I feel like I'm prejudiced sometimes...

by cognac 23 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

And it makes me sick. I mean, I watch this big, black woman on YouTube sing with this incredible voice and all I think is sadness cause I feel like she abuses her kids. :(

That's so awful. Why is that my first instinct and how do I get rid of it??? I feel so ashamed... :(

Does anyone else get like that or am I just a terrible person???

• finally awake
    finally awake

Do you mean you thnk she abuses her kids because she is dragging them to the kingdom hall?

• cognac
    cognac

Omg, no, not at all. I don't know this woman from a whole in the wall. Guess this isn't really JW related, but don't have anyone else to talk to about it so I guess you guys are stuck, lol...

Society's fault for leaving me no friends to talk about this stuff with, lol...

• free2beme
    free2beme

I get it, and it is easy to do. But trust me, white trash meth heads are at the top of my peice of shit list. All others, equal to me.

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

This can end with you.

My American grandfather was very prejudiced against blacks - he would talk about how blacks "smelled" and he would hold his breath around them. I'm embarrassed to tell this, but it's true.

My Canadian family never agreed with him, but there was no arguing with him, it would have just led to fights and friction. I always viewed him as a product of his times. I just always hoped that his prejudice would die with him.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Cognac, I am a junior sociologist. I am intrigued why you feel this way.

Just Lois

• naazira
    naazira

june 1 watchtower cover topic was about prejudice. wink wink

• smiddy
    smiddy

You shouldnt post when you have been drinking cognac , I`m a whitey and I`m offended .

smiddy

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, all teasing aside, if you feel terrible about it, then you're not a terrible person. It's a learned attitude, you can change it. Just keep working on yourself, the way we all have to keep working on ourselves to change bad habits, wrong ideas, false beliefs.

Here's a song from 1949 sung by Mandy Patinkin that was remarkable for the time-- about prejudice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHKzn8aHyXg

• Mum
    Mum

Thanks for that great song, Hortensia.

Prejudice is a part of human experience. We have all had experiences and indoctrination that makes us prejudiced in one way or another. As a woman and as a physically challenged person, I have experienced prejudice. As a white Appalachian American, I have been taught prejudice. As Dr. Laura would say, "It's just a feeling." As long as you don't act on it, you're fine. Meanwhile, you can try to reprogram yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit