The more time I spend with "worldly people" the more I realize...

by confusedandalone 40 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

... that they actually have more of a desire to get to knoww you then Jehovah's Witnesses. For years at the kingdom hall although I was an elder everyone "knew of me" but no one knew me. I realized that I never really had a friend who knew anything about me as a person or my background. The worst part of that was that no ne really wanted to get to know that aspect of me - they just wanted to be friends with the elder that gave talks in hopes it would benefit them. Those are facts. As proof now that I am not an elder there is no interest at all. People will see me places and not want to talk - peopel who I helped with sound advice when they were in need...

Today I went to a cigar shop to buy a replacement humidifier for my cigar humidor. When I walked in all these 50 and 60 somethings were playing cards. Black guys /white guys / Latinos old music was playing and there was thick cigar smoke in the air. I looked for the owner and noticed that some guys at one table were playing TEXAS HOLD 'EM. I sat down and watched and one of the guys asks me if I want in? I said sure. I played cards with a 3 old white guys and some dude from CUBA for an hour. None of them knew me. However the conversation we had over the game dealt with

a. Music

b. Sports

c. Women

d. Political Issues

I voiced things to these people I wouldn't dare say to JW's I knew for 20+ years. I said heartfelt things that I have never uttered to other people. At the end of it all, I had nicknames (Big Slim / Chocolate Thunder) prior to this I was only ever called my name or Brother. They asked me where I lived, told me about the area. Funny stories about things that happened in the past... it was great. I never bought a dang thing and I got to smoke a free cigar. Lastly the owner says to me, "every day after 5 it's dealers choice Big Slim... we expeckin' to see you more often." I said, "Great! I'll be here - this was awesome".

It took an act of God to get invited to a gathering as a dub... I can get use to this new life

• Comatose
    Comatose

That's so awesome big slim! I love my local cigar shop. Similar atmosphere. Hey look for a PM from me.

• poppers
  • ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi confusedandalone, I'm glad that you had so much fun and were able to make new non-JW friends.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

They tell us all these lies and stereotypes of non jws because they know if we actually get to know them, we'll find that they are people just like us who want the best for themselves and their kids, and have the same needs for friends and acceptance. When we see them as less than satanic, the illusion crumbles.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Please don't use the term worldly.... It really is like using the 'n' word....

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Build Bridges..

• Mum
    Mum

It's good to have the freedom to make your own judgments about people, eh? You were accepted immediately without any questions to determine your "spiritual" status. Keep it going!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

It is because JW's practice only conditonal love.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Hey slim. Looks like you wandered into the right place. I love me a nice cigar. Next time you plan a golf trip to San Diego look me up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit