Antineoplastons - Gene - targeted Cancer medicines. Dr Burzynski MD PhD

by *lost* 44 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

when people cut and paste a load of nonsense "they came across" and describe it as "interesting" it always raises a red flag

sunlight is a great disinfectant

*lost* - noted.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Simon, we all have personal motives, thats how animals survive. But what is good for the individual is good for the group and likewise what is good for the group is good for the individual.

Capitalism is an engine i have no love for but I can't deny its power in innovation. If drug companies become rich curing cancer, I don't give a crap.... They cured cancer!

I am no fan of big pharma and I know the water is muddier than the simplistic 'humans are great!'. But I am talking about the Gaussian curve here, there will always be a few bell ends....

wow that may be the best joke I ever utter.......

lost, I really enjoyed paediatrics, I have a naieve excitement for emergency medicine and I have an inevitable urge to become a g.p that I am constantly battling to deny. All those sore throats and bad stomachs....... i do love the wards......But I think a gp life may be for me. We will see. I still have 3 more exams periods to go yet, in the next 12 months of my medical degree.. I may still end up in a local supermarket, cleaning up on lane three. Medicine has no mercy, it will boot you out for failing by one percent in a heartbeat, even 6 years in.

• cofty
    cofty

...and its a bonus that not everybody will get it.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Cancer fields are full of false hope and hucksters looking to rip you off of your cash. Jim Carrey in "Man on the Moon" laughing at the Filipino Psychic Doctor who pulled out the fake tumor or mass, remember the look of amusement on his face while starting to get tears in his eyes.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

*lost* may well be interested in Psychic Surgery too, there's plenty of charlatans out there wanting to part the desperate and the gullible from their money and gather cult following around themselves.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Marvin

Simon -

Betsy - I'm confused, sorry, think I have a form of autism as I don't automatically 'get' things the way most people do.

The copy and pasting comment, I don't automatically copy and paste, it is a pet hate of mine, I personally see it as a from of laziness,

anyone can copy and paste information (off 'wiki' which I do see happens a lot) without even reading or looking mentally acknowledging what they are relaying.

I believe the most important thing we can do as people, no matter what our culture, personal faith, level of intellect, education, beliefs etc .

is to cultivate thinking processes, which is why I highly value discussion. Which is why i believe education, science and knowledge are so important, breaking down barriers, busting myths, de-constructing belief systems and replacing with facts.

The value of this site, for me, is the ability for people to be able to ask questions and discuss any subject. It is an educational tool, and should be valued.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Snare - thanks for response.

Would you not be concerned that the 'system' would grind you down and stifle you, kill your passion ?

This Burzynski guy, he's and MD and PhD and researcher, how can he be a fraud ? He is supposed to be someone the people can trust.

Hippocratic oath and all that.

That is a very confusing, conflicting thing. understand what I mean. Is he just from a different camp ?

Does any of his research etc merit any facts, consideration ?

• talesin
    talesin

It has been said that ignorance is bliss, but I don't believe it. Here's a reality check.

Navigating the Health Care System

Can We Trust the Evidence in Evidence-Based Medicine?

URL: http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/book/excerpt.asp?id=51

[bold, italics, and underlining are mine]

What few people realize is that medical research has undergone a quiet but radical transformation. Before 1970, the vast majority of clinical research was funded by government sources. 4 By 2009, 85 percent of clinical trials were commercially funded. 5 In 1991, 70 percent of clinical research was commercially funded, but about 80 percent of this research was still being done in universities, where academic checks and balances supported the independence of researchers. By 2004, however, only 26 percent of this research was conducted in academic medical centers. The rest was conducted by for-profit research companies, a trend that continues today. 6

Two studies published in 2003, one in the Journal of the American Medical Association ( JAMA ) and the other in the British Medical Journal , found that commercially funded studies were 3.6 to 4 times more likely than noncommercially funded studies to show positive results for the sponsor’s product. 7 Another JAMA study that looked only at highest quality studies found even stronger bias: The odds that commercially funded research found the sponsor’s product the treatment of choice were 5.3 times greater than for studies funded by nonprofits. 8 And yet another study found that when clinical studies are commercially funded and authors have financial ties to the sponsor (sometimes as paid speakers or consultants), the odds are 8.4 times higher that the results of the study will support use of the sponsor’s drug. 9

Another problem with commercially funded studies is that the articles published are sometimes “ghostwritten” by companies hired by pharmaceutical companies. In 2010, thousands of court documents stemming from a civil lawsuit over the safety of hormone therapy (HT) were made public. Analysis of these documents revealed that Wyeth pharmaceutical company, maker of the popular hormone drugs Premarin and Prempro, paid ghostwriters to produce twenty-six scientific papers promoting the benefits and downplaying the risks of HT and then found academic physicians willing to put their names on them and submit them to peer-reviewed journals. 10

Unfortunately, the agencies we count on to protect the interests of health consumers are increasingly compromised. More than half of the funding for the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, the division of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration that approves new drugs and oversees drug safety, comes from user fees paid by drug companies. Medical journals, trusted to evaluate articles independently, themselves depend on money from pharmaceutical advertising and from selling reprints of commercially favorable published articles to corporate sponsors, whose drug reps then distribute them to physicians. So-called expert committees that produce the clinical practice guidelines that inform and direct health care professionals are often dominated by researchers with active financial ties to one or more companies that make the drugs under consideration. And about 70 percent of continuing medical education courses for doctors are paid for by drug companies and other medical industries. Since doctors must participate in continuing medical education to maintain their medical licenses, it becomes increasingly difficult to avoid exposure to industry-sponsored messages.

The fundamental reason that companies create and distribute this information is to fulfill their primary fiduciary responsibilities to their shareholders and investors. Increasing product sales increases corporate bottom lines. Our health is relegated, at best, to a secondary consideration.

It's all about the bottom line, people. I know that the idea that some doctors and virtually all corporations care more about making money than healing the sick, is shocking and abhorrent to most of us, but that is the reality.

tal

Oh, and you may (or may not) wonder at my skepticism. My GP of more than 20 years is the one who opened my eyes. He also said that doctors receive trips, gifts and other pircs, in order to be swayed into prescribing certain meds. Of course, these resort vacations are supposed to be "Learning Seminars", etc. It is all set up very cleverly so that the doctors are not compromising their 'ethics' and appearing to be bribed. After all, an 'informational seminar' is professional, right? Never mind that it's held in a luxury resort, and everyone takes home a bag of swag.

• talesin
    talesin

*lost*

Don't ask a medical student - do your own research. Go to the library at a medical school. If there's not one in your area, ask the local library for help. Their research people should be happy to help you find relevant information, and intra-library loans are quite common nowadays.

Most medical schools are heavily tied into Big Pharma because they rely on that funding for research. For example, medical students are still taught that the male body is the norm, and the female body is an aberration ......... yeah, I was shocked by that, too, when the guy I was dating told me that. REALLY! ugh

Blind trust, whether it's in a religion, or pharmaceutical corporations, or even doctors, is not the way to go. Skepticism is necessary in all fields.

xo

tal

• *lost*
    *lost*

Tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit