Former Long Time Elder - Judicial Committees

by James Jackson 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

When I first was appointed as an Elder, I could not wait to be on a Judicial Committee. It semed like most Hearings invovled Middle Age men and women cheating on their mates because either they had married early or felt that were being neglected by their mate. Most times I felt I need to take a long hot shower after a Hearing.

The toughest part was seeing these sweet young children grow up in "The Truth", and now you are about to Judge their future based on their Repentance. Many did not fully understand what it means to Repent(Insight vol #2 p.772). It was hard on me and other Elders because you "have to keep the Congregation clean" and not allow wronging to go unpunished, and thus they were Disfellowshipped. I have seen Elders openly cry, myself included, because we had to make the "Right Decision". Then at times, you have to talk to thier parents and other relatives about their association with a DF person. I have seen Committees DF or Reproved parents for not obeying the command to "Quit mixing in company...1 Cor.5:9" for keeping a relationship with their child. I hate to admitt it, I was on board with the B O E, "drinking the koolaid". Since my deletion over my son's DFing, I feel like Paul in this weeks Bible reading, the "scales" have fallen off my eyes.

In the Bible, we are reminded that when those were Baptized, it was Men and Women. Yet, we encourage Teenagers, even Preteens to get Baptized. Here in the US, you have to be 21 to buy a beer. But we are encouraging our young ones to take the most important step, decision in their lives at a young age! And if they do not get Baptised by a certain age, there is "something wrong with him or his parents".

We have a another former Elder (well qualified I might ad) in our Hall and I asked the COBE why is he not serving, his reply; "His child is not Baptized".

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

My heart goes out to you. Im in the same boat. I have just flatly refused to df anyone since i learned the truth about the truth. I encourage peoplemto associate with their kids, df or not. Its the stupidest and lowest form of cult behaviour and its hurts everyone, the from the victiums to the perpetrators.

• minimus
    minimus

I disfellowshipped too many people. It's true , once the scales fall off, you can never go back.

• designs
    designs

With so little training what in the world were we doing sitting in judgement of others.

• cantleave
    cantleave

This is why I still can't understand how anyone can stay an elder once they have awakened. I wanted out as soon as I could, the idea of sitting on another JC knowing what I knew was too much to comprehend.

• flipper
    flipper

JAMES- I know it's had to have been a rough road for you to do things against your conscience. Congratulations on the scales falling from your eyes. We are here as a support to you. Take care and welcome to the board. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Comatose
    Comatose

Disfellowshipping repentant wrong doers because it was a repeat a previous offense is what bothers me. I've had elders say they know she was sorry but it was a repeat of a previous offense so it can't be repentance according to the elders book and jah. Ugg.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I only DF'd someone once. It was well deserved. Still, I felt uncomfortable with having that kind of power in my hands. I stepped down out of my own initiative, and nowadays, one of the reasons I don't want to ever serve as an Elder is precisely because I don't want to judge someone based on what I know to be false doctrinal points.

Eden

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

How could anyone stay in and actually know the TATT Eden? You remind me of those that are always studying and never able to come to an accurate knowledge of TTAT, or maybee you are are just a coward. I felt it "that was justified" to bring this up.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i stopped a vulnerable young girl from being disfellowshipped. she had a horrible upbringing including being abused and then abandoned by a knife wielding mother - and she had just been ditched a few weeks before her wedding. her crime was to steal some money from her grandparents in a momentary lapse of reason. the other 2 elders wanted to df her on the grounds that they did not like her father. usually 2 against 1 would be enough to df but i managed to convince them that this was too harsh ..and common sense prevailed - at the time i felt it was the holy spirit working thru me.

a few years later...i was involved in a judicial comittee dealing with a repentant genuinely sorry mentally drained hospitilised person who it took 2 minutes to df...i know cos it was me df-ed this time..where was the holy spirit there...

beginning of the end

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit