Question for Current or Former Elders (baptism of minors)

by Michelle365 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

I was born and raised in the cult so am well aware of the dangers of my daughter getting baptized this young. I was "disassociated by my actions" apparently so it's important to me that they don't decide so young and then try to cut off contact with me. I fully intend to write a letter to the BOE and the Headquarters and to "cc" my attorney on it. I've been discussing the seriousness of baptism with my daughters but since they are aged 10 and 11 I don't feel they are mature enough to grasp the situation THUS also not mature enough to make the decision, but we all know how that goes. In my mind, it's the same as forbidding she get a tattoo at 11. No life changing decisions made at young ages is my motto. lol

I understand that she may decide at 18 to get baptised, but at least I can say I tried to save her from doing it too young.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to do this and if it's something the BOE is supposed to respect.

Michelle

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There is an experience of a parent in a similar situation as you at Baptism of a minor. The child, mother and elders went behind the fathers back and got baptised despite knowing the fathers objection, and refused to do anything about it afterwards, even when being threatened legally.

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

Awesome. Kinda figure that is what's gonna happen to me. Thanks for the link, I'll go read it now.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

RE: "drug dealers"

Yes exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Letters???

Give me a break. These are sick Narcissists entrapping your kids. They don't care about a stinkin' letter.

There entire existence is a hunt for narcissistic supply. Your kid is a trophy if they get him baptized. It's all about feeding them narcissistic supply. Of which THEIR entire world revolves.

Awesome.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

I just copied and pasted this entire thread to my estranged jw spouse.

This is disturbing.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The only hammer you can bring down on them is a threat of legal action (costing them financially).

For your ex-hubby, you can use the threat that if he violates the divorce decree you will use it to get sole custody.

The BOE may suggest it is better for them to cooperate with your wishes since it is a LEGAL issue concerning a MINOR.

Unfortunately, lawyers are not cheap!

Overall, you might be better to convince your child that you know of soooo many people who have been damaged by early baptism -- when they made a foolish mistake in their youth and were expelled and unable to receive spiritual assistance. You wouldn't want to see their friends be forced to shun them over some foolish error.

Doc

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

What this goes to show is how useful it would be to set up a free legal resource to assist the non-beleiving spouse to protect their kids from indoctrination by the Watchtower and baptism followed by a life of enslavement. The Watchtower provides free legal advice to help JWs to win custody battles but the non-JW spouse is left on their own. There are some lawyers who have identified helping the non-JW spouse as a niche but they are doing it for the money not as a social service. Pulling together a library of cases showing successful tactics in these situatiosn across the English speaking world would be a start. I am legally trained but have no family law expertise and won't have time to devote to this properly until I retire in 15 years time but unfortuatnely the need is now. I would be interested to hear from other lawyers out there who may be able to assist and perhaps we could work out how to make a start. Or if anyone has experience in fighting these sort of custody issues or can point us in the direction of anyone who might - please do so.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Pm for JWFACTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit