Help needed: JC standards/questions for "Drunkenness"

by respectful_observer 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I'm hoping those of you in the JWN community may be able to help me out. An acquaintance (of legal drinking age) may soon be sitting for JC under the charge of "Drunkenness".

To those of you who have direct experience either serving on a JC, or being the subject of a JC related to the misuse of alcohol:

- Could you provide a list of questions that were asked of the accused?

- Considerations that the committee took into account when deciding to DF or reprove?

- Are there standard printed questioned that are asked?

- Does the KS-10 "Flock" book have a section on "Drunkenness" either on its own, or part of the JC procedures? Any excerpts/quotes would be greatly appreciated.

- Does the accused have the right to ask the accusers name(s)?

- Does the accused have the right to hear the accusation directly from the accuser (in person) and ask follow-up questions of them?

Any other advice or personal experiences related to alcohol-related JCs would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

R_O

• Comatose
    Comatose

I don't have the questions answered for you, but some advice on principle I can offer.

It will be important to stress that he always had his thinking faculties and was NOT drunk. He can apologize for offending someone and apologize for stumbling someone. That would go a long way toward being seen as humble and trying to make it right.

If it were me, I would say I had a couple drinks but was not drunk.

They will ask if he passed out. Hopefully, the answer is no.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Ah, wine that makes the heart of mortal man rejoice. Just be humble don't admit anything, but if you think I stumbled someone I am willing to apologize is what I would tell them. They will then council you on the snares of alchahol and they will read a couple of scriptures. At least thats what they used to do, I've been out since 1985.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Trying to think back to when I was on JCs, I would want to know:

Was this a one off, had they been counselled previuosly, who witnessed them being drunk, what lead to them being drunk, what have they done since to make sure it doesn't happen again?

If it seems a done deal, and they don't want to be DF'd then signs of repentance are vital. This would include steps taken to stop it happening again, being sorry for bringing reproach on god's name, blah blah.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Quotes from Jehovah's latest Handbook on controlling everything under the sun:

17. Drunkenness: (1 Cor. 5:11; 6:9, 10; it-1 p. 656) A judicial committee is required when there is a practice of drunkenness or a single incident of drunkenness that brings notoriety. (w83 5/1 p. 8) A Scriptural description of drunkenness can be found in the following references: Job 12:25; Psalm 107:27; Proverbs 20:1; 23:29-35; Isaiah 24:20.

18. If an individual confesses to an elder that on one occasion he overindulged in alcohol to the point of drunkenness in the privacy of his own home and there was no notoriety, it may suffice for the elder to give strong counsel. In any case, the elder should inform the coordinator of the matter.

• sir82
    sir82

There are no "standard questions". Every committee is different.

It sounds like the acquaintance was ratted out rather than confessed?

The "witnesses" are supposed to present their case with the accused and the 3 elders present.

If your acquaintance is determined to have been drunk, despite his protestations, his best bet to avoid DF is to repeat over and over "how sorry he is that he damaged his relationship with Jehovah".

If he just repeats variations of that theme a dozen or so times during the meeting he should be fine, especially if it is a first offense.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Thanks for the responses so far.

This person received counsel years ago (when they were served alcohol when underage, but married, in their own home ), but no warning specific to alcohol since then-- however, the elders are telling them that since "several warnings" have been given, it is now a JC matter (even though my friend cannot think of when these other warnings ever occurred). They have not had a drink in months.

Needless to say, this area is no stranger to liberal use of alcohol (by EVERYONE).

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Depending on his confidence level, he could also play the "who is my accuser?" card.

Basically, if the elders approach him with questions, he can indignantly reply "Who is saying this? Why aren't they coming to me first?" If the accusers are chickenshits then the problem basically goes away, but he will have to be careful in the future.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

What PROOF is there that he over indulged .

did someone count the drinks he consumed

is their a blood alcohol level evidence

There is no criteria for "drunkiness " in the bible or Elders book

Only his confession of over drinking would be proof .

Is their video evidence of proven behavior from drinking "to much alcohol"

Is there any other pluasible reason for "drunken" behavior other than over indulgence

• Splash
    Splash

Was he on medication at the time which may have reacted to a small amount of alcohol?

Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit