Is the Universe Conscious?

by still thinking 140 Replies latest jw friends

• mind blown
    mind blown

oooo I'd love to post more but @ the moment.....I only have time for hit and run posts..... love the thread though.....

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Great video. I will watch it again later. Makes me think, "is this life really that significant?" I have also been rethinking god and life lately. everything seems to come together a little too perfectly. I dont know what to think anymore. I just read, research and do my best to understand. Thanks again for the post.

Maybe we're all cells in a giant brain.

We die and are replaced like cells in our own body....simon

I've pondered this as well in the past.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Glad you enjoyed it dazed.

is this life really that significant

Absolutely it is! It is our reality. That I think makes it VERY significant. It is as significant as anything else in the universe.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I look forward to hearing more from you mindblown

• T D Joseph
    T D Joseph

Every one has consciousness. Though my consciousness is different from yours, my consciousness is a consciousness like yours. It is meant to just exist, experience and to express, yet not meant to know how it came into existence! Consciousness is the mother of all mysteries. And it will continue to be so!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I kind of agree with Terry on this one. Ludwig Wittgenstein probably would too. It's just aggrandised words, and you've got to have precision in definitions. I mean, what on earth does the following, inter alia, really mean? It's basically just a form of pseudo profundity:

"At the core basis of the universe is a single universal field of intelligence."

• still thinking
    still thinking

Did you watch the video Yadda?

I am not familier with Ludwig Wittgenstein...so I googled. I'm putting the link here for me to come back to tomorrow. Off to bed now. Thanks for your thoughts yadda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Wittgenstein

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Pseudo-science. The notion that because the universe is really big, that it is also 'conscious' has no reasonable basis. Of course it's true that we only really observe a very small portion of what could actually be called reality, but that doesn't automatically imbue the unseen things with intelligence, consciousness, or purpose. 'Consciousness' is great in that it's useful for organisms that happen to possess it, but it's supremely arrogant to imagine that because humans have that faculty, that consciousness is therefore implicitly present everywhere in the universe. 'Consciousness' (as well as the 'subconscious') exists as a result of certain chemical reactions, and the processes are orders of magnitude away from string theory. String theory and quantum physics are very interesting and very complex, but 'thought' is about neurochemistry, not string theory.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I just had a quick look at that wiki page...I think I'm going to enjoy reading about Ludwig Wittgenstein.

Wittgenstein's ladder

"My propositions serve as elucidations in the following way: anyone who understands me eventually recognizes them as nonsensical, when he has used them—as steps—to climb beyond them. He must, so to speak, throw away the ladder after he has climbed up it."

• still thinking
    still thinking

The notion that because the universe is really big

Ah...I see what you are saying. But...that is not the theory at all. This theory is that it all originated from something so small. Everything was once one small 'thing'. That is the connection. We can consider ourselves seperate...or different to the rest of the universe (ie. only we have some form of thought or conciousness). But how can that be...if we are only one tiny little product OF it.

This is not looking at the really big...it is looking at the really small. AND it is simply an IDEA based on science.

but it's supremely arrogant to imagine that because humans have that faculty, that consciousness is therefore implicitly present everywhere in the universe.

It seems more arrogant to me to believe that we are so special that only we posses this thing we call consciousness. Why could it not exist everwhere in one form or another? What are the chances that humans, in this vast universe developed this independently from the universe itself, the universe we are part of?

Isn't to assume one, just as arrongant as to assume the other?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit