Help needed: JC standards/questions for "Drunkenness"

by respectful_observer 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Flg8ter
    Flg8ter

From what I've seen and experienced, there are no set rules..it's pretty much up to the Elders judgment. Which means really.......who the "offender" is and who the "offender" is friends with or who their family is. But as was mentioned.....play the "who is accusing" card or just enjoy the door out!

• label licker
    label licker

Splash, I was at a jw wedding one time where a publisher had to be scraped off the floor he was so drunk. The po looked at him and said don't think this won't be a disfellowshipping charge. What got him off was he said he had taken his meds and didn't know you couldn't mix alchohol with them. I always thought that if I were ever in those circumstances that's the card I would play. Unfortunately, the only time I drink is at judicial committees.

• xelder
    xelder

The tactic largely depends on if you want to stay in the Borg.....I'm assuming that is the case.

Blood Alcohol content is not necessarily considered relevant. The definition of drunkeness is a matter of BEHAVIOR. (Behaving in a drunken manner) Medication could be a factor.

This heavily relies on witnesses, or maybe a DUI, maybe even published in the paper. Several family members saying they repeatedly saw a person drunk is quite different from one person saying that someone was drunk. Absolutely he can face his accusers.

In the end, be cooperative but shocked that anyone would say such a thing and that you will be happy to settle the matter with the offended person. You would never want to give Jehovah a bad name ....blah, blah, blah

• jam
    jam

When I was in the cult 80-90% of the elders drink like a fish

including me. If a person is arrested for drunkenness or found

passed out in front of the KH you may have a problem.

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

I sat on more JC's than I can count. Never one for drunkenness. At Bethel I scraped more people off the bathroom floor than I want to recall. Who did your friend piss off? This sounds personal. Have your friend try to ask without being offensive, "where is the proof?" Maybe it would be good for him to remind the elders that someone once said "he that is blameless cast the first stone."

• truthhurts13
    truthhurts13

I've been in on many of these myself. On the receiving end of course. So here's how it's gonna go:(MORE THAN LIKELY)

They are gonna start questioning him with random questions trying to get him to ADMIT being drunk. Admit NOTHING! Start right off with your own questions. I liked to use the one about gluttony. Doesn't the bible say that is a sin also? How many fatass jaydubs you ever hear of getting J.C. because of them being overweight? Most of the elder's have fat wives, so they never like having that thrown in their face. They like to single out alcohol, but never say anything about overeating. And that one you can PROVE an overeater just by looking at them. Not so with a drunk

If they ask if you were drunk, say "Not in my opinion". That stops them everytime. Your definition of DRUNK is different than mine. They could never hold me to anything. And keep bringing the conversation back to gluttony. Ask them why they are singling you out to pick on, when there's tons of fatass jaydubs out there to DF because they can't keep their cravings and desires of the flesh under control. And that is causing you to stumble

Also, ask for proof that you were drunk. Without proof, its all just hearsay anyways. Don't take it lying down, Stand up for yourself

• XstuckX
    XstuckX

It's all who you know. At my brother's witness wedding, we all got drunk. Like stupid drunk. Lots of elders there. Not a word was said.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

My JW friend was a known alcoholic, even by the elders, who advised he went to the doctor for treatment, but was never disfellowshipped, as they could not prove he had been drunk. It is a very subjective line as to what is drunk, and proving when someone is.

It sounds like a set up with your friend, since he has not had a drink for ages and cannot recall being spoken to. Is there another issue they are trying to get him for, but having trouble pinning on him? If the elders are after him, then they will get him for something. Otherwise, he needs to "humbly" say that he has not had a drink for several months, and cannot recall any warnings since that time years ago, and ask for specifics.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Nobody would ever listen to me or take it seriously when i told the elders my spouse was frequently drunk and driving drunk. They said, Don't say that.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

shameless bump...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit