Bitter apostates

by Laika 73 Replies latest watchtower bible

• prologos
    prologos

LDS have not bitter apostates,

BETTER APOSTATES.

Mormons work hard, solid families, some multiple, savy tax deductions.

firmly anchored in this world, politics.

If it is a worthwhile thing it is their thing.

no booze, no coffee, brains working on own steam.

healthy.

doctrines just as nuts as WT BtS.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Sometimes I wonder how you can leave the Witnesses without learning critical thinking.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I'm reading the book, Farewell to Jehovah's Witnesses, by John Rippon. I'm convinced that some of the things that keep the Witnesses in tend to turn, over time, into the things that drive them away. The ritualistic shunning of family members and friends, the constant bombardment of the same things over and over, the relentless expectation of Armageddon and the forced separation from the world; these all create a steady pressure that, over time, starts creating cracks in their own foundation. To some degree this is offset by the granting of recognition and power; however, there is a great deal of mind control at work that I don't see in any other Christian religion.

Some who fall away from the JWs become atheists and reject all religion, having been burned. That also is part of the mind control process, though they don't realize it, because the scriptures they once knew (and misinterpreted) become hateful to them. I also think the translation of the scritpures they use is so pedestrian and esoteric that it goes out with the bathwater.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

An excellent book to read about the history of the LDS and the horrifying FLDS sects it spawned is "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer, who is referred to by Mormons as "Krakpot Kraky." That honorific alone should be reason enough to read the book.

Cold Steel: " Some who fall away from the JWs become atheists and reject all religion, having been burned. That also is part of the mind control process, though they don't realize it, because the scriptures they once knew (and misinterpreted) become hateful to them. "

It's not helpful or correct to paint all exdub atheists with the same brush, as much as you would like to squirrel them all into your convenient little categories. People are just a bit more complicated than that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Cold Steel - "I'm convinced that some of the things that keep the Witnesses in tend to turn, over time, into the things that drive them away. The ritualistic shunning of family members and friends, the constant bombardment of the same things over and over, the relentless expectation of Armageddon and the forced separation from the world; these all create a steady pressure that, over time, starts creating cracks in their own foundation."

I have to say, I agree with this bit.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

@Cold Steel ... it seems the JW's hired the ilustrators of the Mormons :P

Also... like all cults: let them prove they are the persons assigned by God... unlike Jesus and Moses they have no miracles to back them up...

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Woody, I have to disagree with your comment. I know of a couple Mormons that were excommunicated and their Mormon family stopped speaking to them. I know of one whose family refused to go to their wedding. If you ask JW's in field service if they shun ex-members they'll be dishonest and say they don't.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I had a neighbor who was raised Mormon but never accepted it, in fact she was an emancipated minor and supported herself from the time she was 16. Her mother and siblings shunned her, except to tell her she was going to hell. Your attempts to say that Mormons are different and better than the JWs is hilarious. Same meat, different gravy.

Although both churches claim inspired leadership, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is based on a God-given theology, not manmade.

You realize the JWs say exactly the same thing,right? This is your BELIEF. Fine, believe whatever you wish, just stop trying to peddle it here, I wouldn't even waste time trying to read and refute your nonsense. Go sell crazy somewhere else, we are all full up here.

• nugget
    nugget

Cold steel I think you need to examine your own belief system with an open mind before trying to win converts here. It was examining the flaws in the Mormon faith and the early leaders that I was able to see the flaws in my own. I would never think of becoming a Mormon and certainly have no intention of being controlled by another group of men on a power trip they validate with their own brand of made up scripture.

• Laika
    Laika

Yes Cold Steel, I'm sure poor Joseph Smith didn't want to have sex with all those ladies, he just felt forced to by God...

Though you didn't really answer my question, which was not about whether it was right or wrong for Joseph Smith to have multiple wives, but whether or not it bothers you that the Mormon website's biography implies he only had one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit