, bad girls? Or the fearsome creature who lurked in in the deepest bowels of Bethel?

Well, these experiences and more have been made into a book for all to enjoy - not just JWN members.

" Journey to Gods House: An inside story of life at the World Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses in the 1980s " by Brock Talon.

http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Gods-House-Headquarters-Witnesses/dp/0615850529/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376562600&sr=8-1&keywords=brock+talon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NGegetjN8U

• LivingTheDream
    LivingTheDream

Thanks AnnOMaly... very sweet of you to post this.

---

For those interested, you can get the book here:

Amazon: www.amazon.com/author/brocktalon (Kindle and Paperback - there's a quick peek feature here that let's you read the first few chapters)

Barnes and Nobel: www.barnesandnoble.com (Search the Nook Book for my name or the book's title)

Paperback : www.createspace.com/4361224 (Discounted directly from the printer at this site - use the discount code I set up just for you JWN insiders: WNMHAJ48)

Join me on Facebook too!

Brock Talon aka LivingTheDream

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Marked

• Deceived
    Deceived

I am reading it!! I recommend it

• Dagney
    Dagney

Got it. I visited twice in the 80's, staying 3 weeks total at the Standish. Look forward to reading it!

• clarity
    clarity

Brilliant layout & presentation ....... love it!

>

No Canadian distributor for the book yet, ...so will order thru Amazon.

clarity

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Great Trailer for the book!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I just read the entire book in one sitting thru Amazon app. What a great story of how going to Bethel actually BREAKS your spiritual back and leaves you the path right out of the religion! You can't make this crap up, and this stuff sells itself because anyone who was ever a JW or close to Brooklyn knows the ring of "Truth" when they hear it. This reeks of TRUTH.

Some highlights for me were at the end when he was saying goodbye to the JW couple that were his friends. Their reaction is pure Cult gold!!! It's also typical of people who are only your friends based upon "conditions". I wonder where that JW couple is now? Still tolling away up there in the factory for nothing, no children, no home, just endless labour, OR maybe Headquarters showed them the door once they got older and now they are out in the very "System of Things" that they despised so much. Be warm and well fed, Brother and Sister Uncaring A-holes! I almost hope that's what happened to them, that they were kicked out on their asses after decades of "service" into a world they know nothing about except that they hate it.

Another highlight was speaking about the printing of the classic 1984 WatchTower & Awake! magazines with the Generation and 1914 covers. The 1984 bound volumes are the only ones I kept specifically because of these. Imagine, that was almost 30 years ago now!! I was 4 yrs old when they came out, and I still remember them......it's like they are burned into my psyche. We weren't even supposed to make it out of the 1980's, remember?

The crap you endured......the sheer institutional hell you lived......the spiritual "Love" just oozes from the pages of your memoir. This book should be passed around to any perspective young JW even remotely thinking of applying to Beth-hell. I read it in one straight shot, and am nearly sick thinking about actually living like that. I'm glad you got out alive and with your sanity, unlike Mr. Coffee.

- Wing Commander

• LivingTheDream
    LivingTheDream

Deceived - Thanks very much. Drop me an email and let me know how you like it through the end of the book.

Dagney - I hope you enjoy it.

Clarity and RayPublsher - Thanks for your continued support...

Wing Commander - Man, you always crack me up. You don't fool around with the reading either, do you? I don't think I've even read my own book through in one sitting. Thanks for your kind words due. You were one of the folks 2 years ago that I remember well, and your comments were always appreciated. I finished my book for people like you that kept the fire burning when I posted each story.

--

Brock Talon

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hi again Brock!

It was difficult book to put down! I enjoyed reading it very much. Love your 'no nonsense,' matter-of-fact and witty ways of recounting the stories.

You bring out the 'double standards' idiocy very well. I also knew brothers who would criticize the youth for listening to rock or pop music (one brother had a pathological hatred of Elton John too) and yet be big fans of opera and classical music with themes of murder, adultery, cross-dressing and the like. I'd love to know who the College Professor was who was anti-higher-ed. for young JWs.

The 1975 thing and having kids? If the book that started the hype had been released a couple of months earlier, I would never have been conceived and my parents would likely have remained childless. Sobering thought.

The only quibbles I have with the book is down to formatting/editing. E.g. the Contents page could have done with page numbers. You also went to the trouble of putting the initials GS- (we know who it is anyway but ... ), only to reveal that his first name was 'Gene.' Did you mean to? P. 171 has Ray Franz as Fred's 'brother' - you'd already said they were nephew and uncle so it must have been a slip of the typing fingers. Something to tweak with at second printing? ;-)

I also have a question. Was Michael Jackson really suspected of child molestation even in the early '80s? I thought that came later in the early '90s. (Maybe my memory's fuzzy.)

@ Dagney. You read it yet?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit