My story so far

by brainmelt 30 Replies latest jw friends

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

As a cancer survivor, I want to tell you, there is hope.

I do not know what kind of cancer your son has, but treatments

have advanced and so have survival rates across the board.

Stay away from nutty wittnesses who will try to get you to go to

Mexico for "miracle" cures. All the wittneses I knew who took this route

are now dead. I had third stage advanced invasive and aggreessive cancer,

That was 20 years ago. I sought to the most agressive chemotherapy and

radiation and surgery, not pretty, but I am here, alive and well, so I am glad I did it.

• never a jw
    never a jw

I don't know if I could call myself an atheist, but I am certain that I am a humanist. I got great faith in human intelligence, resilience and capacity for compasion. Your son lives in a time when we have accomplished great things in many fields, especially the medical field. Great doctors and the right medical procedures will go much further than all the prayers of the in-laws. Spend more time involved with doctors than with the in-laws. Best for you and your family, especially your son.

I am glad there is one less minion serving the Fake-full of deceit slave

• DJS
    DJS

I had a similar experience with my 20 year old son several years after exiting the WT. I came home one night to find him very sick (I had taken my to the doctor that day and had my ex check on him later), near death's door. I called 911 and held him in my arms while waiting for the ambulance, trying to talk to and comfort him. But it never entered my mind to pray to a god; afterward and upon reflection I realized that I was a certified atheist.

You appear to have arrived at this quicker than I. It will give you peace of mind and you will no longer have to use valuable gray matter thinking about or worrying about the topic. You can use the brain space for other more useful engagments.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome to the site,,,Sorry to hear about the little one.
    I am not an atheist,but some of my grandkids that I brought up a JWS
    are now..The rest are still in the cult.But So happy that your free.

Mouthy

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I'd sooner be a Mormon.

That's like jumping from one frying pan into another one.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

I'm sorry that your child has cancer brainmelt. My niece had rabdo-something. It put a severe strain on my brother's marriage and unfortunately my niece died. I remember my niece's poise and grace going through chemo-therapy and how the community pulled to gether to hold a jazzer-size fund raiser to raise donations for helping cancer patients and doing cancer research. Life sometimes sucks and your choices make it better or worse.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Brainmelt, I am so sorry to hear about your child. Please read up on as much information as you can about the illness, and get the best quality doctors. I sure hope that it is one of those cancers that can be "easily" cured. I hope that you caught it on time. My father was recently diagnosed with a very curable form, it was just a surgery, which went well, and done!! They checked the rest of his body for cancer and he seems to be cancer-free. I do hope it is the case. In either case, try to spend as much time as you can with your child, reassure him/her constantly of your love.

ILTTATT

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Hi Brainmelt, I am sorry to hear your son is going through cancer and treatment, I hope everything goes well for him. I too found out I had it a few months after we faded so I know how trying it is to deal with both at one time. I am gld your husband came out with you, mine did too. I am glad your children are young and now you can enjoy all of the fun celebrations with them and they can have a happy life not under the control of the GB. Hang in there and keep us informed on how he is doing.

• free and happy
    free and happy

Hi Brainmelt and hubby and welcome!

I'm glad you have each other through this difficult time and I agree with you that children are amazingly positive about things they go through.

Although our eldest daughter didn't have cancer, we found out she had a brain disorder at 12 which caused curvature of the spine and have been through the blood thing too, it was one of the many turning points for me personally, without blood she wouldn't be here today.

Our second daughter had the same back condition as well and although blood didn,t have to be used this time , it was touch and go after the op as they had trouble stablizing her bp and red cells.

Their sense of humour and fight pulls you through and we had the best care from a UK hospital ever, I can't fault them.

My parents are like yours very understanding and supportive and I have had a few conversations regarding blood with them, I thought it might be a fact in them questioning the religion themsleves but sadly not but I live in hope.

Take care and know you have support here too.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome, it is lovely to have you here. I am so sorry to read about your child and hope treatment works out.

I too have a 5 year old, and seeing the absolute joy he experiences at his birthday makes me realise how much I missed out on and how glad I am that Zac does not have to grow up the same way that I did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit