calling all elders - what goes on at the week long elders school?

by not bitter 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

ApostateChick - yes they do. I was told of a case (from an elder who was there) of a couple who came to the elders to confess they had sex before they got married. They'd already confessed and yet this one creepy wee elder was asking the girl questions like 'how did you feel when he touched your breasts'

utterly ridiculous that that's allowed, disgraceful. There was absolutely no reason to ask questions of that sort. I personally feel that some do get off on it, that or enjoy putting people in positions to humiliate them.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    ApostateChick - "Do they also teach you to ask horrifying questions which involve women/girls and sexual acts? This has been a widespread practice, for years. Just curious if this is "elder" policy, or if this is something they do just to get themselves off? I was asked very personal, sexual things as a young girl in my JC with 3 elders I'd never met in my entire life... And heard firsthand from other girls and women who have been subjected to the same thing in several different congregations in all different locations of the US/Europe."

I think the custom was originally based on the assumption that if a young woman really likes the experience, she's likely to "reoffend".

They probably don't bother asking guys as much 'cause, well, we're already viewed as hopelessly irrepressable horndogs, so of course we'll have liked it and will "reoffend".

Of course, it's also extremely likely that - as you and many, many others have said - a significant number of these guys are just douchebags getting off on hot young girls describing their sexual encounters.

• earthfire
    earthfire

To me elders and cops have a lot in common. There are great people who really want to help and there are total chauvinistic, dominating a-holes aho want to hurt. I've seen plenty of each. But they all have one thing in common, they think they were put in that position by a righteous authority. But it's up to their true character of how they wield the badge and the bible.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

To me elders and cops have a lot in common. There are great people who really want to help and there are total chauvinistic, dominating a-holes aho want to hurt. I've seen plenty of each. But they all have one thing in common, they think they were put in that position by a righteous authority. But it's up to their true character of how they wield the badge and the bible.

Good point!

I still will not have any respect for elders . if your an elder right now and your on this board your a coward. So what if you have family members that are JWs you need to practice what you preached. Inform the congregation your an apostate. That how you show you true character.

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

if your an elder right now and your on this board your a coward. So what if you have family members that are JWs you need to practice what you preached. Inform the congregation your an apostate,

Then what Sarahsmile? We have to live with our families, not you!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

James Jackson -

So what if you have family members that are JWs you need to practice what you preached. Inform the congregation your an apostate,

Oooohhhh! That's a bit easier said than done.

I stepped down from being an elder. I left the WBT$ cold turkey. 2 years down the line my family is now torn apart. JWs in one house and apostates(TM) living in another. That's the price I paid. We're still not coping with it.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“… if your an elder right now and your on this board your a coward. So what if you have family members that are JWs you need to practice what you preached. Inform the congregation your an apostate. That how you show you true character.”

sarahsmile,

If there is an active elder on this forum and participating this moment, my hat’s off to the guy. He’s in a place where he can share his views in relative safety and get feedback from several perspectives, including yours. The same is true of any other individual who realizes they’re in the midst of a high-control group and wants or needs a place to share and learn, like this place.

It’s offensive to read and highly presumptive to suggest as you do of grown men trying to find their way and figure things out once learning of the infected cracks and gaps in Watchtower theology, corporate policy and morality.

To date not a single person, including you, has articulated a sound reason why anyone should play according to Watchtower’s rulebook by confessing “apostasy.” If someone chooses to do that then fine. But suggesting it’s as a necessity to avoid cowardice is, frankly, disgusting to read.

My suspicion is you respond as you do because of personal injury. That’s understandable. But it does not justify the vilification of others whose crime is coming to a place where they can share themselves and get feedback.

Marvin Shilmer

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Punkofnice sorry to hear about what you are going through. At one time and I am sure you also did think being a elder was righteous thing to do. But as you wake up you are faced with very difficult problems. Should I say something? Do I keep my mouth shut? What about my family? My close friends? What will others think about me? On and on the questions that come up. We all have to do what's best for us. Leaving a cult is a very hard thing to do. If you was a elder, ms or pioneer it makes it even harder. As a born-in it was all I knew and to break down those walls of cult thinking takes alot of time to do. When it comes to family will I think all of us in one way or another are paying the price of leaving this cult. You all argue about how bad elders are or not, yet you forget all of us who has or are still in this cult are victims of a concept. Yes many elders are on a power trip and many was truly there to help. What ever you believe is the case all of us are still suffering from the cult teachings. Totally ADD

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Totally ADD - Thanks. It's been a hell of a year for us. Thanks to the GB and their incessant lies and vile hate speech. I hope one day they suffer like we have too.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

As much I don't much like elders, I'd still say they have good intentions with what they're doing and genuinely believe they're doing the right thing. I guess there are no particular surprises to me, hearing about what is said at 'elders' school'.

I happen to think that alot of what was promoted at the more recent Elder Schools (I'm going back 10+ years since I attended) is that they are Divinely Directed by Holy Spirit and makes many of them get the "big head" and lose their humility. They merely "convey" the decisions that have already been made "in heaven". Many of them get to where they REALLY BELIEVE IT! THEY SPEAK FOR GOD!

It's been along time since I heard any serious amout of time spent on "aiding/shepherding the flock" vs. keeping everyone in line and keeping the Cong clean.

I thought the Book(Bible)Study this week (Jeremiah Book) should have hit many Elders squarely between the eyes.

A poster above compared them with police. Good analogy IMO. No more Sheriff Andy of Mayberry (Andy Griffith) mentality. It's RoboCop/Keystone Cops.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit