Having fun in China

by fulltimestudent 52 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The Ming dynasty was the last native Chinese dynasty to rule China. Dynastic histories are quite complicated, so I will not attempt to explain it, but just to note that the Ming were succeeded by the Qing, from a Jurchen family of the Aisin Gioro clan, north of (then) China proper. Nurhaci, the man who developed the ambition to conquer China, put together a coalition of northern and Mongolian tribes that would prove strong enough to fulfill his ambition. Part of his diplomatic work was to make alliances with Tibetan tribes. Nurhaci died before it all happened, but under his third successor and his regent, they finally succeeded, and the Manchu Emperor Shunzi became the first Qing Emperor of China. He was also known as the Kangxi Emperor

This is his portrait:

BTW, some Christians believe Kangxi became a Christian - I do not believe the stories. Why? We have records of some of his conversations with Jesuit missionaries. On one occasion, he asked Jesuit Verbeist, as to why God had not forgiven his son without making him die. Kangxi notes that Verbiest tried to answer, but that he (Kangxi) found the answer incomprehensible. On another occasion he notes that he would gladly witness some of the miracles the missioareies talked about, but that they could not produce any.

On ano0ther occasion when the problem of Chinese rites was an issue. Kangxi observes that, De Tournon, the Papal legate sent by the Pope (and, whom Kangxi treated with great kindness) was a biased and unreliable person who muddled right with wrong. Astutely, Kangxi knew the church had ulterior motives in sending De Tournon and was not being honest with him over the rites controversy. on another occasion when the Catholic Bishop Maigrot takes Kangxi to task for 'false worship' Kangxi notes that Maigrot was ignorant of Chinese literature and couldn't even recognise one Chinese character, yet pretended he could discuss the falsity of the Chinese moral system. He also criticises the intra church jealousies and quarrels (which was at the heart of the rites controversy. And again, Kangxi, wrote:

"Since I discovered on the southern tour of 1703 that there were missionaries wandering all over China, I had grown cautious and determined to control them more tightly. (he) decides to only grant residency to those who were prepared to say that they will not return to the west.

Kangxi later made a decision to approve Ricci's position in the Rites controversy and required all missionaries to agree. those who would not he ordered to be deported.

He was succeeded by the Qianlong Emperor,

and, its these two Emperors who vanquished the last Ming hold-outs and expanded the borders of China, to where they are today. Of course, in the 3000 year history, the borders of China changed often and most parts of modern China had previously been under either direct rule or influence. But what we see today was the direct political consequence of the Qing. In the process however, of extending Qing rule, the Qing came more and more to be Chinese themselves.

What you can visit in Chengde, north of Beijing, was part of the Qing ideology campaign to hold their diverse empire together - hence the 'little' Potala Palace in Chengde. Some say that it was built specifically for a visit by the Panchen Lama in 1779-80. But that is not entireoy clear. The Panchen Lama died in China, anyway.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

More on what you can see at Chengde:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkbOFqi7eY0

and a story of more vandalsim - this time by the Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mzCnGqSAcM

• fulltimestudent
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Another area worth visiting is the western hills area of Beijing. You could take a taxi from your hotel (get the hotel to write down where you want to go in Chinese). or you could use the subway. Go to line No 1, and travel to Pingguoyuan station (the western terminus) - from there you should be able to take a bus.

There are some eight buddhist temples in that area - some are extremely beautiful and very old (maybe 1500 years)

http://www.beijing-travel.cn/Beijing_Attractions/Eight_Temples_Western_Hills.htm

http://www.kinabaloo.com/tj.html

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    What do you think of when you see this pik?

I think of the new complex being built in New York.

Rub a Dub

• fulltimestudent
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

More piks of the westernb hills temples:

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi FullTime , Reading your threads is like visiting you and you are tempting our jaded appetite with some exotic morsel. lol

The painting of Emperor Qianlong reminded me of the Hollywood actor Werner Oland who played the famous Chinese Detective Charlie Chan. I looked up his biography and it says his real name was Johun Verner Olund born 1879 in Northern Sweden, Lapp or Saami heritage. This is from his living 6th cousin. They say that the Saami people look close to Manchu Chinese.

I am so happy FullTime that you are doing something that makes you happy and then turning around and sharing with us.

I don't know what you look like, but you have a beautiful mind.

Just Lois

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Not a travel agent here, but we do travel and get a lot of the web deal offers. We find Travelzoo to be one of the better ones.

This week, they have on their hot list one of the Chinese tour companies called SmarTours (smartours.com). 8 nights in susposedly "superior" hotels (5 beijing and 3 shanghi) leaving from San Francisco including airfare on Air China for as little as $899 on several dates in November 2013 through March 2014. It says New York departures are $100 more. US Citizens pay somewhere around $175 for a Visa I believe.

There are several companies I have seen that do this and I haven't seen anything too negative about them. When you think about it, the airfare alone costs that much or more. You also get the flight between Beijing and Shanghai and susposedly an English tourguide some days.

Wife and I are tempted to do it. When you go to their website, it's one of the tours listed on the 'Beijing and Shangai' link.

Anyone try one of these Chinese packages before? Seems very tempting.

Rub a Dub

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Rub,

A Chinese friend from Malaysia takes the tour option everytime he goes 'look-see' in China. He says it takes all the worries of organising things out of his hands.

As an option it has as lot going for it. But some people want to do it themselves so I'm tacking a bit of info on.

And, unless you know someone to translate, your at a great disadvantage. I nearly cried myself once, at the frustration of a french lady trying to order something at a Beijing Macca's when none of the kids at the counter could speak English.

It is also much more of a hassle to organise things yourself, particularly in a strange language. But most good hotels have competent staff that usually speak English well, they (for a very small fee, in my experience) will get your rail and air tickets and book/confirm your next hotel etc.

Ir you take the tour option, most hotels have a web-site, so you can check what your tour company is proposing before you accept. More - most of the major hotel brands that you know, will have a better product in China, than in your home country. (Sheraton/etc). An exception may be the lower tier chains like motel chains.

Here's a web-page for a Ritz-Carlton de-luxe room:

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/BeijingFinancialStreet/Rooms/Default.htm?tab=3

hit the room photo tab in the room detail box

-----------------------

and here's a Holiday Inn in Beijing:

Now showing Photo 5, Hotel Exterior

I usually go to China with a friend who speaks a number of Chinese languages, so that overcomes a big hurdle for me - but I have done it on my own.

----------------

Lois,

Unfortunately Lois, (smile) so much beauty went into my mind, that the rest of me got nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit