Head Gasket Sorted - with pics

by cofty 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• bigmac
    bigmac

@phizzy---very close ha ha.

there are stacks of xjw plates for sale at the dvla

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

Jehovahs mighty hand and his holy spirit surely helped you complete these needed repairs........no doubt Satan and his demon hordes caused the failure and contributed to the design flaw so you would be tested......... Hahahahaha

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

You're a brave man, Cofty! The K series Rover engine has wet liners that sometimes drop below the level of the head when you're working on a dismantled engine. I managed to get 170 bhp out of my tweaked 1.8 K series engine after I'd fitted a new turbo to my 75. (£300 recon from Midland Turbo's)

• cofty
    cofty

Well a week on and all seems to be well.

Had a scare the next day when I heard air banging into the header tank when sitting in a queue of traffic but it was just an airlock working it's way through.

I have also discovered the rubber seal in my header tank lid is perished and allowing the system to depressurise so I got a new one from eBay for a fiver which arrived today. So far coolant level hasn't moved and no oil leaks.

Your comment on the level of the wet liners got me doing some research Tim Hooper.

Apparently the liners should be 4 thou above the level of the head. Rover were turning out some K-series engines with heights anything from 0 to 4. Originally they had 2 sizes of liner which the engineers in the factory selected as needed but to save money they ended up with one size fits all. If the liners are level you can fit a set of 4 thou shims which cost about £30-. If they are below head height it means the block is damaged and is beyond repair.

I didn't realise the liners are just sitting in the block sealed with a non-drying liquid gasket. If you move the liners with the head off it breaks the seal and you will lose water into the sump. The repair isn't expensive it just means taking the head and sump off and pushing liners out complete with pistons and refitting - probably with new big-end bearings. I actually turned the crank on mine with the head off to clean the piston crowns but I seem to have got away with it - phew! I should have made up some clamps with head bolts, tubes and washers.

Anyway I didn't check the level of the liners because I only discovered all this after I put the head back on. On the picture the liners look like they are sitting proud of the head but if things go well I will never know.

My latest project is on miss Cofty's car. CV joint boot is split, there is moly grease all over the n/s wheel arch. I took the hub off tonight and will go get a new boot this weekend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit