I called Patterson today.

by Mulan 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Wow Mulan!!! You know, I THOUGHT I heard thunder off in the distance today.
    Regardless of what happens because of the phone call, you did the right thing and you have everyone's respect for that.
    Enjoy the time you have with your mom while you can, don't let the org ruin it for you.

Mike.

whatever...

• Celia
    Celia

Mulan, you really sound like a wonderful lady -
    Maybe this is out of line, but I couldn't help but think that some of the elders or other people in the cong. , besides not wanting to be confronted with you "bad apostates" , also would rather see your Mom alone and maybe influence her, concerning leaving all she owns to the Society or the Cong. ???
    I hope I am just fantasizing here

• Dino
    Dino

Hi Mulan and thank you for sharing this.

When serving as an elder I called both the legal and service desk many times. Even after confirming who you were by name, congregation number, and position held within, they will NOT reveal their identity.

I remember the need to call the legal desk in connection with an issue several times. After I told them who I was they would put the appropriate brother on the line. As a side note, I always made sure that I had another elder listening in on the conversation.

One thing that ALWAYS struck me in dealing with brothers on those desks. While they were polite and cordial, they were objective (read cold-blooded), first and foremost. In other words his terrier-like loyalty is to the organization FIRST.

Proceed carefully. You expressed to him that you have specific issues with the organization and discussed them on one hand. The question regarding the organization/God was a LOADED one. Sadly, it was one I was trained to ask on certain occasions.

If push comes to shove, I would certainly threaten a media brouhaha with the local elders.

I am saddened that you are having to undergo this added pressure.
    Thanks again and keep us posted.

Dino

• Mulan
    Mulan

Celia.........thanks for the thought, but Mom is pretty poor. All she has is a small Social Security check each month. After she and my Dad were divorced, in 1969, she had about $250,000. She had a great time spending it. 1975 was coming. She has deep regrets now, for sure.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Mulan,

We're reading this thread with much interest - Mrs Ozzie and I send our sympathies @ this time. (((((Mulan and David)))))

If I could comment on one aspect, I would not trust the man with whom you spoke to keep it to himself. All calls are logged for a start. I'm not qualified to speak of the situation there but over here I know that Service Dept would contact the P.O. of the local congo. with instructions. I agree with Dino's comment:

One thing that ALWAYS struck me in dealing with brothers on those desks. While they were polite and cordial, they were objective (read cold-blooded), first and foremost. In other words his terrier-like loyalty is to the organization FIRST.

Proceed carefully. You expressed to him that you have specific issues with the organization and discussed them on one hand. The question regarding the organization/God was a LOADED one. Sadly, it was one I was trained to ask on certain occasions.

Incidentally, isn't it strange how "in the world" we can be so trusting of others, yet when it comes to the WTS.....well, 'let the buyer beware'.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Amazing
    Amazing

Sorry to hear that the Elders are giving you trouble on this. I hope you get this settled with them. You may want to have a lawyer handy just in case.

In a nearly reverse situation, when my non-JW dad needed care, I took him in ... and the Elders (even though I was an Elder at the time) talked to me about putting my dad in a nursing home. They 'worried' about his bad 'worldly' influence, though he was 84 years old at the time. Eventually, about 6 months before he died, I did place him in a nursing home. But, I always felt that their counsel to me was wrong.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• anewperson
    anewperson

Mulan, Alan is 100% correct. If they give you a bit of trouble take it to the media and the public. Hey, any of you pro-Watchtower Trolls on this board, listen up! Run to your masters real quick about this. They will tell the local yokels to back off or Big Mama's got even more problems. Beating up on senior citizens is as bad as abetting the child rape!

• anewlife
    anewlife

I'm new here, but have read several of your postings elsewhere and have seen the strength you have, but this was really something...so much I had to write!

I, too, thought your "come back" about the sins of David and the fact that he was not disfellowshipped was an EXCELLENT point!! I applaud you for standing up for your mom and taking care of her just as she once did for you!

• Mulan
    Mulan

Thank you everyone. You are all so supportive.

I just got off the phone with the PO, and he was tripping all over his tongue, with what I told him the brother at the service desk said. He said he would take care of this and be sure the appropriate people were talked to. He also said he would like to talk to us soon. I said "sure" but my husband said I had to KEEP QUIET, if we meet with him. Hmmmmm. I wonder why?

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• teejay
    teejay

It’s been a while since I cracked open a bible, but I seem to recall a verse or two that says that one should “honor their mother and father.” In the time of Moses, it was a commandment, if memory serves.

What happened? Is the Society amending the bible now?

Wow. I'm scared of them!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit