Bitter apostates

by Laika 73 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

As a Mormon, myself, I see the article in a somewhat different light. And though there are similarities in the hierarchal structures of the LDS church and the Jehovah’s Witnesses, there are some incredibly significant differences. Although both churches claim inspired leadership, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is based on a God-given theology, not manmade. The Jehovah’s Witnesses shy away from the words “prophets” and “apostles,” but we don’t. Charles T. Russell and Joseph Rutherford were preachers who “took the honor unto themselves” and presumed authority from God they did not receive. Thus their warnings are of little consequence.

The LDS church, on the other hand, is based on divine authority that was conveyed by heavenly messengers to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in compliance to the law of witnesses—to wit, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. Later, Sidney Rigdon and Joseph Smith shared a vision of the degrees of glory that await mankind after the resurrection, again establishing the truth through two witnesses.

If the Jehovah’s Witnesses are correct and that an “invisible” Jesus Christ “called” Charles Taze Russell and Joseph Rutherford to be his earthly representatives, then the words of the Governing Body, their successors, should be heeded as from God, himself. But if Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery received the holy priesthood, as they testified, then their warnings should be heeded as from God.

Wherefore, I the Lord, knowing the calamity which should come upon the inhabitants of the earth, called upon my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and spake unto him from heaven, and gave him commandments, and also gave commandments to others, that they should proclaim these things unto the world; and all this that it might be fulfilled, which was written by the prophets: The weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones, that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh—but that every man might speak in the name of God the Lord, even the Savior of the world; that faith also might increase in the earth; that mine everlasting covenant might be established. (D&C 1)

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that when one is baptized, one becomes a member of the organization and an ordained minister of the gospel. But if so, why can they not baptize their own children or the converts they glean? Why must higher ups have this honor?

The Lord’s purpose is that every man might receive the holy priesthood by way of calling and ordination. This is what he wanted for the Israelites under Moses, but they rejected him, and so Moses became as God to them. But under the fulness of the gospel, it is his will that “every man might speak in the name of God, the Lord, even the Savior of the world.”

Of course I realize the possibility that both religions may be false, in which case apostasy from both would be freedom to those who leave; however, if one views all of Christianity, which sect among the many has apostles as the ancient church had? Which is guided by revelation and prophecy as was the ancient church? And which has witnesses who can attest to the coming of angels and the restoration of God’s authority to the earth? Thus, during the heady days of Kirtland, when many saw angels and visions, and prophesied, revelling in the Spirit of God, the prophet warned them that following that would be a purge. Thus the dark days of apostasy came and many fell away.

LDS theologian Noel B. Williams writes: “The more we learn about the first decades after the passing of Christ, the more we can see internal rebellion against God’s covenants and against his authorized servants—much like the rebellions against Moses in the wilderness, or against Joseph Smith in Kirtland in 1836. The rebels were members of Christ’s church, sometimes leaders, who sought for earthly power, glory, and even justification for their own sins.”

So the bottom line is that apostasy from God’s truth is destructive to both the apostates and the church, itself. The only difference between a convert and an apostate is simply a point of view.

• Laika
    Laika

Cold Steel, the problem is that JWs and seemingly Mormons as well, are trained not to see any valid reason to leave the religion, so when someone leaves they get attacked and often cut off. It's a horrible experience for those of us whose only 'crime' is a loss of faith. Also, doesn't it bother you that the Mormon website whitewashes Joseph's history by making out he was a faithful and devoted husband of only one wife?

• cantleave
    cantleave

the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is based on a God-given theology, not manmade.

Golden tablets and magic underwear who the hell are you trying to kid.....

• 5go
    5go

Yeah I have run into a couple of religions that use the truth when refering to themselves.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Cold Steel - "...the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is based on a God-given theology, not manmade."

You do know that the WTS makes the exact same claim (almost word-for-word), do you not?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Those were my exact thoughts.

• Woody22
    Woody22

I am married to a Mormon and am familiar with their teachings one thing

I want to say is Mormons do not shun others in fact many members do not

even know when a member is excommunicated and if they do know they still

associate with them. In all the years I have been married to my wife and attend

many services I have never seen anyone shunned. Mormons are very family

orientated.

Woody22

• Woody22
    Woody22

I might add if I had to make a choice I would be a

Mormon before I would be an atheist.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Don't step out of line robot because if you do we'll call you an apostate and then all of your robot friends and family will forget about you and act like your dead.

• Oculos Aperire
    Oculos Aperire

Everyone of those Mormons in that vid look like they all have beautiful homes and tons of money... How do they all get so rich??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit