What to say to JWs at a funeral

by dogon 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dogon
    dogon
    My father passed away this week. We are going to have a funeral for him. He was not a Witness for many years but a lot of his family is still associated. I was wondering what I should do in preparation if I get the whole he has the hope of the resurrection. I don't really want to start a thing at a wake. I was hoping I could get some ideas on how to prepare for this so I just don't cause a thing.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I'd just say thank you. Like you say, it's probably the wrong time to make a thing of it...just acknowledge their intent - to be comforting - and move on.
  • brandnew
    brandnew

FIRST AND FOREMOST; im so sorry for your loss.

I personally stay pretty quiet a funerals....thats just my way..

So sorry.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Sorry about losing your Dad
  • stillin
    stillin

I hope things weren't too rough for him. You only get one dad.

I would brace up for the "quickie witness" that some are likely to try to leave you to think about. In my own case, my responses would probably be along the lines of, "well, nobody really knows for sure. It's all wait-and-see. Dad was a good man and I hope there's a reward for that, but, you know, sometimes virtue is its' own reward. Just knowing that you did your best. Etc etc."

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My Father wasn't a JW when he passed away but was associated for years.

You might hear:

===========================================================

We look forward to seeing your Dad again soon, he'll surely be in the resurrection.

Make sure you are there to welcome him back.

That's very kind of you to say...if there are indeed good things in store for mankind in the future, I see no reason why both Dad and I won't be a part of it as well.

=====================================

Are you planning to return to Jehovah?

Will we be seeing you at the meetings again soon?

The end is so close....we can't take any chances and miss out on everlasting life.

I appreciate your concern and I'm sure you'll understand why I might not want to answer that question just now.

• Splash
    Splash
    Thoughts are with you and your family dogon. Sorry for your sad news.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    No matter the comment, you can say "Thank you for your concern." If you like what they say, "It means a lot to me."

Sorry to read of your loss.
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Sorry you lost your dad.

I've thought about this many times myself. I imagine myself being uninterested in holding back. I imagine telling them it's rude to preach and they need to move away from me immediately.

When people preach to you, they are the ones being rude--especially at a wake. For Pete's sake, do these people have a clue about how to be polite? (rhetorical question)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I was wondering what I should do in preparation if I get the whole he has the hope of the resurrection.....
    dogon
    He`s got as much Chance of a Resurrection..
    As every other JW that`s Been Resurrected..
    ....................................Image result for tombstone bye

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit