Having fun in China

by fulltimestudent 52 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

A tourist seems to get carried away with his visit, but his video gives a good overview of modern China

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4Rij0ICJw

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

There is a different vibe in the street life and the crowds. Hard to explain, but the mood of the crowds is different - more light-hearted perhaps?

This student picked up a calmer mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_mjgVx1oI

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Some young Americans (from Wayne State University) discuss their experience of China and its affect on them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQFrNPAIok

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

but somewhere else in China, the mood is completely different:

In Hunan province (Hu is the Chinese word for lake and nan means south - so south of the lake), located in the south of central China, is a river called Xiaodongjiang.

The Chinese newspaper, 'The People's Daily' has just published some images of a fisherman on this river, here's some of them.

• zeb
    zeb

Ah... they say youth is wasted on the young and thanks to the "Peoples Daily" for the timeless beautiful pictures of the fisherman.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Yes, Zeb - my youth was wasted on me. I should have paid even more attention to certain basic urges.

And, I agree, they may be state owned, but Chinese newspapers have changed a lot in the last 30 years.

So, maybe (with the help of the Peoples Daily piks) we can go a bit off the the beaten track. Down south to the Chinese province (actually termed an autonomous region- that is, most of the people that live there belong to a recognised ethnic group) of Guangxi. On a map you can see it borders Vietnam, so the same people will straddle the border region. In terms of landscape and life, its a million miles from, say Beijing and the northern peoples that make up modern China.

And in particular we will visit the village of Huangyao. Not clear when this village was settled, but it certainly was in existence in the Ming dynasty (1368-1644 CE).

So let's walk:

• cedars
    cedars

Awesome photos. I'd love the opportunity to go to China some day.

Cedars

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

These old buildings are believed to have been built during the Ming era. People still live in them, but the mood is quite different to city life as seen in the earlier videos

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

And, you walk a little further, and you're out of the town.

This scene reminds me of a small town on the coast of New South Wales (Australia) where I spent time growing up. I loved swimming in the small lake surrounded by forest, where I used to trap rabbits for pocket money.

Past the boy standing on the bank (to the right) is a small stone building, and past that, there's some bamboo leaning out over the river

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Walking back through the village, we pass this small shrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit