Hubby's Becoming a COP!

by outofthelionsden 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

jws can have government jobs except in the military and state department.

What's wrong with the State Department? Translators etc.

Doc

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Your husband has lots of courage and i feel proud of you guys, and happy to hear about this.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Congratulations. It must be fulfilling work.

You comment about him being a tradie for the new system reminded me of a quote from the Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15, which stated, “And trades such as carpentry, plumbing, and others, will be useful not only now, but perhaps even more so in the reconstruction work that will take place in God’s new order.”

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

That's awesome! Tell him to not let it go to his head.

There was a sister in our circuit whose husband was a cop. I was pretty young at the time, maybe 6 or 7. He would come to the assemblies and I'd always say "Officer Mike, are you packin' heat?"

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Good for him! We need the police and I'm grateful for those men and women who are willing to take on such a tough job.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

My Father was a Cop, but he quit when he became a JW. There was another JW Cop that we knew from another cong, and there was a big scandal when he had to kill someone. People talked about it for quite some time.

I have another family member who is still a Cop in Lake Mary, FL. which is a bedroom community of Sanford. I have been privy to a lot of details that have gone on in the Zimmerman affair from the very beginning. If people only knew how the Government helped arrange this whole ordeal to escalate, they would be even more upset than they already are. I tried telling everyone from the very beginning that there is more going on than meets the eye with the way the MSM twisted things and flat out lied and that we should wait to get all details before passing judgement, but it went over like a lead balloon and I was accused of being things that I am not.

I hope your Husband stays safe, there's a lot of bad people out there.

• blondie
    blondie

State Department--no matter how you look at it it is a political department in the eyes of the WTS where neutrality is hard to maintain. I supposed you might be able to be a lowly typist...but I had a family member who had to leave to stay a witness. Nothing specific, one of those "check with an elder."

As to armed employment (non-military)

*** w05 11/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Can a Christian maintain a good conscience if he accepts employment that involves being armed?

Jehovah’s Witnesses the world over take seriously their God-given responsibility to provide materially for their families. (1 Timothy 5:8) However, certain forms of employment are in clear violation of Bible principles and should be avoided. These include employment connected with gambling, the misuse of blood, and the promoting of tobacco products. (Isaiah 65:11; Acts 15:29; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Colossians 3:5) Other types of work, though not directly condemned in the Bible, could violate one’s conscience or the conscience of others.

Engaging in secular work that requires carrying a firearm or another weapon is a personal decision. However, armed employment exposes one to the possibility of becoming bloodguilty if called upon to use one’s weapon. Hence, a Christian needs to consider prayerfully whether he is willing to accept the burden of making a snap decision where human life is involved. Carrying a weapon also exposes a person to the danger of injury or death from an attack or reprisal.

Others may be affected by one’s decision as well. For instance, a Christian’s primary responsibility is preaching the good news of God’s Kingdom. (Matthew 24:14) Would it be possible to teach others to “be peaceable with all men,” while at the same time earning a living by carrying a weapon? (Romans 12:18) What about children or other family members? Would having a handgun in the house put their lives in danger? Moreover, could others be stumbled by one’s stand on the matter?—Philippians 1:10.

In these “last days,” more and more people are “fierce, without love of goodness.” (2 Timothy 3:1, 3) Knowing this, could a person remain “free from accusation” were he to choose armed employment that might bring him into conflict with such individuals? (1 Timothy 3:10) Hardly. For this reason, the congregation would not regard such a person as “irreprehensible” if he continued to carry a weapon after being kindly given Bible counsel. (1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:5, 6) Thus, such a man or woman would not qualify for any special privileges in the congregation.

Jesus assured his disciples that if they put Kingdom interests first in their lives, they need not be overly concerned about having the necessities of life. (Matthew 6:25, 33) Indeed, if we place our full trust in Jehovah, “he himself will sustain [us]. Never will he allow the righteous one to totter.”—Psalm 55:22.

*** w83 7/15 pp. 25-26 “Seek Peace and Pursue It” ***

Use of Arms in Civilian Employment

17 If someone has employment that involves carrying a weapon for use against other humans, or if he is required to be trained in the martial arts, such as judo and karate, what should he do? In making his personal decision he must bear in mind that a follower of Jesus is to pursue peace. (Romans 12:17, 18) In view of what is stated at Isaiah 2:4, most of Jehovah’s Witnesses avoid such employment. Even though the employment may be for the purpose of protecting the public (or property) in harmony with Romans 13:4, experience has shown that there is always the danger of incurring bloodguilt by taking life with the weapon, with harm to the individual’s conscience, as well as there being a danger of injury or death to oneself due to retaliation. (Psalm 51:14; compare Numbers 35:11, 12, 22-25.) Certainly it is best to avoid such dangers by selecting employment where they do not arise.

18 During these “last days,” many employees are expected to carry a firearm. Bank or security guards, watchmen and policemen may even be required to do so to hold employment. But what of the Christian, who is obligated to “provide for those who are his own”? (1 Timothy 5:8) His Bible-trained viewpoint would be different from that of worldly persons, who feel free to carry such weapons and to use them as they see fit in any dangerous situation that may arise. (Ephesians 5:15-17) He will want to avoid bloodguilt, having in mind Jehovah’s viewpoint on the sanctity of blood. (Genesis 9:6; Psalm 55:23) A mature Christian should try to find unarmed employment. Some Witnesses by talking with their employer have been successful in changing to a job that does not require carrying a weapon.

19 As the world becomes increasingly violent we can no longer regard as exemplary a brother who continues in armed employment. He could be allowed six months to make a change. If he does not make a change, he would not be in a position to hold special privileges of service and responsibility in the congregation.—1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:5, 6.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Cool. Now, he gets to shoot people;)

S

• clarity
    clarity

Aw gee .... I guess your husband won't get to clean the hall

anymore or run around with the mic!

Congratulations for stepping out!

clarity

• laverite
    laverite

Wow, I love hearing such grand news. Congrats to you both!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit