My 8 year old daughter tells me she is an atheist...???

by sosoconfused 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• baltar447
    baltar447

You're daughter is smart and doesn't believe religious bullcrap. What's the problem?

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

I know I should probably feel different but I am really really feeling kinda like I have failed in some way. The first thing I did was start praying for something to say, but then realized that she seems more logical in her thoughts than I do.

To top it off my wife is like, "She seems smarter than we were for most of our lives"

So I really felt like my decision has caused them to be godless,, then I feel like - well is that bad. Kinda throwing me for a loop.

Very very weird feeling

• Berengaria
  • Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

She is being honest and expressing her true inner self. That is priceless! She will have a lifetime to ponder the questions of God. Please don't be too concerned. She will have many life experiences that will bear on her formation of a god belief. Do you like that she is free to be herself rather than being coerced or forced to accept things as so?

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

@Bere - thanks I need that LOL

@Bob - I am... I am very happy - yet blaming myself like itook god awayfrom her. I think it is just confusion for me at the moment.

I don't know why I want her to believe in GOD - its her choice,I just feel like I forced it on her...

I guess I will learn to think clearly on this later. I think its cigar and scotch time

• Scully
    Scully

sosoconfused

Don't stress about it too much. Like MrFreeze said, all children are born atheists - without belief in the supernatural - I can totally relate. When I was 6 years old, my parents started Studying™ with the JWs. We'd never been a churchgoing family before this, not even at Christmas or Easter. Anyway, the first Meeting™ we went to, I was listening to them talk about how the earth would turn into a paradise after Armageddon™ and I distinctly remember thinking "That's NEVER going to happen!"

Kids have a better BS detector than we give them credit for sometimes.

• gma-tired2
  • gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Be proud she is already using critcal thinking.

• Q & A
    Q & A

She's the WT Organization's worst nighmare -- a young one thinking for herself/himself.

How adorable! Thanks for sharing!

~* Q*A *~

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi sosoconfused, Although I believe in God now, when I was younger I considered myself an agnostic. As long as your child critically thinks for herself, is moral, and respects/loves other people, then you have done a good job as a parent.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit