hello. pls help. getting married soon. afraid i won't be happy because wtbts said so.

by seasickbumblebee 80 Replies latest social relationships

• steve2
    steve2
    here's the thing that bugs me the most: i know i could be very happy with him if it was not for his conscience. :(

Listen up girl - and listen real good. Do you want to marry a man or a wimpy boy who invites the elders into the marital bedroom? You're not at all alone: The world is full of women who wish their partners would change - but they don't change.

You've been warned. If he cannot respect the privacy of what he does with you, it's over girl. Over. Do you want to live with a man whose conscience has him overruling the sanctity of marriage by going to talk to other men about your intimate lives? What next? He feels obliged to talk to the elders because - shock, horror - after you're married, oral sex occurs? He wouldn't be the first dimwit JW who has wrecked a marriage because his precious conscience had him blabbing about where he put his mouth in the marital bed.

What ever country you're in, here's what you need to do: First, go for a long run, then have a long, long, long cold shower, and get a grip on your life real quick. You are being warned loud and clear - unless of course you've already made up your mind and you're just looking for a listening ear? In which case I've wasted my breath and you're walking into this marriage with eyes wide open.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I think you should not be entering into marriage keeping secrets from your future husband. If you are having doubts, you should be addressing this. Honesty is important. You need to tell him. Better you disclose this before you marry than after.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Before confessing anything to this dweeb I'd want assurances he's not going to go running to the elders again!

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Deal with any doubts you have and after doing thorough research on watchtower doctrines and scandals if you feel like you might not stay a witness in the future don't marry a jw. Find someone that has nothing to do with jws so when you leave and your family shuns you at least you'll have his family. If your spouse is non jw, it might be easier for you to become inactive and fade without getting df - it's much harder to do this with a believing JW husband with whom you won't be able to share your thoughts openly.

His conscience bothering him is a minor issue. Don't worry about that now. Focus on your doubts, do research and then think clearly about what you want in your life because marrying a jw might be THE biggest mistake of your life regardless how you feel for him at present.

If you're baptized, your marriage will not be the same as some here who were never jws and are married to a jw while disagreeing with the watchtower. Think carefully about your future. If after doing your research you feel strongly about staying a jw because you believe it's the truth, then come ask about your bf having conscience problems - but you should know elders expected the whole story with full graphic details from both of you when they discussed the matter.

ps. don't share your doubts or what you learn about watchtower with jws or you might get reported to elders and they any doubts can result in you being df.

www.jwfacts.com is a good start, wiki is another good source.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Loyalty is the biggest issue - after you get married will his first loyaklty be to you or the organisation and the elders? This is what you find out from him. If not you then don't marry him. As others have said you will be in for a very tough time if you have doubts about The Truth as if you confide in him he will blab to the elders and you will have no control over your exit.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Postpone. Better yet, listen to Steve2

• Listener
    Listener

This is from the elders book and is kept strictly out of view by a JW, which means you will not be able to show it to him.

Passion-arousing

heavy petting
    or caress ing of breasts on numerous occasions be tween individuals not married to each other. If such conduct occured on a few isolated occa-Sions, especially between two persons involved in a courtship with the intent to marry counsel from two elders may suffice to handle such mi nor uncleanness. The elders should inform the coordinator of the situation. However; if the conduct occurred on numerous occasions
    and the actions escalated in gravi ty and frequency, it may constitute gross uncleaness with greediness, requiring judicial action Their \.vrongdoing may constitute brazen conduct if they give evi dence of a disrespectful, insolent attitude toward God's laws.
    For example the individuals rnay

have no honorable intentions of pursuing marriage.

Sorry about the format.

You're in a dilema and I think you are right. It sounds like the problem will eat away at your marriage if you do get the courage to go through with it and you should seriously consider the advice you have been given on this thread.

If he goes back to the elders to confess about the whole incident, in theory and according to their guidebook the matter should be treated just the same as if he had only been touching your breasts. But now the problem is that he was not honest in the first place and these elders can be a very odd bunch in their thinking. Notice how the above says that their could be action if the person shows an insolent or disrespectful attitude? They could consider they you both contrived to hide information from them as being very disrespectful. You just don't know with these guys.

But it is likely that what he did was wrong and you took part in it will always be remembered with a guilt feeling. This is what is taught in the Watchtower

Watchtower 81 11/1

An engaged Christian couple who were soon to be married let their guard down and engaged in “uncleanness.” (Gal. 5:19) Looking back, the young man admitted: “Most of the time we had a chaperone. But those few times we didn’t hurt us.” Other youngsters later thanked their parents for being strict and carefully monitoring their entertainment, for they remained chaste and entered marriage with no regrets or bad memories. If your child’s intentions are honorable, he should not resent your godly discipline, for it is “the way of life.”—Prov. 6:23.

Do you want to live with a person who has regrets and bad memories about a situation that was driven by your sexual attraction and how likely is that going to affect your future sexual relationship? It is one of the great joys of being married.

You've got to ask yourself why you couldn't sort this out together and why it had to be taken to an elder? More importantly, why have the elders not been clear on the matter in their discussions with you both? If they didn't mention anything about touching genitals then you could take it that it didn't matter in your situation because, as the article above shows, both heavy pettying and touching the breasts are treated the same.

What you could show him is the article in the 2006 7/15 Watchtower

"Suppose an engaged couple indulged in passion-arousing heavy petting on numerous occasions. The elders might determine that even though these individuals did not manifest a brazen attitude characterizing loose conduct, there was a measure of greediness in their conduct. So the elders might take judicial action because gross uncleanness was involved. Gross uncleanness might also be appropriate grounds for handling a case involving a person who repeatedly makes sexually explicit telephone calls to another person, especially if he was previously counseled about the matter."

Do you notice how it talks about 'numerous occassions'? The writers are very specific at times in what they say, if they were to include a heavy petting session which happened only once, they would have said so.

If he is supposed to be the future head of your household then why didn't he do some research on the matter or ask someone discreetly? Now he is imposing his conscience onto you and his behavious is seriously affected, especially if he is getting depressed about it, as you say. It has taken you to do some research on the matter.

This brings me to another problem. If he knew or the elders knew that you had posted on an apostate website about the matter, even though it was looking for advice, their could be serious consequences for you.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Step 1. Research the JW religion.

Step 2. Leave the JW religion.

Step 3. Enjoy life without the guilt and superstitious bullshit.

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

seasickbumblebee, your relationship is not a "normal" relationship. It started within the JW community, regulated by extra rules that have nothing to do with falling in love for another person. I don't know you, your future husband or anything about the circumstances, but fact is:

> his decisions are not his alone. He is taking into consideration what 8 men in Brooklyn tell is right or wrong. You received very good advice here - even biblical one! (Joseph and Mary is a very good example). Your future relationship will depend on what these men publish in their magazines.

> instead of following HIS thinking you decided to write on an ex-JW forum and ask ex-JW for advice. This should tell you a lot about yourself. I am not critizising you here, to the contrary: it took you courage to do so and I applaud that, but what is now a small doubt in your mind WILL grow over time. Now you are freshly in love and looking forward to the bliss and harmony of a nice Witness wedding, but the pressure and lunatic ideas of the WT WILL get to you. Others have been there. I was an elder and married for over 15 years and the result is a sad and painful divorce. I am not saying that this will happen to you, who knows, there are so many variables and no one can foresee the future, but you are indeed starting on a shaky ground.

One last thing. You wrote: "my jw family is going through a very difficult time and i think they're all going to be depressed even suicidal if they deal with the shame." This is exactly what my family used to blackmail me for YEARS. IF someone is suicidal than it is NEVER because of you. Everybody is responsible for their own actions. This may sound harsh, but if they take dumb decisions because you are taking your OWN Life into your hands, then so be it. Not your problem. You only have one Life to live, if you want to waste it because of other peoples opinion, than you're in for a hellish ride.

I left "the truth", and yes my family went through a crazy, crazy phase, but guess what? Nobody committed suicide and they are all still the brave, little Witnesses that they always were. On the plus side I AM FREE. Freedom can be painful but at the same time it is sweet.

• seasickbumblebee
    seasickbumblebee

thanks for all the responses.

sometimes i feel guilty too because what we did is unclean in god's eyes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit