Post 6: My brother turns on me now - Possible Legal advice

by sosoconfused 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Please know, that at this point, this is my private decision. I will not discuss it with any of the brothers and sisters in the area who work with you. If in time, circumstance are such that its necessary to do that, I will.

In this statement, he has stated an intent to discuss your personal beliefs with your co-workers (employees?) at some unstated point in the future. This in itself is not proof that he has done so, however, and even if he did, he is now (from what I gather) no longer in your employ. Since he no longer represents your business, there's no legal basis for anything here, as he has not done anything from a legal standpoint other than resign and give you a personal letter stating the reasons for doing so. So I don't believe you can sue or anything. Without documented proof that he did make good on this threat/intent, this would be no more than a he said/she said situation. And even then, since he no longer works there, and deals with these men and women on a personal level, I just don't see a legal leg for you to stand on. If he still worked there and did that, it would be grounds for immediate termination on the basis of discriminatory behavior being actively promoted in the workplace.

But this is getting complicated. Seems to me he's lying about a number of things here. Lie #1:

Please note that this has nothing to do with your feelings about the organization at this point.

Lie #2:

You are my brother. I love you unconditionally.

Lie #3:

Please be assured of my continued love and support, both brotherly, familial, and principled.

There may even be more in there. These are unconscious lies, I would guess. He doesn't realize he's lying. But if he is concerned enough to stop working with you, that is a very loud and very clear statement that Lies 1-3 above are clearly false statements. If it had nothing to do with your feelings about the organization, what else is going on you've not mentioned? If he loves you unconditionally, what reason is there for him to essentially threaten to speak to other employees about your personal beliefs? This is a violation of basic ethical behavior. It's not unreasonable that you refrain from discussing personal beliefs at work especially if they're divisive ones.

Well...it sounds like you're getting hit from all ends, man. How are you even functioning? I'd be furious. I hope you'll be okay. I really do.

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit