Would YOU force blood on a Witness?

by stillin 31 Replies latest watchtower medical

• rebel8
    rebel8

I would obey the law/court, whatever that was. It is not the decision of a healthcare provider to take away self-determination, nor should it be.

Being an authorized decision-maker for an individual jw who is incapacitated is a different matter. If I was given that decision I would follow the medical recommendation, even if the brainwashed individual didn't want it.

• stillin
    stillin

Carla, good point about compromising YOUR conscience.

I'm not sure that the witnesses' proselytism matters regarding whether or not others should allow them some freedoms as to their own medical care.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

stillin:

I'm not sure that the witnesses' proselytism matters regarding whether or not others should allow them some freedoms as to their own medical care.

Maybe you should clarify the initial question. I don't see any problem with medical personnel following a direction by their supervisors to administrator any particular beneficial treatment. Or should the administering staff check every decision or diagnosis made by doctors to make sure the patient agrees? If I go to hospital, I can't just tell the attending nurse to administer whatever treatment I decide on. It sounds like your beef is really with the doctors.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I would honor the wishes of those over 18. No matter how dumb. But, under 18 and your getting blood even if I have to strap you down.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Legally....

An adult with capacity has autonomy, if they say no... Its no.

With a child, its still no, you need a court order first, then it can be forced against the will of the parents and child.

Some patients say no to chemotherapy, we don't tie them down and dose them up. We have to respect the patients right to make a 'bad desicion' specific to a medical scenario.

As for deconverting, if they open that door.... I walk through it and I make the most of the very little time they allow me to be there. I feel its my obligation to tell them the truth .......just as it was to speak 'the truth' door to door as a JW.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Kids, yes, court order.

Adults, their choice.

Elderly are adults, no kid gloves from me on information control of any kind. Their ability to grasp reality should be more honed than my own anyway. I'm not saying I'd go out of my way to hurt their feelings... but they're not children.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Adults, no I wouldn't force it. I'd honor their wishes, but if possible I'd sure try to present some info that might change their minds.

Children, well, I don't have any. But I agree, if blood is nec., hospitals should go to court if nec. to save a kid's life.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i wouldn't force blood on a Witness i felt as if God was forcing me to do things when i was a Witness i never liked that.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Nobody (adult) should have medication forced on them that they do not want. We all have the right to decide what goes into our own bodies, even if it should result in a loss of life......but let's not forget that a lot of them do pull through without it

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is a very difficult moral question, and I think would depend very much on circumstances, for me to come to a decision.

Take it out of the JW scenario, and even the medical treatment one, say someone has an irrational fear of water, extreme hydrophobia, and so will not drink.

Would you simply let them die, because their right to choose trumps reality ? If you could bring about their re-hydration, and then maybe perhaps get them to see reason, would you not force liquids upon them in some way ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit