Did Anyone Apply To Go To Bethel, And Not Be Accepted?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

I went to the bethel meeting a DC once. I had a similar experience was feeking all fired up about how great bethel was. I thought I could be an artist for them. It was mothers dream to see my art in a publication.(pathetic place to see your art)

Anyway, they told me were not accepting applications from women. They were looking for brothers and married couples only. They told me to re-apply after I was married. I was totally crushed.

tt

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi Twinkle Toes, I am glad you and I didn't get invited. The only good I can see now, is that if I had gone, maybe I would have wised up sooner, left the Brooklyn Business Corp. earlier , and had a life of my own choosing.

But, yes, like you, I was crushed at the time.

On the side though, have you been able to continue with your art work? College, Art School, making a living at it?

I know one sister that painted a picture, and her CO thought it was good enough to grace the walls of Bethel. So she donated it. When I was visiting Beth-hell, I noted it. I don't think it was anything to brag about but she did. Good for her. I think many, many people had more talent than she did. I have always been curious, why her's made the grade. I really do not know.

Also Twinkle Toes, if you were an Artist, that does not mean they would have appreciated your talent and skill. You possibly would have ended up a laboring, unskilled, room and board...maid. Not much of a life for someone with an artistic bent.

Just Lois

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Hi Lois! 3rdgen here (forgot my password) In the mid 70's when I was married to my 1st husband there was a call for skilled workers to build at Patterson. (the farm) I convinced him that since he was a gen building contractor we should apply. Although he was a MS and we were Pios-sneers, We were turned down. The reason? "We have no room for sisters at this time." I was crushed. He was releaved. He was secretly leading a double life and he must have known it would be harder to pull off at Beth-Hell.

Hi 3rdGen...Long time no see. PM me if you have time.

Just Lois

I would like this topic to be pages long, filled with good people that were not accepted to go to Beth-hell so they can express how they feel now, about escaping the "voluntary" Prison, known in Watchtower Land as Beth-hell.

Just Lois

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

Ya, I am pretty happy that I was not eligable now. Although, I did get baptized with Bethel in mind and If I had known it was not an option I might not have gone through with the dunken.

I really was shocked, I couldn't believe they wouldn't want talented " people ", no matter what gender they were. Oh, to be a young niave virgin in a cult. I suppose somewhere down deep I was husband hunting. But why not, isn't that the goal, find a good bethel boy, go to Gilead, blah ,blah ,blah.

Anyway, Yes, I am still an artist. No College, No art school. I make some supplemental income with it, but....like most artists, I do it for me. It's true, most likely I would not have been allowed to have any choice in assignments.

I wouldn't have made it to long there, I ask to many questions.

tt

Thank you for posting Twinkle Toes. I am glad you have continued with your Art.

At 20, I just wanted to serve God in His House. I had already been through the mill, frontwards and backwards. I needed and wanted that spiritual oasis we are told about. Armageddon was coming soon and the Brothers in Beth-hell wouldn't lie to us, would they? I mean, they were the ones, telling us those lies.

I don't like liars. I cannot handle cruelty.

The Governing Body is cruel and they lie.

They will say and do anything to enjoy their daily maid service paid for by honest hearted little people.

Disgusting.

Just Lois

• hoser
    hoser

I looked at the application form one time. There were questions on there that I could never answer honestly and qualify for bethel.

• noonehome
    noonehome

I actually applied a just few months ago, after a letter was read saying there was a great need and to apply even if you weren't pioneering. Single brothers my age were needed and great encouragement was given to apply, even temporarily. I applied for a temporary stint because I figured it would be good for me...or something. Not really sure. I kind of wanted to go because I thought it might brainwash me and all my doubts would be buried and I'd be 'cured' as a JW. Then I could just do what's expected of me, fall in line, get married like everyone else, and live my life in haze of ignorance and false happiness. Sort of screwed up reasoning I know but I was tired of my life and figured I could make it as a 'good JW' if I had no choice (i.e. Bethel life.) I wasn't accepted due my hours being too low. Still tired of my life.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

A forty minute discussion with N. H. Knorr (long before most of you were born) convinced me that Bethel wasn't for me. I pioneered and 'traveled" instead. I probably should have gone. I would have opened my eyes decades sooner. I had very mixed feelings about Knorr. I watched him behave as a dictator and as a loving Christian. I'm not sure he knew which he really was. Franz, on the other hand, was always a fruitcake. The Watch Tower is well rid of him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit