Any fallout from the "human apostates" convention talk yet?

by cedars 34 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi folks

I'm just curious as to whether anyone is experiencing any repercussions following the "human apostates" talk on the Saturday of the District Convention?

My relatives will be attending soon, which makes me anxious. Though they don't think of me as a full-blown apostate they clearly have me in the "at risk" category, and it's me they'll doubtless be thinking of as they listen to the venom-filled talk.

I would be interested to know what effect this is having on those who have made clear their feelings against the organization who still have family members inside.

Cedars

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hey Cedars, I just wrote on JWsurvey to the effect that you should go to the media with this hate talk.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Julia. You make a great suggestion. Unfortunately, the media is very selective with what they pick up and run with - especially when it comes to religious matters. They would rather report on the new name of Kim Kardashian's baby than write about hateful rhetoric from a little-understood religious group. It just doesn't sell newspapers. The only reason they touched the "mentally diseased" story was because there was a whiff of police involvement thanks to Amelia Ashton. Sadly, even though this is clearly hate speech, it's hard to get it the attention it deserves without some form of scandal to give the story the forward momentum it needs. It's precisely this kind of apathy on the part of the media that allows Watchtower to thrive. They know that they can say whatever the hell they like and get away with it.

Cedars

• alanv
    alanv

Hi Cedars I wrote somewhere recently that my JW son and his wife have moved out of the house I rent them and moved into private renting where they are paying 75% more rent. Has a lot to do with not having to rely on me to provide them with housing. It started when I tried to talk to them about the July 2013 new light Watchtower. After they here the talk they will be convinced they did the right thing moving out lol

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

What about contacting Anderson Cooper, he doesn't seem to be afraid to touch questionable topics and Katie Couric has put on her shows pologmy. They both have done some hard hitting pieces. Another reporter that has been doing controversial subjects in Lisa Ling on American Now on Oprah's network. Just a thought. I would love to see the news do a story on this religion. The blood issue, shunning and losing your family, control, no college education for most, young marriages, the lies and pedofile. They could easily do an hour show on this religion and the destruction.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes, Anderson Cooper covered the FLDS with ex member Carolyn Jessop and current members being interviewed together via live hookup. But could cedars contact and get an American to go with his story when he's in England? So you Americans will need to do this. As for Australia...well, our media is like what you describe Cedars, except of course for SBS who deal with huge issues. It's just too small for them.

• stillin
    stillin

I'm willing to stick my neck out and predict heightened paranoia regarding apostates. If that's possible. Speculations, conjecture or even a well thought out comment will cause suspicion and über dubs will have private, hushed conversations about any in the congregation who may be actually thinking.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Gosh, just like under Stalin. You could get ten years' forced labour for cracking a joke about the leaders.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Anderson Cooper was my first thought too. Someone could discuss the hate speech against those who leave as well as against gays.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The hate-speech of the " Apostate " talk can also be used to silence ignorant Elders. They were so hateful and so specific as to what " Apostates " were, that they simply cannot honestly call 99% of people "apostates." I told a few JW's that after listening to the talk, I realized how serious it would be to falsely charge someone with apostasy. Each and every defining characteristic of an apostate would need to be present. One trait mentioned was " insincerity." That is very difficult to prove.

When it comes down to it, the Elders are corporate yes-men. They don't have any real center, except to follow the Shepherd book's instructions. If you make them review the WTBTS's current definition of " truth " according to the DC, and then ask them to explain how you fit the criteria of a Satanic helper, just for having different views regarding nu-light, that is admittedly and idea of men, they can't do it. They will have to leave you alone, or show their true colors. Most are cowardly and not used to reasoning or being stood up to.

Unless you say , " I don't believe that the WTBT$ is Jehovah's (tm) Organization", they can't really do anything. The worst that can happen is that you won't get to run a microphone, and really, who cares?

I agree that all the DC hate speech should be sent to the media, maybe transcripts of the Conti case as well. If just one person in the right place cared...who knows?? There needs to be a concerted effort to send any and all WTBTS scandals to the media. Every bit of information is like a grain of sand slowly tipping the scales..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit