God will forgive me....apparently

by punkofnice 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• humbled
    humbled

How would god have anything but love for persons that persist in doing good without faith in a loving god? To have no hope of help in doing right --is more than I can do. When I am overwhelmed I ask for god's help.

My children, who are adults, and my husband run the gamut from agnostics to atheist. It is not possible that they are condemned for a lack of belief. My years as a JW certainly were no help as a model for relating to God--It nearly poisoned my own faith out of existence.

I enjoy your spirit, punkofnice. I think you should forgive god his tresspasses as he forgives yours ;-)

Maeve

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I believe that God many times is busy with other things in his vast universe. It's not all about us earhtlings.

Isn't it amazing that us humans, have such little expectactions and such low standards for the Allmighty, All-powerful creator of the universe?

Anything is excusable. If God seemingly helps you, he loves you. If he does not help you, he also loves you because perhaps he has something better.

Starvation, cancer, crime, torture, rape, wars, received no attention from God? Oh thats ok... maybe that's part of his plan. And what is that exactly? Only he knows of course.

But yet, we are unwilling to give our much less powerful human leaders any leeway, when they show any sign of not being able to effectively manage issues in our world....

I believe George Carlin was right when he said:

“I've begun worshipping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, and a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to "God" are all answered at about the same 50% rate.”

• whathappened
    whathappened

25 years ago I was married to an Elder who was severely depressed and our marriage was awful. When we got married we thought Armageddon was coming in 1975. We would then be perfect so what difference did it make if we weren't "perfect" for each other. I prayed and cried, prayed and cried. No answer from Jehovah as to how to make my marriage bearable. It never dawned on me that the reason he didn't answer my prayers (which were in accordance with his will) was because he didn't exist.

Now I see how if he is up there and he lets these horrible tornados hit, these earthquakes come, these atrocities happen that he is a lousy heavenly father. I do not believe he is there. If man were made in God's image, and our human fathers would do anything to protect his children from danger and disaster, why wont God do it?

The vindication of God's name is a worthless concept. What father would put his children in such jeopardy for the sole purpose of teaching them a lesson and vindicating his right to be the supreme one?

I am an atheist now and know I understand how come I used to think that God worked in mysterious way. His ways are mysterious because he isn't really there. End of mystery.

• Laika
    Laika

Yes sir, you are already forgiven, God's just waiting for you to join the party. :)

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Isn't it amazing that us humans, have such little expectactions and such low standards for the Allmighty, All-powerful creator of the universe?

Anything is excusable. If God seemingly helps you, he loves you. If he does not help you, he also loves you because perhaps he has something better.

Starvation, cancer, crime, torture, rape, wars, received no attention from God? Oh thats ok... maybe that's part of his plan. And what is that exactly? Only he knows of course.

redvip2000

One would think that, ultimately, it is God's responsability, not ours, if mankind doesn't massively turn to God in worship. Simply because it is God's choice not to openly reveal himself to each and everyone, rather, he expects people to "find him" amidst the darkness. See how Paul described the process in Acts 1:27:

"so that they would search for God and perhaps grope around for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us."

It's God's choice to wait to be found, rather than to reveal himself openly to everyone in a most obvious way. But it's a test to our capacity to develop faith. But ultimately if someone fails to develop faith, stumbles upon the problem of evil, and fails to see evidence of God in the natural world, God considers that person personally accountable: " they have no excuse for not knowing God.", wrote Paul in Romans 1:20

God has a whole universe to deal with; Perhaps even more than one universe. Perhaps he has other life forms elsewhere to deal with. We don't know that, but I don't see why not. As put in the movie "Contact": If we're alone in the universe, it would be a terrible waste of space.

We tend to be attention whores regarding God. We want this, we want that, we need this, we need that; Where is God when I need him? Believing in God and perceive him as our heavenly Father doesn't mean he is like an ideal Father in an ideal human household. Don't expect God to baby you and carry you in his lap. He's more like our "biological Father" (in the sense that he caused our life to be), and he assigns angels to deal with human matters; Ocasionally he personally devotes some of his time and attention to his creation on this planet. His Son, Jesus, is the one he assigned to deal more closely with humans. I suspect it has been the case since manking was created. He is the one whom God decided that would become "eternal Father, even "mighty god" for mankind. (Isaiah 9:6) That's why we tend to relate better with Jesus. Jehovah, on the other hand, is like a busy father working abroad, commanding respect and credit for his Godship, and therefore, exclusive worship; so it's rather presumptuous on our part to imagine that God is our personal concierge service.

Eden

• prologos
    prologos

there is this story, (probably ficticious) that this man commited the unforgivable sin.

he lived 900 + years. unforgiven to the last day.

Forgiveness? I would advise not to worry about it.

instead, make sure not to waste the life you have been given.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Your replies are really interesting to me. I love tham all.

EdenOne -

"so that they would search for God and perhaps grope around for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us."It's God's choice to wait to be found, rather than to reveal himself openly to everyone in a most obvious way. But it's a test to our capacity to develop faith. But ultimately if someone fails to develop faith, stumbles upon the problem of evil, and fails to see evidence of God in the natural world, God considers that person personally accountable: "they have no excuse for not knowing God.", wrote Paul in Romans 1:20

You know that could have been me talking some months ago.

Here's my problem with this.....it's a cop out for the uselessness of a failure god.

As I've said before, it's all very well quoting the bible as evidence but one needs to establish if the bible is god's word in the first place. My opinion is that it fails like all the other so called holy books. Just the writings of men. 'Grope around' and 'no excuse' are just men using propaganda methods to bully people into believing in their delusion.............but that's just what I think......others may disagree.....and I defend their right to do so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit