Who Taught You The Truth(tm) OR Who Counted Time, On You?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 34 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

My fellow co worker who brought me into the "truth",who had been hurt previously by the attitude of bros.said to me some months after I was baptized ,that I would probably hate him for bringing me into the religion .He was stumbled again by the JW`s at this time .( of course I didnt ) He did a good job of converting me , he fell away and I stayed in .(unbeleivable )

smiddy

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hello 3rdGen, The family head that you know, was NOT the one I am talking about.

Just Lois

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Smuddy...Are you still in contact with your old fellow co-worker? Does he realize that you now know TTATT?

Just Lois

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

I was a born in & started studying with 2 special pioneers so I could get dunked at age 14 - we studied the Live Forever Book. They told me by the time we finished the book, I should know if I want to get baptised or not. Thru our studies they would always make a point of telling me how getting baptised would be the most important decision I would ever make. When we finished the book, they asked me about getting baptised. I told them that since getting baptised is such am important decision, I didn't feel I was old enough, as a teenager, to make such an important, life changing 'adult' decision that would affect my whole life. They stopped studying with me coz they felt they couldn't do anymore to help me which was upsetting for me.

A few years later, our book study conductor approached me to start a study so I can get dunked, so a study was arranged with a close family friend. I told this family friend I didn't want to study the Live Forever book, coz it was too basic & boring for me & I knew it inside out. So we studied the Revelation book. When we approached the elders for me to get dunked they asked me why we were studying the Revelation book. I told them the Live Forever book was too basic for me and that i knew it inside out & I preferred something with more substance. Also too, I had a fascination with Revelation book as its the only part of the bible that will happen in my time (if only I knew 'the troof' back then). They told me I had to study another book (I think it was the United book) which we did. I think we only had done 3 chapters when the elders approached me to get baptised & our nxt assembly in 2 weeks time. I was the last of my friends to be baptised at age 20 & the oldest one on that day. Now that I know TTATT, I regret getting baptised.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My parents raised me in the cult and it was a painful childhood and hasn't really got better as I get older.

I look forward to the eternal rest of my death to be quite honest. Get this sh1t over with.

Dad would go through the vile pictures in the sh1t ridden 'Paradise(TM)' book with me at bedtime.

The scars of a JW upbringing will never heal. 2 failed marriages and a life where relationships don't work for me.

I just want to be left alone thanks to the vile indoctrination and lies of the watchtower corporation cult.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

although I was born in I had a "walkabout" phase and it wasn't until I was about 20 that I started to show more interest in the so called "troof" a very good family friend and an elder in our cong got the job to study with me and set me up for baptism , the irony though was that this elder was the chairman on my JC about 5 years later!

• Mum
    Mum

While my family were living in Dayton, Ohio, my dad ran into his boss on the street. His boss was hawking the magazines. This was about 1955-56, when I was 9 years old and was in the Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children in Lexington, Kentucky for about a 3-month stay at the time.

My parents came to pick me up to take me to Ohio. On the way home (a slum on Gates Street, later purchased by Urban Renewal), they told me they were studying with Jehovah's Witnesses. I had always lived with my grandparents in rural Tennessee, and I had never heard anything good about JW's, but I didn't say anything because it was very uncomfortable talking to my parents and I was a withdrawn, reticent, terrified-of-everybody kind of kid anyway.

After we got back to Ohio, we went to my parents' apartment and then to my dad's boss's house. When we got there, their two kids (about my age) jumped from behind the door and yelled, "Surprise!" They had bought me some coloring books and crayons, maybe a puzzle or some other things kids like. Then I was introduced to the family. They had the same last name we did

My dad's boss was from Kentucky, and spoke a lot of Appalachian dialect, which made me comfortable with him. He was about 6'4" and had beautiful red hair. He was a sweetheart. I adored him and loved the attention I was getting. His wife seemed very refined. She was well-spoken and had a great sense of humor. My 9-year-old self was quite impressed with these folks. They truly were wonderful people.

So my dad's boss, his lovely wife, their son (6 days younger than I) and daughter (a couple years older than I) came over every week and we studied the Let God Be True book. My mom would always serve coffee and a dessert after the study, as my parents wanted to make a good impression on these people they considered wealthy and had power over us. My sister and I would play with the kids. My brother was an infant.

After we finished the LGBT book, we started another one. It might have been Let Your Name Be Sanctified. I was amazed, as I had expected the study to end when we got through the book. It turned out that they had soooo many books!

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Thanks for the memories. I read to S---y he also enjoyed the memories. Only person to study with me was my mom and then only occasionly. How many of girls are still active JWs. I count only two. Is that correct.

3rdgen what a small world. One of the women who studied with Lois is my mother-in-law.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I studied that lovely little piece of crap call the "Truth Book". First I studied with a single "brother". That didn't work out so then they had me studied with a "brother" who went on to be a circuit overseer or district overseer (not sure which I wasn't around by then) and one of the long time "annointed"witnesses. I was a great disapointment to them when I walked away from the Watchtower. It is sad that we couldn't remain friends but the were hardcore company men.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

When I was about 14/15 two JW girls in my school started a study with me in the "Truth" book. My parents didn't like me studying with the girls so we studied on our lunch break at school, at their houses, at the park, at the mall, or wherever we could meet during the summer. When I was old enough to have my own car I would go to one of their houses before school for a study. While they pressured me to get baptised when I finished the "Truth" book I resisted as I didn't see how I could dedicate my life to Jehovah while living at home with parents who opposed. I continued to study with the two original girls and another sister for five more years before moving out on my own at 20 and getting baptised.

Every August I was trotted out as the example of one who came into the "truth" from someone witnessing at school.

Reopened Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit