Why does god kill children?

by Comatose 269 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I remember some years back when I was still in a photo of a black lady hugging her bible with a look of absolute joy & love for the book. The borg guilting us if we didn't appreciate it as much the illustration.

I couldn't understand then & I still don't understand how anyone could love that book.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Remember those accounts of the people in prison who risk their lives to sneak in a single page of the bible to all crowd around and read together. What if it was one of the Israelite genocide stories... That throws a damper on the warm and Jesus fuzzies.

• tec
    tec

You can't pick and choose which scriptures to regard as inspired. Convenient, but it doesn't work that way.

Not everything that is written is scripture... so not everything written is inspired. Certainly, there is no reason to think that it is inerrant. Not with verses within it that speak to the 'lying pen of the scribes' ("How can you say that we are wise for we have the law of the LORD, when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?" Jeremiah 8:8), and Christ himself corroborating that with 'woe to the scribes and teachers of the law'.

The bible is made of many books... history, poetry, law and prophets (scripture), genealogies, parables, gospels, letters, revelations. Not all of these are inspired. All of these ARE subject to error (mistranslation, misunderstanding, etc)

Scripture and prophets and the gospels and witness accounts... all point TO Christ. But they are NOT Christ, and Christ is the one we are told to listen TO. So then when we do go to Him and are listening to Him and are looking at HIm as the Image and Word and Truth of God... He will teach us the Truth; he will open our eyes as to what is actually meant in what is written, and he will teach us.

It is not a matter of us picking and choosing what we want to believe; you are right that it does not work that way.

But it is a matter of looking and listening to Christ to know truth.

Peace,

tammy

• mP
    mP

TEC

The bible is made of many books... history, poetry, law and prophets (scripture), genealogies, parables, gospels, letters, revelations. Not all of these are inspired. All of these ARE subject to error (mistranslation, misunderstanding, etc)

MP:

You forgot the most important, reason for lies and selfish greed and motivation.

• mP
    mP

TEC

But it is a matter of looking and listening to Christ to know truth.

mP:

How do you listen to Christ ? Where do you listen to him ?

if i pray to him right now will he reply to me ?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley
    Not everything that is written is scripture... so not everything written is inspired.

The standard "get out of jail free' card Christians use to excuse the inexcusable aspects of the Bible. You must believe it....except for the parts that are unbelievable.

What a farce!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

tec:

Correct, and it is not all inspired of God.

--

Sorry, tec, but your statement contradicts your own holy book. 2 Timothy 3:16 says "all scripture is inspired of god". The Bible does not claim that only some of the scriptures are inspired.

Only one of two conclusions is correct:

1. Either the Bible writer is lying, which means the book that contains the lie is also false,

2. or, the Bible is correct and you've chosen to disregard the portions of it you personally disagree with, which puts you at odds with the god you claim to worship.

So, if by your own admission, not all of the Bible is inspired or reliable, how can you believe what it says about Jesus? The accounts about him are contained in the same book you admit is not 100% inspired, true or reliable.

You can't have it both ways.

I love these illogical, self-nullifying statements Christians make. And, the truly sad part is, they haven't thought about it enough to realize what they're doing, but will argue their position ad nauseum.

• myelaine
    myelaine

God commanded the Israelites to kill specific groups of people. He saw that these people were debased and that allowed to live their children would be the same...learning from their familial environment. What reason would any of you have for "tolerating" a group of people that would give their children to the fire?

there are groups of people today that do horrendous things to their own people and to others...to "tolerate" these groups is to completely lack mercy for those who are the victims. I can see God feeling the same way...He felt mercy for those who might have come into contact with them.

if you think that God was being "unfair" then I'll suggest a video that I've been told about on youtube, it shows a bishop who was beheaded by Syrian rebels...slowly and painfully with a small knife they sawed off his head while a small boy stands front and centre to take it all in because he is the next generation called upon to carry out the same sort of acts. This could have been the types of people that God sent the Israelite army out to destroy, because clearly if it could happen in 2013 it could happen then.

It is said that God sees the heart of people even from generation to generation...human "toleration" can't even "see" tomorrow. Romans 3:1-6

love michelle

• cofty
    cofty

You worship and adore a moral monster.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

if you think that God was being "unfair" then I'll suggest a video that I've been told about on youtube, it shows a bishop who was beheaded by Syrian rebels

Wait, so because some people in a particular nation commit atrocities, God kills ALL of the people, including children and babies that have idea what is happening? Including cutting open pregnant women and ripping out the fetuses?

You, your god, the Israelites, the people cutting off heads are all sick in the head. The casual justification of your own bloodlust with "but they do it too" is disgusting and sickening.

This is exactly why my kids are learning to mock religion and god.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit