Old out-of-touch JWs using antiquated terms

by sir82 38 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Ever notice how completely out of touch some (most?) public speakers are?

Last week we had a speaker ramble on for fully 1/3, maybe 1/2, of his 30 minute talk on the evils of "rap music".

I don't believe the term "rap music" has been uttered by anyone under the age of 40 for at least 20-25 years.

This week we got another "older gentleman" warning us about the pervasive dangers of "internet chat rooms".

Again - didn't "chat rooms" die out about the same time as dialing up to connect to AOL?

You might dismiss this stuff as the confused ramblings of old guys who find a "jitterbug" phone too complicated to figure out, but the Society's outlines and printed material still, in 2013, make copious references to "rap music" and "chat rooms".

What other archaic terms do you hear / read?

And the Society wonders why its message is met with eye-rolling derision by virtually everyone under the age of 30.....

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

This week the brother giving the prayer mentioned "the Faithful Slave and its representative, the Governing Body."

Apparently he hasn't seen the July 15th, 2013 Watchtower yet, (although this New-Light was first made public at the Annual Meeting last year).

• TD
    TD

My wife told me a speaker recently used the term, "Square" in his talk. As in, "Jehovah's Witnesses might seem like a bunch of squares." The last time I heard someone use that expression in that context was late 1960's

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Ever notice how completely out of touch some (most?) public speakers are?

Last week we had a speaker ramble on for fully 1/3, maybe 1/2, of his 30 minute talk on the evils of "rap music". I don't believe the term "rap music" has been uttered by anyone under the age of 40 for at least 20-25 years. This week we got another "older gentleman" warning us about the pervasive dangers of "internet chat rooms". Again - didn't "chat rooms" die out about the same time as dialing up to connect to AOL?

You might dismiss this stuff as the confused ramblings of old guys who find a "jitterbug" phone too complicated to figure out, but the Society's outlines and printed material still, in 2013, make copious references to "rap music" and "chat rooms".

They are mostly OLD men who have worked up their Public Talks years (maybe decades) ago without doing any significant updating. The decision to reduce the Public Talk from 45 minutes to 30 minutes was the only thing that caused any adjustment in talks that were already prepared in decades. It still didn't result in any updating.

Doc

• Splash
    Splash

Yet on this forum page right now are three recent threads all talking about rap videos.

Splash

• stillin
    stillin

You tell 'em, Splash!

i remember an olde District Overseer, Dennis Raftopolis, a cool dude if ever there was one, making fun of how cool he was back in'40's in his spats.

Some of these guys need to learn to take themselves a little less seriously. There isn't much coherence in the music world these days at all. There's no actual culture taking shape, it seems, except a shapeless one. How could somebody describe it at all?

the principle seems to be that "every generation sends a hero up the pop charts" in one form or another, but it isn't here for long, so chill, take a pill. And be cool.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Hey splash!

When did you have Dennis Raftopolis? I remember him from many years ago when he served (?) Memphis, TN. Wonder where he is now...

Radar

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

Dennis Raftopolis served the Massachusetts area in the late/early 80s. When giving a talk at the Circuit Assembly, towards the end of the program he would always chide the audience by saying something like, "Keep checking your watches, but I'll be done on time." He was quite the speaker, no doubt. I've always wondered if he is still around? Anyone know if he is and where he is? Just curious.

• stillin
    stillin

Sorry, folks. Dennis Raftopolis is passed away. The Society retired him to a nice apartment in Florida. One CO told me "Dennis breaks all the rules and gets away with it."

RIP, Dennis. They don't make them like you anymore.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I remember a speaker at a Circuit Assembly in the 90's that went on about the evils of popular music, citing "Born to Be Wild" and "Magic Carpet Ride". Um, dude? Those songs went out with the movie "Easy Rider" and Peter Fonda (who?).

Unbelievably out of touch, no wonder the kids roll their eyes and want to escape...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit