Ouija Board!!!

by XPeterX 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

There is a common denominator with all these accounts; mind, consciousness and belief. Whether one believes any of these accounts or not, the nature of the energy that become particles and how the movement of such particles result in agency in the brain and the ability to experience and also affect what is experienced, should at least give even the most seasoned sceptic some pause at least about the real nature of reality. Whatever it is beyond simple science, mind, consciousness and belief have some connection to it.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Seraphim23:

There is a common denominator with all these accounts; mind, consciousness and belief. Whether one believes any of these accounts or not, the nature of the energy that become particles and how the movement of such particles result in agency in the brain and the ability to experience and also affect what is experienced, should at least give even the most seasoned sceptic some pause at least about the real nature of reality. Whatever it is beyond simple science, mind, consciousness and belief have some connection to it.

18-point font? Seriously? Anyway...

What you're basically saying is:

You don't understand everything, therefore... magic.

But what we do know about reality is that consciousness requires complex things like brains, which doesn't allow for the existence of sentient 'spirits'.

If part of your brain gets damaged or removed, you lose the functionality for which that part of the brain is responsible (whether it's mind, consciousness, belief, or the ability to select a reasonable font size). The brain is complex, but it's not magic.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Sorry the font is what I type in. I hope this looks better after I adjust it.

In reply though Jeffro, magic if indistinguishable from technology to a primitive culture looking in on an advanced one is the case, then magic is also a code word for things we don’t yet understand. What is required to understand all things has not been unarguable demonstrated to be science alone, for if the scientific method presupposes rational understanding as one of its minimal criteria, it fails in some instances. For instance an observer in some quantum mechanical experiments has been shown to affect the things being observed or measured, despite there being no known or detectible physical connection between the two things. Speed and location on the quantum level has also been shown to be connected in ways that don’t make sense rationally. Magic indeed!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Seraphim23:

In reply though Jeffro, magic if indistinguishable from technology to a primitive culture looking in on an advanced one is the case, then magic is also a code word for things we don’t yet understand.

The claim that "magic if indistinguishable from technology to a primitive culture looking in on an advanced one" is a rehash of Arthur C. Clarke's statement, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". The expression is greatly overused. It suggests that there are things we don't yet understand, but does not mean that 'magic' simply replaces what is actually known.

What is required to understand all things has not been unarguable demonstrated to be science alone, for if the scientific method presupposes rational understanding as one of its minimal criteria, it fails in some instances. For instance an observer in some quantum mechanical experiments has been shown to affect the things being observed or measured, despite there being no known or detectible physical connection between the two things. Speed and location on the quantum level has also been shown to be connected in ways that don’t make sense rationally. Magic indeed!

Complexity (which isn't the same as magic) at the quantum level does not suggest anything at all about 'consciousness' or 'spirits'.

• Mum
    Mum

When I was in college, some gals in the dorm were messing around wth the OB. They asked it stupid girly stuff like who whould take who to the dance, etc. But one thing was interesting, although it could be coincidence. They asked it who would be the highest scorer at the next college basketball game. It said "Lorne (not his real name)." After putting the board away, the girls were saying that Lorne would not be the one. They seemed to be confident that they knew the members of the team and their performance history to know that it would not be Lorne. We all went to the game, and Lorne scored the most points.

I have heard horror stories galore about OB's. Some were on this board. Maybe there are invisible beings (not demons) who can tell if you're scared and mess with you. I wonder if they could make Lorne score, too.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

One of the posters on this board is a non-corporeal entity. Really.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Jeffro it really does `suggest` a few things about consciousness. Roger Penrose being one of the most famous physicists in the world who collaborated with with Steven Hawking in his career has written on what he thinks the evidence suggests, and that is most certainly a link. To say it doesn’t even suggest a thing about it is to be ignorant of those better and more able then either of us in the relevant fields of expertise. It would be rational to take that on board.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Seraphim23:

Roger Penrose being one of the most famous physicists in the world who collaborated with with Steven Hawking in his career has written on what he thinks the evidence suggests, and that is most certainly a link.

Sigh. Penrose - an atheist - posits that activity at the quantum level may have a bearing on activity within the brain that may explain consciousness and the ability to 'choose' that might not be otherwise explained by other means. He does not posit that consciousness exists at the quantum level independently. However, his views do not have broad support from the scientific community.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Cold Steel:

I just checked the lighthouse’s website and it’s now providing “Ghost Tours.”

Hmmm... Sounds like an entirely objective source. No reason to suspect those pictures are faked (either digitally, or just a person pretending to be a 'ghost'). Though most of them are plain old pareidolia anyway. In fact, a lot of them aren't anything.

Oh look, there's Mary.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Darth Vader! That shadows going to give me nightmares! He looks like he can see me with those eyes! Creepy! That is what I get for looking close. I am going to look at Shadow again.

Cold Steel watcha trying to do? Scare me to death! If I die I am going to post here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit