The happiest people on earth... Yeah right

by Bells 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Bells
    Bells

I am looking for some advice - or maybe just some moral support.

I can't find the link to my previous thread... But in a nutshell... Husband and I got married a couple months ago after 10 or so years together. He was never baptised, but grew up 'in'. I never had any exposure to the craziness til I met him and his family. There have been many problems over the years - I never felt accepted, felt that husband and I were always 2nd best to the other son and his JW wife. Anyway - the latest issue was the wedding - I wanted my husband to talk to them about the toast so we knew what to expect. He said 'it will be fine' - and he probably thought it would be, we have clicked glasses with them several times over the years. Anyway, skip to wedding, we are sitting at the table, surrounded by his family, someone does a very informal toast, and you guessed it, all of them sit there refusing to touch their glasses. I wouldn't care if this was consistent with their behaviour - however it isn't, so I am taking it as a statement and an insult.

The good thing that came out of this I spose is that it did something to help my husband finally 'wake' up to how we are treated as 2nd class compared to the other son and how their love and support is absolutely conditional.

So - now, instead of starting our married life happily, we are surrounded with negativity and darkness. My husband is trying to come to terms with how he feels about them and his upbringing and how he is treated - and to figure out how he can have a decent - and real - relationship with them - and of course me. I feel so angry about being 'robbed' of this happy time, but no matter what I do, I can't bring myself out of this sadness and anger. I should be relieved and happy that my husband is finally awake and starting to deal with this stuff, and I am - but I just can't feel happy, it's just anger at him for letting it get to here, anger at them for being the reason we are here and plain sadness.

My husband walked away from the religion when we were about 19 or so (unbaptised), and says he hates it, and hates the 'man' element, agrees that it's sexist and I believe that he would never go back (and I believe him or I would not have married him). However, if I ever brought anything up about the religion, his first reaction was always to defend it - even though he doesn't believe himself. It's almost a subconscious reaction. I always felt like he would defend them before he would defend me - and he would - until very recently - and this has caused more problems between us than anything else.

I have loads of anger towards 'the society' and everything to do with them. If my parents had been witnesses, I would be dead, having needed a blood transfusion as a baby, so it's not a good start, and goes backwards from there. I feel like I have been treated pretty much like crap from the witnesses that I have met over the years, however I always did everything I could to be 'respectful' to them - and their faith. I went to an assembly once. I close my eyes with them and hold their hands before meals (no more!) etc. It was always respecting them, and their beliefs, never them respecting ours - because we don't 'belong' to a 'club'. I feel like being a part of this 'club' that believes things that I think, quite frankly, insane, has given them a free pass to act like assholes!

I think my husband is starting to see for the first time, but it's like it's been so ingrained in him, that even though he doesn't believe, he doesn't want to see anything bad about being raised in 'the truth'. I understand that there was a lot of good stuff in his child hood - but I also think that he missed out on a lot, and he is not very capable of having real relationships with people. He lets others walk all over him - including his family - and this is what he is now trying to stop.

The other thing is that lately when he talks to him parents, his mum especially, he said they can be talking about something random and happy and trivial, say business which is going well, and then out of the blue she will say something like 'did you hear about the shooting here, or the earthquake there or someone getting sick'. They are meant to be the happiest people on earth, but they are just so sad and negative. It never used to be like that. Is this common or is this just her??

The other thing is - which makes things difficult is that my husband is in business with his JW brother (who I can't stand) and their JW Dad works for them - as does the JW sister-in-law. I can just imagine if my husband said that he wanted to give me a job - it would have never happened... Just another example of the unfairness of the relationship. If they weren't in business, we could just say 'oh well, we won't have anything to do with them' - but he has to on a daily basis. I understand this, but it still upsets me - I don't know how he is able to speak to these people every day like everything is just fine, when they have treated us so badly. But I don't have a solution either.

It is my fault too, because I never stood up for myself and demanded respect. It will be a long time before I will be able to sit with them again for a meal - but if and when I do - I can guarantee that I will not be submitting and bowing my head and praying to a god that I don't believe in, so as not to offend them...

Anyway - does anyone else here have any experience dealing with this sort of thing. I know this post is all over the place, it's half asking for advice, half just venting. Sorry. I just feel like there is no one I can really talk to about this. If I mention it to my friends or family, they will just say 'just ignore them, it's just because of the crazy religion' - but they don't understand how manipulative these people can be, and if it was that simple and we could ignore the degrading comments and the like, we would.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Sounds like you already know this, but JWs are hypocrites. Its all about them, and that is why they keep to themselves in most areas of life. Introduce and outside life form and you quickly see they hypocrisy in action.

I was just about to advise you to just get and stay away from them for your sanity, then you dropped the "in business together" bombshell. Its going to be real tough on your marriage if your husband keeps things as they are. In reality, you are simply dealing with cultists, and there is no amount of logic or reasoning that will snap them back into reality with the rest of the world. Your hubby knows this, but probably doesn't want to deal with it.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Hello Bells,

You really are in a bad situation and of course first thought I get is all the good helpful books there are to read but right now you could decide what attitude you will be determined to show whenever you're around them.

I'm thinking, if I was in your shoes, what would I say in the face of bad treatment: "I love my husband and respect you all as his family. Can you respect my beliefs in return? I do not intend to discuss religion because obviously we have fundamental differences in our beliefs, and I appreciate your understanding."

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It might help you to remember that JWs are under cult mind control, so much of their behavior is because of that. Yes, sometimes they are inconsistent and act differently under different circumstances. If they are around other dubs they might be more aware of the rules. It doesn't hurt any less, but it might help you not take things so personally. For good or bad, this is your husbands family, and you will gain nothing by starting a war with them. This is quite a common problem in every family, not just the dubs.

I would encourage you to find it in your heart to overlook their poor behavior, it will be better for you and your husband. If you continue to let it get to you, you might boil over and cause a bigger rift in the family. I suggest meditation to deal with difficult feelings, it works very well.

• Bells
    Bells

Thanks guys, I know you're right, I have to overlook their poor behaviour, I just find it so so difficult to do - especially if my husband doesn't acknowledge how bad the behaviour is! I think that's half the problem...

I agree - the 'in business' together is the bombshell. Of course I never wanted them to be in business together and I wish they didn't have to be - I hate how my brother in law treats my husband - like he is less important and just dumber than himself (I can assure you that this is NOT the case) - however, my husband enjoys the work, so for his sake, I want him to continue...

I have read 'Combatting Mind Control' and I understand that they are under this type of mind control - though it doesn't make it any easier for me to accept them being assholes because of it!!!! Especially when they look down on us - simply because we are independant thinkers! It's infuriating!!!

The thing is, we don't really ever discuss the religion itself, they know that we have our own beliefs not in line with their faith, however it's the subtle comments - and not so subtle actions - such as not toasting us at our wedding when they will toast at the 'end-of-year-but-not-Christmas-party for work.

Hypocritical behaviour is very difficult for me to swallow, always has been. I tend to be a very upfront, honest and forthrights person (which is not always a good thing I know, but it's just who I am)

It's just nice to be able to get this off my chest anyway. I hope to see some changes soon, I know my husband is trying, otherwise, yes, we are in for a very very difficult marriage - and one that will not survive in the end... So I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed...

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

You know what the real truth is, the issue is how long it takes to face it.

• Scully
    Scully

It's probably a good idea to put some distance between your inlaws and both you and your husband. Even though you've had a significant amount of time "together" prior to your wedding, I'm guessing that the JW inlaws had hopes that you would convert to the JWs and that their son would return to The Truthâ„¢.

Frankly, the way they treat you like second class citizens, if it ever comes up in conversation with them why you never showed an interest in their religion, I would flat out tell them "Why on earth would I want to associate with a religion that treats people as badly as you've treated [hubby] and me?" Make a list of specific events and their behaviour, keep it handy because you never know when you'll have the opportunity to address this with them. Then establish some boundaries with them and do not let them cross your boundaries. This will become increasingly important if you are going to start a family - you do not want your inlaws to have unrestricted access to children where they will have the opportunity to indoctrinate them with JW beliefs, including such beliefs that you and your husband are "following Satan" or that you are "making Jehovah sad" or that you will all be "destroyed at Armageddon" because you "don't love Jehovah". Your children do not need to be terrorized like that.

Also, I would start making a plan with your husband to sell his part of the business to his brother (talk to a lawyer first to be sure that your BIL isn't going to take advantage of your husband) and find work that doesn't involve his family. If they treat him like crap at work, it's just an extension of how they treat you both in person. Neither of you are required to tolerate that kind of psychological abuse. He deserves to be respected in the workplace just like any other employee or partner in a business relationship. He's not required to seek their approval - if he's close to 30 years of age, as I gather from your post, if he hasn't got his family's respect by now, it ain't ever gonna happen. It's time to cut your losses and move on to friendships and relationships (personal and business) where you are respected for who you are, not for the religion you belong to or not.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Hello Bells, My observation is that yes, JW's are gleeful when catastrophic events happen to "worldly" folks. The larger the better. These things make them feel like the big A is sooooooooo close. I'm sorry you are dealing with this disfunctional family. Your husband's first loyalty needs to be to YOU. Otherwise your marriage won't really work. Even the Bible backs this up. "This is why a man will LEAVE his father and his mother and the two of you will become one flesh"

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

'did you hear about the shooting here, or the earthquake there or someone getting sick'. They are meant to be the happiest people on earth, but they are just so sad and negative. It never used to be like that. Is this common or is this just her??

That is the norm. JWs revel in the misery, as it means that they are closer to Armageddon.

You need to slowly try to get your husband to understand that he was raised in a cult and accept the underlying issues that is causing. If you do not, you run the risk of him going back to the religion during a period of crisis, or when you have a child. I have seen it constantly since I have left.

Look at Hassan's books, at http://www.freedomofmind.com/ for ideas on how to discuss this with your husband. Also see Helping Someone leave Jehovah's Witnesses, because although he is not active, his defence of it means he will still react like when if you touch sensitive topics.

He may also find the following youtube interesting.

Growing up a Jehovah's Witness

• mP
    mP

3rdgen

Even the Bible backs this up. "This is why a man will LEAVE his father and his mother and the two of you will become one flesh"

mP:

The text is only speaking to men, not women, their opinion doesnt count sad but true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit