Head Gasket Sorted - with pics

by cofty 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

OK if you clicked on this you might be a mechanical geek like me. Some people love buying shoes or handbags for me is shiny new tools.

For the last few weeks the head gasket has been blowing on my Rover 214. Fortunately the oil and water hasn't been mixing so no harm done. The combustion gases have been blowing through the water jacket which made it sounded like a witches cauldron. The K-series engine is notorious for head gasket problems. There is a gasket upgrade that usually fixes the problem so I have been getting together all the parts I will need - Gasket set, new head bolts, water pump, stat, timing belt, oil and filter.

Sunday I stripped it down and discovered it had already had the new gasket fitted but it had been done on the cheap and not skimmed. Monday I took the head to get 5 thou skimmed off and today I put it all back together. It started straight away and has never sounded sweeter.

Tools polished and stored away until I find another excuse to play with them. Old car, shouldn't be long.

Head off Sunday afternoon...

Head skimmed and looking good

All back together and for once no bolts left over.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

No bolts left over? You must've done something wrong!

I've rebuilt three engines myself and done some head reconditioning too. I've got a super reliable car now so haven't done much except for oil changes and simpler routine maintenance (struts; cv boots; brakes) for the past few years.

I bet your Rover will run like new with the work you did.

There's gotta be a way to get your topic rolling into a spirited discussion here.

Question: Were head gasket flaws created? Or did they evolve? LOL.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

FUN!! Good job. I think mechanical work is therapeutic.

• cofty
    cofty
    Question: Were head gasket flaws created? Or did they evolve? LOL.

hahaha I think it was an unfortunate mutation in the Rover factory. The solution has evolved!

The head bolts go all the way through the block to a rail below the crank. There are 2 plastic dowels between the head and block which allow it to flex just a little bit. The original gasket was a single layer with fire rings.

The new gasket is 3 layer as well as a separate shim and metal dowels. The bolts are designed to stretch when you torque them up so they should be replaced as well.

Whoever had done the job previously had cut corners and managed to strip two of the threads on the inlet manifold/plenum chamber.

Engine looked good inside. Camshaft is showing signs of wear but is a lot quieter since I cleaned out all the oilways and the hydraulic tappets.

DataDog - I used to love working on cars when I was younger but lost my enthusiasm when the children were young. Not enough time! I have just finished repairing my daughter's car and now my own and I am enjoying it again.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i had to look twice at this thread---!! i thought i was on the wrong site !!

i'm on several MG owners groups. 2 of my cars---MGF and MG ZR have had the headgaskets done they rarely last more than 50 thousand miles.

my latest arrival is a MG ZS 180---the v6 job--so HG failure is rarely a problem.

ive recently bought a personal plate for it----this is entirely Cantleaves fault---he made me do it. i will up a photo as soon as i get the go ahead from the DVLA. its a beaut.

• cofty
    cofty

Hey I would love to see the pics Big Mac.

• cantleave
    cantleave

You will love Big Mac's new reg plate!

• clarity
    clarity

Cofty ...... hope a lady who doesn't have the 'rite' tool can

jump in.

The motor fix was brilliant Cof and a big relief with chest stuck out

no doubt, when the damn thing starts!!!!!!!!!!! YES!

I appreciate it because I come from a long line of people who just naturally

know how to fix engines etc.

>

Truth be told, they were sometimes called 'haywire' experts.

clarity

• finally awake
    finally awake

I remember when we were first married, Just Ron had a 75 Chevy Malibu. He had the carbuerator in pieces on the dining table more than once, and I remember he rebuilt the alternator once. There's no telling how many miles that car had, we rolled the odometer once but I don't think it was the first time. The cars we have now will easily do 250,000 miles with no major repairs.

• cofty
    cofty

Clarity - Huge relief when it started and didn't sound like my tool box falling down the stairs. Lot's of potential for expensive mistakes when you take the head off.

I learned because my dad could never figure out what a spanner was for. I got to drive the family car in exchange for keeping it working.

Finally Awake - I have been guilty of bringing parts into the kitchen to work on them more than once. Actually that middle picture is taken in the kitchen on a roll of thick lining paper - well it was pouring with rain!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit