Britain | Jehovah's Witnesses hushed up child sex scandal | July 16, 2013

by jwleaks 172 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

I know nothing about this case except what is being reported, but here's my comment.

'Their barrister Richard Daniels said the men had a "duty to God" not to breach confidence.

He added: "Privileged communication between members of the congregation and ministers is an absolute right and duty and there is no power in law to breach such a confidence." '

Commendable, (debatable) if you believe that is what you are doing, brothers. If so how come you then changed your mind at the last minute?

''Despite the judge's ruling, the men still refused to make statements to police until just hours before they were called before the jury.''

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

BIGGIE

VIDEO AND FACE BOOK COMMENTS VOTES GET YOUR STEP IN

http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/73858/jehovahs-witness-church-elders-covered-up-sex-abuse-by-paedophile

Jehovah's Witness Church Elders Covered Up Sex Abuse By ... Sky Tyne and Wear - 11 minutes ago

Jehovah's Witness ministerial servant Gordon Leighton admitted sexually abusing a child when he was confronted with allegations before elders at his church.

• cedars
    cedars

Notice in the Sky News video Leighton taking pictures of reporters on his cameraphone as he leaves court.

What a despicable man.

Cedars

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

blondie - Can it be confidential if three elders are involved and they report the information to WT headquarters?

Catholic Church = 1 priest does not tell other priests and does not report it to Vatican????

I feel that Blondie made a very good point. How can JW elders profess privileged communications, when they must report all cases of child abuse/molestation to the WTBTS?

I also hope that the UK legal system will allow the victim to seek compensation from the elders and the WTBTS.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Is it just me, or are there more and more of these cases coming out of the woodwork?

At this rate of increase, we'll be reading about a new one almost every freaking day by the end of the year...

EDIT, Although, in retrospect, that is what Barb Anderson effectively predicted way back when...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    ThomasCovenant - "Commendable, (debatable) if you believe that is what you are doing, brothers. If so how come you then changed your mind at the last minute?"

Only two reasons I can think of:

A) They realized the way the wind was blowing, and got scared.

B) A WT rep higher up the chain of command realized the way the wind was blowing, and told 'em to.

Option B is likelier; with their history of resistance in this case, it's hard to imagine all three of 'em caving at the same time, even if they were threatened with jail time for contempt.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" How can JW elders profess privileged communications, when they must report all cases of child abuse/molestation to the WTBTS? "

I believe Rick Simons used that exact line of reasoning against the WT. Do other countries rely on precedents set in the US? If so, I bet the WTBTS is dreading the Conti verdict.

• not bitter
    not bitter

I wish I hadn't read this. I'm so angry again.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Jesus never intended for shepherding the flock to be turned into a legalistic game in which the innocent can so easily be hurt!

• cofty
    cofty

What a shambles!

They really are a bunch of dangerously incompetent amateurs.

I haven't heard of any of the people in this story. It was a different circuit from my old congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit