calling all elders - what goes on at the week long elders school?

by not bitter 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• SeventhSojourn
    SeventhSojourn

goodsoul - "From the other side- who mostly become an elders in WTS? people who like to control others."

Totally disagree. That comment just shows how you are trying to influence control of how others view current and former elders. In fact, if you were an elder, it may reveal the reason why YOU became one.

SeventhSojourn

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I remember at one school we were going over the Watchtower and Bible Study Conductor role. One brother said: "I like to do extra research and tell the friends about". Our instructor said: "So you are telling me that the Governing Body didn't do a good enough job on the article". There was complete silence. Then the instructor followed up by saying: " Just ask the questions, you are not a player, you are the Conductor".

This is a fatal flaw, and why someone in the organization will never be more spiritual, moral or scholarly than David Splane or Stephen Lett.

Watchtower Jehovah's Witnesses Governing Body publishes false prophecies Stephen Lett false prophet

• goodsoul
    goodsoul

Totally disagree. That comment just shows how you are trying to influence control of how others view current and former elders. In fact, if you were an elder, it may reveal the reason why YOU beacame one.

SeventhSojourn

Do you care, how others ex-JW will view current JW elders? Or, how they view former elders? Is it nostalgie?

Everyone in WTS is brainwashed, and elders( me as well in the past) are brainwashed twice, since they(me) were dare to ask mentioned embarrasing personal questions people, who will remember this shame all their life..

And yes- it all was done in the Holy name of the Loooord!

• SeventhSojourn
    SeventhSojourn

goodsoul -"Do you care, how others ex-JW will view current JW elders? Or, how they view former elders?"

Yes. I care about more than just what I think. Many current and former elders are here now, on this forum. You are presuming to know their motives for accepting that position and painting them all with a broad brush. How many of them have you interviewed to obtain this special insight? How many of their stories have you read to uniquely qualify you as authority as to their purpose and motives? How much do you know of ApostateChick's situation to conclude she "had some really perverted elders" on her case?

"Is it nostalgie?"

No. Nostalgia has to do with the past. Tell me. If you and I were sitting face-to-face at a table in a room full of jw's and x-jw's of mixed levels of past and current status (pubs, pioneers, min servants, elder, whatever) and I said to you in a loud voice: "Oh, you were an ______? Another ______ huh? You're all the same. All you want is __________ and the WTS was/is your ticket to have it." How would that land?

How about: "Oh, you were an elder? Another control freak huh? You're all the same. All you want is control over people and the WTS was or is you ticket to have it." - Excuse me? Look, I'm not proud or comfortable with what was required of me as an elder. Lots of things I wish now I never did. But to say that me and "most" other elders served or are serving for purely selfish reasons to have control over others? Although you have the right to think it and say it, you are 100% wrong.

SeventhSojourn

• goodsoul
    goodsoul

Control doesn't necessary should be literal. It could be emotional. And it doesn't imply selfish motives.
    That what elders are doing. That what they HAVE to do and they WILL do it, otherwise their qualification will be reviewed.
    If you don't realize that you controlled others- you were tricked by WTS. They used you, as they used everyone..me as well.

Oh, you were an elder? Another control freak huh? You're all the same. All you want is control over people and the WTS was or is you ticket to have it.

I would agree with you.. It is all freak show.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

In my 50 yrs as a JW I've known 100s of elders. A high percentage were

Unqualified

Unschooled

Untrained

Unaccredtied

Unskilled

Uncouth

Unhumble

They were skilled at faking it . Especially humility .

• sd-7
    sd-7

As much I don't much like elders, I'd still say they have good intentions with what they're doing and genuinely believe they're doing the right thing. I guess there are no particular surprises to me, hearing about what is said at 'elders' school'. I mean, the literature kind of lays out ideas from time to time that are clearly aimed at elders and how they should approach things.

Still, an interesting thread. Hmm.

--sd-7

• SadElder
    SadElder

Missed the one week course they're offering now. From all reports it's more of the same.

Just for kicks I pulled my copy of the 1972 Kingdom Ministry School course that hasn't been opened in years. This was a two week thing that ran all day 9-4:30 M-F and 9-Noon on Saturday. The first one I attended was taught by Bruce Giffin, a pompous DO who took delight in putting down the brothers in attendance. Looking back over the curriculum I see that it wasn't much different than the two day schools I've attended in the past. Do more, you better do this, and so on.

Glad I'm done with all that drivel.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

One school we had in the 1990's they literally read the organization book to us,, word for word. I thought "I could have done this at home, even though I had already done it.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

"determine things like the context, nature, and degree of any acts under investigation. The point being that if you can't effectively isolate(bull ) and identify the actual problem and it's associated behaviors(bull) you can't address the issue and help the person properly "

That is a load of garbage! Perhaps WTBTS should had paid elders way to a one time forensics class. How about investigation and questioning? Investigation only want fact to the case. It is not about helping a sinner.

Elders are NEVER about helping people.

How could you bibically help many who confess sins? Confession of sin should never be a CASE for disfellowshipping but a cry for help!

How could any elder place WTBTS over the Bibles truth?

It is obvious from the majority of elders reply that helping others is not part of elders school.

Your father has been part of this good old boy club for years it is his way of socializing.

I would suggest to take him to a seniors gathering.

Hopefully, he will enjoy fellowship. Most cities have them.

Be apart of his activities. Take him to senior dances and lunches.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit