Movie BLACKFISH Reminds Me of Watchtower Corporation

by OnTheWayOut 19 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You can Google it to learn more but BLACKFISH is a documentary about killed whales in captivity. Particularly a male named Tilicum who wound up killing trainers, the last one in 2010.

I had to bite my tongue when my JW wife said "Whad did ya think?"

I answered but wanted to say that SeaWorld giving the impression that trainers were most highly educated was a lie, telling the public these were isolated instances of trainer error was a lie, and all their actions and area tions made me think of WTS.

Trainers were typically not marine biologist but just young eager excellent swimmers. SeaWorld told these young people all kinds of untruths about the whales and just focused on money. So the workers were not experts, they unknowingly repeated corporate lies, a d were not protected from a potential danger like JW's do with doctrine. Further, when trouble occurred, SeaWorld quickly got lawyers to blame the trainer- victims.

For years, they knew Tilicum's danger and made decisions based on money instead of human safety.

Oh, and SeaWorld portrayed itself as wonderful to the public.

Its a good documentary. I just couldn't help thinking of that other corporate entity.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

That was "killer" whales. Damn the tiny keyboard and auto correct.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Worst response ever in the first two hours. I gotta start threads on Monday morn instead of Friday night.

• zeb
    zeb

and i guess the corp made $$ out of the whales and the 'trainers'?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Wow, I just came home from this movie and while watching it was struck with the very same thoughts as you. Remember the one female trainer who said "I thought I was an expert on whales, but I was only an expert at training whales using Sea World methods. I really didn't know anything about whales"?

• HarryMac
    HarryMac
    Worst response ever in the first two hours. I gotta start threads on Monday morn instead of Friday night.

haha, it was one of those... 'Interesting... but I've nothing to add'

Until now.

Keep the faith buddy!

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

OTWO – that is what I was thinking when I first found out what is really happening at the SeaWorld. They are like an evil cult. I can’t wait to see BLACKFISH myself. I really hope this documentary will make a change, and people will stop taking their children to see marine mammals in captive. Whoever thinks that these animals have a good life at marine parks should learn more about Morgan, Lolita, Corky, Kiska, what happened to Alex Martinez and other horror stories related to captive orcas.

Thank you OTWO for giving this topic a mention.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Being raised around Marineland and Sea World, I visited these parks my whole life and loved it. The last time I went to Marineland was before they closed, 30 years ago, and Bubbles the pilot whale was disturbed and just going up and down vertically in the middle of the pool, like a person in an episode rocking back and forth. I cannot forget that site to this day.

My bf and I were members of the American Cetacean Society, Greenpeace, (he was not a JW), Cousteau Society, and went to Sea World a lot. Sometime in the 90's for some reason we just began feeling it was wrong to keep these creatures in captivity solely for our enjoyment. We stopped going. It disgusts me.

I will see the movie. I am so glad attention will now be brought to this. Before they completely enclosed the orca show tank with glass at Sea World, there was a platform the whale could swim up to and pose. One time between shows, the whale was just free and swimming around and it decided to slide up to the platform and take a look at us sitting, no more than 5 ft away...no glass. He was looking at us and we were looking and talking to him. That eyeball...wow. He was glorious.

It's time to end this.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Very interesting. Thanks for posting about it OTWO

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Interesting comparison. I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing OTWO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit