calling all elders - what goes on at the week long elders school?

by not bitter 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• not bitter
    not bitter

My Dad is currently attending a week long elders school. Dad is in his 70's and not in great health at the moment so this is adding to my anger that he is having to leave the house at 7am and doesn't return until 6pm and then has to lock himself away to study further in preparation for the next day.

He has also been told he is not to discuss anything about the school with other elders until they have all attended.

So I'd like to know what they do there. What are they learning about that isnt' already out there for all to read anyway.

They can't be learning more bible stuff as the bible is there to be read by the general public so I can only assume that its all top secret stuff that the rest of the congregation can't know about.

But a whole week? Why so long? I know he had to print lots of info off JW.org to take with him. He even bought a new printer for this! That pissed me off too.

So please can some elders respond. Thanks

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Never went to a week long session. A 2 dayer yes.

It's just demonstrations. Lectures. How to hound. Guilt, fear and phobia inducing WBT$ garbage.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Went last year. To be completely honest it wasnt a total waste of time. I know that sounds wierd but the main instructor was good at applying bible principles and he really wasn't doing a Watchtower comercial the whole time. Maybe he's a closet apostate...who knows.

That being said, the other instructor, was a total company man. Boring, do more, preach more, follow the slave, and then take care of your family. Oh and if you dont take care of your family we will delete you and you will be a leper in your congregation.

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

They go over your responsibilities as an Elder. You go through points in the Elder Manuel and OD book. Then they go over each Elder's position like the COBE, Secretary, Service Overseer and the rest so that if something should happen at these positions, another brother would be able to take over with little interuption. They will cover a day of "Proper Sheperding of the Flock", using various scenarios and scenes. Then a day on how to Judge, Handle,and deal with Judicial cases. Support the Traveling represenatives, never speak of them in negative terms. There is alot to cover it can be endless. In the end, you walk away feeling "not worthy", realizing, you got alot to work on.

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

I remember at one school we were going over the Watchtower and Bible Study Conductor role. One brother said: "I like to do extra research and tell the friends about". Our instructor said: "So you are telling me that the Governing Body didn't do a good enough job on the article". There was complete silence. Then the instructor followed up by saying: " Just ask the questions, you are not a player, you are the Conductor".

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Went to a two week one back in the late seventies. They clearly said at the start that there is nothing that is not already in print in the lit. We were lucky to have a really gifted instructor . Any other Brits remember David Gibson?

It was all regular stuff, congregation responsibilities, handling "problems", elder's setting the example and some Bible topics too (back then anyway) spiced up with Bro Gibson's anecdotes and little jokes.

I do not get this "do not tell anybody " stance. It means that anything useful is never shared, least of all with the congo. even if it would benefit everybody. BTW The long ones nowadays do not seem to be attended 100% , not around here, from what I see.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Wasn't there something about a video on JCs and DFing at the recent School?

Doc

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

In addition to what James Jackson said, we also went over some very interesting things about the name Jehovah in the NWT... most of what you can read for yourself in the forward and the Appendix 1D in the large Reference Bible. Also, we went over "Jehovah" and "Sovereignty" in the Insight book.

Oh, and we went over Gen 3:1-5 about how Satan didn't entirely lie to Eve. For example:

vs 5: "For God knows that in the very day of YOUR eating from it YOUR eyes are bound to be opened and YOU are bound to be like God, KNOWING good and bad."

vs 22: "And Jehovah God went on to say: “Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad, and now in order that he may not put his hand out and actually take [fruit] also from the tree of life and eat and live to time indefinite,—"

Judicial committees were discussed, but there was another more recent two-day school that dealt with DFings much more in detail.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

The one I went to last year did not go too deep into roles of each elder, judicial procedures, etc. It was different, dare I say it, more bible educative....

• ApostateChick
    ApostateChick
    leaving_quietly - Judicial committees were discussed, but there was another more recent two-day school that dealt with DFings much more in detail.

^^ Do they also teach you to ask horrifying questions which involve women/girls and sexual acts? This has been a widespread practice, for years. Just curious if this is "elder" policy, or if this is something they do just to get themselves off? I was asked very personal, sexual things as a young girl in my JC with 3 elders I'd never met in my entire life... And heard firsthand from other girls and women who have been subjected to the same thing in several different congregations in all different locations of the US/Europe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit