Post 6: My brother turns on me now - Possible Legal advice

by sosoconfused 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• Prime
    Prime

You won't have any problems from anyone who's a JW that works for you because of private communications with your family. Discontinue talking about religion and/or politics with your family for the time being. There are varying degrees of tolerance. Know when to draw the line.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

You are my brother. I love you unconditionally.

Um, no. If he did that then he wouldn't proceed to put conditions on the relationship.

It's like they don't even listen to what they say!

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Sosocofused, I posted on another forum that your brother has effectively silenced you to (witness in the family) and witnesses. He now has control over what they hear of your "condition".

Personally, I would get him out of the business immediately and I say not even wait for a two weeks notice, he's fired. (Or he quit, then get out of here). Disloyalty to an employer is not something to play around with.

I've been through a similar situation after my dad died, with a fleshly brother that wanted the business and me out. But I had been there much longer than his few months, I had more stock, etc. So he started the character assasination machine going on in the congregation and the family. He was creative in making up lies, it was ridiculous, but effective. Interesting, witnesses play dirty, and use their speech to slander whoever, they will steal out the back door, slander you to customers and clients, and then slander you to your family of how bad you are. Witnesses eager to hear the gossip will believe anything without supporting evidence.

Donald Trump won this law suit: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/news/former-beauty-queen-ordered-pay-donald-trump-5million-184353363.html

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

If I remember correctly you own the company. I would have him sign a paper before you give him his last check saying that he will not interfere with your business or go to any of your employees or something similar to this. It is such a shame you are going through this. I don't think there is anything in the literature that forbid people from working with someone ho is DA'd, DF'ed or faded. We have a few JW's that work for us and one that cleaned our home. I was so stressed about not keeping her because 1. She worked for us for years 2. I was afraid to trust someone else. Our therapist encouraged us to let her go because we didn't have the freedom in our own home. Well we did and we found a wonderful couple to replace her and they do a better job. The therapist kept telling us there are plenty of other good workers out there. You may find it a huge relief to have your brother out of the business. I am sure because of his attitude he makes it very stressful for you. There are plenty of good workers you can hire especially in this market that won't sit in judgement like the JW's do. Hang in there.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Trying to use your business name is disgraceful, he should be ashamed. I wish I lived there, I'd say get rid of him and give me a job!

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    ... it is not an easy decision, but I think that for now it is better that I discontinue my working for you. I have completed all the work in my queue as of this morning so there is nothing outstanding other than the loss draft. I would be happy to complete that as well if you wish. it is not an easy decision, but I think that for now it is better that I discontinue my working for you. I have completed all the work in my queue as of this morning so there is nothing outstanding other than the loss draft. I would be happy to complete that as well if you wish.

I'd call that a letter of resignation. Prepare his final payroll check, and get back any company-owned property, computer files, keys, etc. that he might have. [I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be one on internet forums. Before you consider suing him, get professional advice from a lawyer qualified to practice employment law where you do business.]

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You should consider this a lucky break. I have known a lot of exJWs that have employed JW's, and it is common for the majority of JW employees to leave over time. Your brother has opened your eyes to what is going to happen to your business. It sounds like good riddance with him leaving, and gives you time to prepare for the others leaving as well.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Pay money to a lawyer, if you wish. No legal advice. Judges respect the First Amendment. Family court does not have a remedy.Think in terms of a jury of taxpayers. R

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I was in a similar situation to you once. When I was disfellowshipped, my JW employees left. It actually all turned out for the best. I have a new partner now that is more of a brother than my fleshly brother ever was. There are a lot of good people in this world. We have been brainwashed into thinking that all worldly people are bad.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

My two cents:

Maybe I got the wrong impression but his words seem sincere and it seems he's only following a misplaced duty to stand for what he believes to be right. I have no knowledge of the law but don't see how starting a drawn out process like a suit would make things any better for you, if your ultimate hope is to have your family understand you.

This might only serve to distance them more and further strain your relationship with your brother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit