Head Gasket Sorted - with pics

by cofty 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

You said the new gasket is a 3 layer... 3 layer MLS? If so you're kinda rolling the dice on a motor that wasn't made for it. On an engine with MLS gaskets the deck and head sealing surfaces are machined a lot smoother. Usually 50 RA is a good rule of thumb.

Either way, good job!

• Simon
    Simon

As soon as it was in pieces, my definition would be: broken beyond repair, now requires magic.

Kudus for being able to fix it yourself but coming from the UK and watching TopGear a lot I have to say ... Rover?!?!?! What were you thinking! ;)

• Simon
    Simon

And the engine in the kitchen reminds my of my grandad. After my grandma died he had dismantled engines in the living room. The whole house was his workshop. He could fix engines, watches, submarines, planes, you name it.

I wish I had his skills.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

The wet liners don't leave much surface for the gasket to seal against, do they? No wonder they are known for failing.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Cool! I've always admired competent people.

I have an '87 Nissan Pathfinder with 212K miles on it. I bought it at a yard sale a few years ago. Every year I put about $1000 into it in repairs. This year brakes and an exhaust leak. The oil leaks, needs the head gasket replaced and I was going to get that done, but I've decided to live with it. It's a darned expensive repair. However, it's not very inconvenient to check the oil once a week, so no problem -- I can live with that leak for a loooooong time if I have to. So nice that you know how to fix it yourself!

That's my share of car talk -- OK guys, back to what you were talking about before I interrupted!

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Hortensia, a HG on your pathfinder can be a bit tricky for the backyard wrench puller. Not impossible, but a bit tricky. You may be better off finding a good used take out engine from a junkyard.

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

I spent 14 years as a heavy equipment mechanic, I also built race engines. I don't miss it at all. But the most fun I had with a car is when we had out MG Midget. Fun car though. I hated it when the twin Weber carbs went out of sinc.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Most of my heavy duty work of that sort was done on a 1962 Ford Falcon. Engine, transmission, electrical, got lots of experience with that rig.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Cap. Obv,

You're right. I was going to pay to have the head gasket replaced, but decided it wasn't worth the money. The local junk yard has an 87 Pathfinder with an engine with only 90K miles on it. So one of these days I'll get the whole engine replaced -- if the car lasts another year. I think it will, it sounds like a tug boat but drives like a champion.

(Sorry, Cofty, to highjack your thread!)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Is BigMacs new number something like XJW666 ? LOL

Well done Cofty on the repair, it is so eco friendly to keep these old bangers going rather than buy another car and scrap the old one, even if they do guzzle a bit more gas, if you are not doing a million miles a year it matters not.

I used to play around with cars, right up until my kids left home, but at present I simply prefer to drive 'em, I have another very time consuming hobby, won't say what, too easy to identify me, there aren't that many butterfly collectors around, whoops, let the cat out of the bag !

If we have trouble with any of our cars, can we bring 'em round to you ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit