Britain | Jehovah's Witnesses hushed up child sex scandal | July 16, 2013

by jwleaks 172 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Prime
    Prime
    "Mr Scott said contacting the police was not discussed as an option."
    So after hearing a confession of horrific sexual predatory behaviour against children the Jehovah's Witness elders don't even mention the police as a possible option.
    Any questions on why there is a scandal?

Excellent point. They did contact the headquarters in London. The U.K. doesn't have mandatory reporting laws. Make a simple comparison to any other organization. An organization has never been under fire for how they interacted with law enforcement. Not, for that reason in itself. The reason why; is because if a person is an adult, they always have this resource at their disposal. If a person wants to press charges, this option is open to them.

In times past, prior to a church official being criminally charged, victims and their families wrote letter after letter to an organization's headquarters. If the men being accused were stripped of their position as clergy, excommunicated from the church and the families were informed of their right to seek further retribution through the criminal justice system, most persons would accept this as an adequate response. If a cardinal testified to a confession upon being subpoenaed, that would appease the mind of a victim even more.

• Prime
    Prime
    Prime said: "I disagree with the elder's decision to not initially turn the confession over to the investigating officers and the court without being compelled."-- Perhaps stalling, in regard to turning over evidence, (until forced to do so) is part of an Elders training and mentality..As indicated by the example cited here: "..page 143 of the elders handbook, Pay Attention To Yourselves and to All the Flock. This page is left blank, with elders filling in dictated notes. In regards to child abuse the following paragraph is scribed. Child Abuse. Ref Letters: A.B.E Aug 29th 1989 pg 3; LLA 10/10/2002; 28/8/02. Legal ramifications. *In cases of either accusation or allegations of child abuse, immediately contact the society. Do not talk to anyone else. *If a brother or a sister confesses to child abuse, ask them not to speak to anyone else till you get back to them, and contact the society immediately.. ..*If presented with a search warrant or a subpoena, the last resort is to hand over any material. (Cong file) Find out exactly what is wanted and hand over only that. Preferably seek legal advice first. (stall) Read the warrant. Write on envelope Ecclesiastical privilege claimed, not to be opened until matter is determined by court. " http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/paedophilia.php

What you have posted is an addition to the book available to Australian elders only. It was an addition to the 1989 version of the book. The added information you're quoting was for Australian congregations only. It was not in the U.S. version of the book. Why do you think that is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandated_reporter

"In many U.S. states and Australia, mandated reporters are professionals who..."

I don't know about Australia, but clergy wasn't mandated as "professionals applicable to child abuse reporting laws," in the United States at that time.

If an elder has a legal obligation to report, they need to be the first one to do that. That is why this stated; "If a brother or a sister confesses to child abuse, ask them not to speak to anyone else till you get back to them, and contact the society immediately."

The legal ramifications associated with the information you posted has to do with reporting laws and defamation statutes.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

From a purely secular perspective, when it comes to child molestation we can discuss mandatory reporting laws until the cows come home and it all boils down to what’s legally required from one jurisdiction to another. And to that I say, SO WHAT?

But when it comes to child molestation I don’t think most participants here really care about legality as much as they care about morality. Morally it’s inappropriate to do anything whatsoever that helps perpetuate child endangerment by a molester.

Morally the Watchtower organization swims in a mire of deceit; the whole time pretending its wearing robes of righteousness.

Marvin Shilmer

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Of course "Jehovah's Organization" would have no moral duty to report would they ? they are as lacking in morals as the God they serve.

In all of the WT/JW handling of such things there is no thought, or consideration., let alone love, for the poor victims who have had their lives ruined by these evil men.

It should be everybody's first move to report even suspicions of abuse to the correct authorities, who will appoint trained personnel to deal with it.

The U.K's Prime Minister has gone on record as saying this should be the norm.

To delay is to allow time for the abuser to threaten witnesses, and or the abused, and to cover their tracks, if that does not happen, as it has many times, they are still free to abuse further until stopped.

The WT/JW Org. disgusts me that they do not see this, and do not direct their Elders to act as any responsible citizen morally should, Law or no law.

You disgust me Prime, for attempting to defend them.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

@ Marvin,

Prime will not or cannot comment on " moral " issues. Moral decisions come from the heart, not cold legalistic thinking. You cannot dance your way out of moral questions forever. That is why the most damaging thing for the WTBTS is to have members on the stand in court. The GB would drink their own kool-aid before getting on the stand, why? Sooner or later, the truth comes out. Here is a recent example: "Mr Scott said contacting the police was not discussed as an option."

Jesus used illustrations to reach peoples hearts. Those with good hearts " got it." Those who liked to hide behind laws and technicalities were cut to the heart, not because they were sorry, they were furious that they were exposed. Moral decisions are only difficult for those who have an agenda, or benefit from making a self-serving choice. A good example would be...oh...$800 million dollars in real estate sales. A normal, decent human reasons, " Child abuse is a crime and should be reported to the Authorities."

The Superior Authorities bear a sword to be used against wrongdoers. Also, you reap what you sow. The WTBTS is learning this lesson the hard way. I hope it continues. I also hope more people like Prime step up and defend the actions of the WTBTS.

" Really, then, by their fruits YOU will recognize those..." Matthew 7:20

• flipper
    flipper

PRIME- You are obviously not up on the latest elders manual's given out to JW elders. In 2011 they received new instructions on how to deal with child abuse allegations and in this particular case they did NOT follow WT Society instructions. In many OTHER cases the elders have not followed proper procedures for reporting child abuse . Even WT Society leaders fight the law about admitting any liability in not reporting child abuse and letting it continue for the sake of protecting themselves financially. WT leaders do NOT care about protecting innocent children from molestation. Stop making excuses for a criminal organization protecting criminals. What is your motive for protecting felony child abusers ? How are you an accomplice to these felony child abuses occurring ? Is it only in your attitude ? Think about it

• Prime
    Prime
    Of course "Jehovah's Organization" would have no moral duty to report would they ? they are as lacking in morals as the God they serve.
    In all of the WT/JW handling of such things there is no thought, or consideration., let alone love, for the poor victims who have had their lives ruined by these evil men.
    It should be everybody's first move to report even suspicions of abuse to the correct authorities, who will appoint trained personnel to deal with it.
    The U.K's Prime Minister has gone on record as saying this should be the norm.
    To delay is to allow time for the abuser to threaten witnesses, and or the abused, and to cover their tracks, if that does not happen, as it has many times, they are still free to abuse further until stopped.
    The WT/JW Org. disgusts me that they do not see this, and do not direct their Elders to act as any responsible citizen morally should, Law or no law.
    You disgust me Prime, for attempting to defend them.

Most persons don't agree with the "prime minister's" approach.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/apr/22/abuse-allegations-school-teachers-reporting

Why schools are failing to protect pupils from abuse

Two recent cases show that headteachers can't always be relied upon to protect children from abuse in school. Now campaigners are calling for urgent changes to the law.

There is no mandatory reporting law in the UK as there is in some other countries: the relevant statutory guidance allows heads to exercise a degree of discretion about what to report.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2170094

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Besty - "So after hearing a confession of horrific sexual predatory behaviour against children the Jehovah's Witness elders don't even mention the police as a possible option."

It occurred to me that there's something we may not have considered before.

In the rare instances where allegations of sexual abuse have been reported to the police by the elders, approximately what age bracket were those elders in? Because I can't help wonder if they were younger types.

All the pics of the elders on Leighton's JC show older men (to me, anyway).

However unbelievable as it may sound, is it possible that a significant percentage of older elders are simply incapable of viewing child sexual abuse as a big deal?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We had a case of abuse in our Congo over thirty years ago, one Elder at the meeting they had to discuss the ramifications, said straight away "I don't know about you brothers, but I am going to the Police with this".

Sadly, such guys were rare even then as Elders.

For Prime:

Prime, what does your post achieve by showing similar problems elsewhere, in Schools etc ? we know this is a problem in many places, it still is the most terrible of crimes, and if some disagree with reporting, shame on them.

Shame on you too, for constantly trying to obfuscaste the issue, are you perhaps a fellow Paedophile ?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Prime -

Most persons don't agree with the "prime minister's" approach.

OK. Prove it. Where is your evidence?

As Phizzy asks so do I. Prime, your constant siding with the watchtower(R) over their vile unrepentant practice of protecting paedophiles is questionable. You come over as more interested in protecting Jehovah's witness paedophiles than in protecting children from those monsterous predators.

Prime. Are you a paedophile?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit