I lost my pet today...

by tooktheredpill 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

TTRP, I am so sorry for your loss, especially because I have been through it myself, and felt like I lost a human.

Now I have another dog, and this one is love of my life. I cry even when thinking of her passing, but if it happens, I know that my life is better with a canine baby in it.

Also, there are lot of dogs that need home, love and protection. I hope this tragic loss won't prevent you and your wife to open your heart to another furry child that needs love.

http://www.youtube.com/user/eldad75

• Watkins
    Watkins

I'm very sorry, TTRP, can totally empathize... losing a loved pet is a cruel pain. I read your post earlier today but couldn't post for the crying - God, it hurts too much.

A year and a half ago, one of my sweet cats was killed in our own yard by the new neighbor's dog. It took me months trying to get over that horror. Then along came a little gray kitty who needed me, and evidently I needed her more. (We live in the country and have recieved many of our pets by them being abandoned here - I guess it looks like a good place to dump unwanted pets.) I thought, oh no - I'm not ready yet, still mourning my other cat... but the gray miss won my heart in an instant. I think she was an excellent 'therapy cat' who helped me so much in getting past the pain and I loved her through and through. I couldn't keep her inside like I wanted, though - she demanded to go out. But every morning she was present and ready for breakfast. I was always a nervous wreck until she returned, anxious because of the neighbor's dogs - now not one, but 6 dogs. I even printed them out the state laws prohibiting dog owners from leaving their dogs run 'at large'... they made a few half-assed efforts, not nearly enough. I complained to them so much it was about all I had to talk to them about.

So it's been 3 weeks since I last saw my beautiful gray cat, and I don't know what happened, but I know she's not coming back. I'm a basket case. I feel those dogs are to blame - no evidence, just a gut feeling - past behavior = future behavior. I've talked to the neighbors several times - next time their dogs are out of their yard I'm calling the sherrif. I can barely believe the hurt they've caused us because of their total lack of responsibility as pet owners.

I'm trying to concentrate on the good times I've had with my pets - the free-for-all love we shared and their cute antics - their love was a real blessing. I'm consoled a little that I know I gave them the best lives and they always knew how much I loved and cared for them. How I wish they could've grown old with me. At least a natural death from old age is a kinder type of cruel pain than having them ripped away without rhyme or reason. I feel... broken. It's not fair. It's a horrible, helpless, feeling of loss. I do wonder if the joy of their presence outweighs the pain of losing them. When I'm not so overly sad - months from now - I'll be better able to weigh the difference objectively. But right now I can't stop crying for long - poor husband feels so bad for me and offered to shoot all those dogs, lol. But that wouldn't bring my dear kitties back.

We need time to heal, TTRP - then, maybe a new pet. One doesn't replace another, just adds to the long list of those we've loved... and those who've loved us in such a wonderfully complete way.

I mourn with you - my heart goes out to you

watkins

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

So sorry for your loss :(

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

So very, very sorry. It is frightening how much we love our pets. We have five and they are the center of our world. Most of our circle of friends are animal lovers also...We have a big memorial dinner together whenever one of us has a pet cross over "The Rainbow Bridge". It does help to mourn with like minded friends.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Sad to hear of your lose.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Very sorry to hear that. I love my animal friends, and the deep pain of losing pets is somthing that I have also had to go through a couple of times. Maltese are very cute and smart dogs. I bet she was lovely.

From time to time my wife and I will sit down with a glass of wine and go through some old photos of our pets. Now that the worst of the sadness is past it really does help us to remember the good times, and the good life that we gave them. I hope that when the immediate pain subsides a bit you will also be able to find happiness in remembering how good you were for her as owners, and how good a baby she was to you.

FG

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

No words can express my sympathies for you loss, tooktheredpill.

I own a 13-yr old Golden that I raised from a 6-week old puppy. I will miss him terribly when he passes. I just hope that I do not have to put him down - that would really suck!!

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Quandry
    Quandry

So sorry for your loss. She was loved by you. She had a wonderful life. I wish all little animals could have that.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm sorry -- I've lost pets before and it is very sad and lonely when they're gone

• scary21
    scary21

I lost the best dog I ever had. She was only 7 yrs. old. A Golden. I wish I could have had her a few more years. I will never forget her, she was one of a kind ! I have an other Golden girl. I love her but I swear if she was a human she would be a crack smoker .....lol.. They are all so different, just like us. I waited about 1 yr before I got her but that is because I knew I would be moving soon. Three years ago my cat ( 10 yrs )died of a heart attack right in front of me.. He was the sweetest, and loved fruit....fruit any kind of FRUIT...I cried for 2 weeks...of course my other cat (bad kitty ) is still alive at 16......... So sorry you are going through this pain.

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit