Zimmerman Not guilty

by mouthy 480 Replies latest social current

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    making up evidence that doesn't exist or claiming bogus scenarios as reality.
    Ironic
  • tootired2care
    tootired2care

At least some can seperate this travesty from the right to bear arms.

And thankfully the jury was able to separate facts, from the blathering stream of crap that the left threw at this case in an attempt to exploit the worst in people and score cheap polictal points. If they were so concerned they should have started in Chicago where young black men in their prime are being gunned down daily, not podunk FL.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

DNA evidence is leftist???? Huh, wadda ya know.

• TD
    TD
    Some laws are sensible and there for good reason, some are outdated and no longer make sense. It doesn't matter - it is 'the current law'.

Yes. Texas for example allows the use of deadly force not just in defense of life, but in defense of property as well. A person can use whatever level of force is necesary to re enter and reclaim their land, which harkens back to the days of squatters, claim jumpers, and land wars. I'd say that's probably outdated.

• designs
    designs

MoveOn.org has a petition written by the NAACP directed to the Department Of Justice to pursue a civil rights violation case against Zimmerman.

• TD
    TD
    ...to pursue a civil rights violation case against Zimmerman.

I thought the FBI had already investigated this?

• awaken2004
    awaken2004

Seems most of us are guilty of talking in circles. Funny how Simon and tootired seem so annoyed and closed the case yet they are still here.

• talesin
    talesin

TD

I was discussing the case with a Texan friend last night. He owns a security firm, and was the leader (or whatever it's called) of his neighbourhood watch a few years back. I was quite shocked to hear that, too ... it's your country, and guns will be around forever, I get that. But I'm glad that mostly criminals carry handguns and automatic weapons around here. Very few citizens are 'licensed to carry'. I see a shady looking dude, and I walk the other way and call the cops if there's a crime involved. That's what the cops are paid to do.

I do know someone who shot an intruder quite a few years back. It was late at night, they had a new baby, and heard someone downstairs. Hubbie loaded his bedside handgun (legal), and crept down the stairs. Saw a shadowy figure and yelled "Stop!" The figure turned towards him and he shot and killed the intruder. When the lights were turned on, he discovered it was his neighbour's 16 year old son, mostly likely looking to steal some electronics to buy weed or whatever (late 70s, so weed was the 'big deal' back then). The man was not charged with any crime, because he was defending his home. He did have a breakdown, though, and changed him forever.

These sitches are so sad.

tal

• designs
    designs

Yes the FBI have been collecting information on this case. It will be interesting to see if the DOJ takes up the case as a civil rights violation since- negligence, mistakes, recklessness, and accidents are not civil rights violations under Federal Laws. Still it is worth pursuing for several reasons related to raising the consciousness of the public on gun related violence and the high murder rate in this country.

With Florida law on stand your ground education and responsibility become paramount to preventing needless harm to humans. The Florida man shot in a Pizza Take-Out line for demanding faster service shows the need for greater education and responsibility with gun ownership. Maybe young Martin's killing at Zimmerman's hand will make this country contemplate a better way to resolve conflicts.

• talesin
    talesin

Do we know for a FACT that GZ was not brandishing said gun?

Ironically, were I to open carry where anyone could see my weapon, that's 110% legal. Were to carry concealed and, in a conflict, even show that I was carrying, that's brandishing and considered assault. So, if I were to carry and my shirt accidently gets pulled up over my pistol and someone sees it and feels threatened, I have just magically commited assault. Another reason I rarely carry despite the fact I am licensed and trained to do so.

EP

So 'open carry'.... just getting things straight .... would mean holstered where it was visible? Okay, understood. But I meant 'brandishing' in terms of out of the holster and following the guy ... would that still be legal? And does it vary state-to-state? These gun laws are so fascinating (kinda like a train wreck), and complex to this Canadian,,, so just wondering?

tx

tal

Edit: I like to shoot, too, but the only time I had a weapon and was not hunting or target practicing, was when I was a pawnbroker. We had a shotgun and Saturday Night Special in the safe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit