The experience that changed my life

by hijosdelawatch 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• hijosdelawatch
    hijosdelawatch

I have been lurking for a long time here and I think I'm prepared to speak about this experience openly.

I was born in a JW family and I grew up as the average Jehovah's Witness does. Even being very young, I helped with the territories and other work in the congregation. I was baptized very young influenced by my family and my own conviction.

But when I was 17 something happened. My mother was ill for a long time and she was suddenly hospitalized. She needed a blood transfusion and my father was out of town. The elders contacted me. They told me I had to be bold. As she was unconscious, the elders wanted me to bring the 'no-blood card' to the doctor. Just imagine that situation for a 17 years-old boy. I had to speak with the doctor with the company of an elder. "My mother can't get blood", I said. "Well", responded the doctor, "it's the only available solution. If we cannot use it, I can't ensure what will happend".

Finally, I went home that day and I searched for the card. I didn't know where it was. I can't tell for sure if I wanted to find it or not but finally I got that card. I looked it and I see something. The card wasn't signed! The elders called me and I explained what happended. Then, the COBOE (the President in those times) told me: 'That's not a problem. Just copy your mother's signature.'. 'Ok, let's see', I answered.

Rapidly, I visited the doctor. I showed him that piece of paper and told him: "just do what is right". The doctors didn't allow the brothers to visit her for 2 days as she was very critical. When the elders asked me, I said: 'I did what I think was the right thing to do'.

My mother recovered and no one never asked about what happened. She has never asked me about it. The elders either.

I never recovered from what I had lived. I discovered I couldn't believe in the blood doctrine. Some time later I was appointed a MS. I tried to convinced myself it had not happened. That I didn't do nothing but it was all a problem with that card. But I never overcame that. I was not the same and it was only a matter of time that I could open my eyes definitely.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Stay strong you did what your heart said ws right. You kept your mother alive.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

What an awful experience for such a young man! I am so happy your mom lived....and that now your eyes are open!

Coffee

• Londo111
    Londo111

Welcome, hijosdelawatch!

Have you read In Search of Christian Freedom? This has some good information on whether or not "abstain from blood" means "no blood transfusions".

• Satanus
    Satanus

You continued to have your mother in your life. It was a very courageous thing for you to do at 17.

S

• hijosdelawatch
    hijosdelawatch

Londo11:

Welcome, hijosdelawatch!

Have you read In Search of Christian Freedom? This has some good information on whether or not "abstain from blood" means "no blood transfusions".

I read "Crisis of conscience" later. I'm still an active JW because of family but planing to fade. Fortunately, my family has allowed me to go to college and I'm now on it. I stoped pioneering a couple of years ago when I found out TTATT.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Just imagine if you had signed it, taken it to them, been firm, and your mother died from complications. No way of knowing if she would have, but if that happened, you would have a very different feeling than the one you have now.

Researching the blood doctrine is like going down the rabbit hole. It opens up a massie amount of cognitive dissonance, and can really free your thinking. I am glad you saved your mother. I am sure Jehovah and her are both glad as well.

I think your conscience told you what to do in the heat of the moment.

Does your mother know she got blood? Does your father know?

• out4good3
    out4good3

Just imagine if you had signed it, taken it to them, been firm, and your mother died from complications. No way of knowing if she would have, but if that happened, you would have a very different feeling than the one you have now.

Indeed.

The few minutes he would've been able to spend as a JW superstar is not a good trade in relation to having his mother in his life.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Welcome higosdelawatch! Wow, what a story! So glad you have your mother with you, and how brave to do what you did. I'm not sure what I would have been so strong.

We look forward to your posts.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

You did the right thing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit