Question for Current or Former Elders (baptism of minors)

by Michelle365 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Michelle - from my limited experience I would say FIGHT with everyhting you've got. Try to get an injunction on the basis of potential breach of the chidl custody orders. It is outrageous that children below the age of 18 are indoctrinated into commiting to what amounts to an almost contractual arrangemetn to obey the Society and be subject to its draconian judicial processes. Do everyhting you can to protect your kids from being captured while they are too young to know what they are getting into and trust in their father's misguided direction.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Given the importance to the Society of recruiting children of existing JWs due to the increasing failure of ministry work in a more educated and informaed population do not expect any help or sympathy from them.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Mischell 365 Don't let your kid get baptised. It will will determine her future. Goal No.1

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

If you have joint custody and a religious decisions agreement, get a lawyer. But, you risk upsetting your daughter in ways you cannot foresee. Think it through. Ultimately, baptism means nothing. It's the life choices that are made afterward that matter. You'll be in a better position to "guide" those if she is happy than if she thinks you stood between her and Jehovah.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

as her mother you have every right to say no. i hope you are successful. i wrote in another thread that my daughter will be the first person in my family allowed to choose. i view it as a gift. an 11 year old cannot get married so such a commitment so young is wrong especially when baptism is considered more important than marriage.

• Mum
    Mum

She's not even old enough to get a driver's license! Isn't the commitment she is expected to make by being baptized a LOT more serious? Let her know that if she wants to be baptized, that's fine, but she needs to be grown up before she can make that decision. By all means, talk to your attorney, and make it clear that, as a minor, she should not be subject to WT "discipline" at the level of an adult. If she does get baptized, her dad and the elders should sign a statement giving her some latitude to make her own mistakes without being shunned.

The other side to this is that she could get DF'd as a teenager, and her dad might not speak to her. Then you would have a golden opportunity to keep her away from the KH. I would tell the attorney she can't go because she's on their "bad list" and no one would be allowed to speak to her, and that's too harsh for a person her age.

Good luck with this situation.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I never heard of this. Call your divorce lawyer and ask if anything can be done. Fully explain the shunning part.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i know of no such letter...i have not been an elder for 10 years but am privvy to all the latest.

jesus was 30 btw

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I do have joint custody and "religious decisions" are supposed to be made together.

I would have a lawyer serve notice to your ex-hubby, as well as to the BOE, the CO, and the WTS Service Dept that this violates THE LAW.

Further state that it is your purpose in delaying the baptism until she is of legal age to prevent her from suffering the harmful affects of shunning that could potentially result in the future from this immature decision.

To your hubby, if he pursues allowing her to be baptized then you will petition the court to end the "joint" custody arrangement and award YOU total custody.

To the Society, inform them that this is legal notice to them that approving of her baptism at this age IS ILLEGAL. Further, if she suffers any emotional harm in the future from abusive reproof (judicial committees) and especially from humiliating public announcements or shunnings as a result of them allowing this despite being notified that it is ILLEGAL, you will attempt to hold the Elders as individuals, the Congregation, and the Watchtower Society (and its other corporations) FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE.

If you threaten this and give them time, they will try to do it before they receive any legal notice making them responsible for their actions.

AS NOTED ABOVE: Your daughter is likely to be convinced that you are working for Satan himself and your position on this is an example of persecution she must endure.

Good luck,

Doc

Michelle,

You need to speak with your family law attorney asap. Your divorce decree/judgment will be critical to the determination of this situation. Your attorney will advise you as to the availability and likelihood of success in filing a motion for a temporary restraining order/permanent injunction to prevent the imminent and irreparable harm that will most certainly result if your daughter is baptized.

Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit